The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1943 D-18 - sold elsewhere
Andrew Wright

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 7:27 pm    

It's time to sell this outstanding example of a wartime Martin D-18.

I acquired this guitar in 2011 from the son of the original owner, who played it for a number of years after his father's death. The guitar was purchased new by his father for $100 in 1943 - passed on to the son in the 1970s when the original owner had a stroke and couldn't play. Has always been taken good care of, and shows it. In a few conversations with the seller, I was lucky enough to obtain pictures of the original owner as well as some recordings from the '50s or '60s of him playing it, as well as some great anecdotes of this beautiful vintage Martin's rich history.

Here's an audio sample of John Manley playing this guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0B0SCpBK0I

Here's a clip of me playing the same song 50 years or so later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8qDfCGTGDE&feature=youtu.be

You can also hear this guitar in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4YYuC1zVM

Jim Baggett of Mass Street Music examined it for me and confirmed the finish, which exhibits some crazing and flaking (particularly on the back of the neck), was original. The original bridge was low, suggesting it had been shaved and re-seated in the past, and there was a maple bridgeplate doubler, likely installed when the center seam crack was glued and cleated and the pickguard was replaced. There was also a pickguard crack, a repaired center seam crack on the back, and a repaired "key crack" area on the treble side with finish touch-up. But it was the real deal - super-tight old great Adirondack red spruce top, tasteful tortoise binding, ebony rod - exactly why so many people love these war-time D-18s.

I sent it to highly respected repairman Dennis Berck. Dennis made and installed a new period-correct ebony bridge (original bridge will be sent with the guitar), removed and replaced frets, filled fingernail grooves in first position with glue and wood dust, and removed the bridge plate cap. Dennis also confirmed the finish as original. While this D-18 shows playwear and some dings and scrapes (including a spot on the top that looks suspiciously like an attempt to carve a couple letters), it's in very good shape overall. Dennis has it playing like a dream with medium strings.

Now, the sound….loud, full, and beautiful. Really strong bass, as you'd expect, but sweet trebles, as well. Has turned heads and ears at every jam I've ever brought it to, and more than one person has summed it up with a, "Now THAT'S what a guitar is supposed to sound like!" It's remarkably lively - the notes just seem to jump out of the guitar like you've shot them from a rubber band.

The original case will be included with the sale, shipped separately. As you can see, the handle has fallen apart and is mostly just the wire frame at this point.

I've truly enjoyed my time with this guitar, and I hope to see it go to another player who will appreciate it as I have. There are many decades of great music left in this one, for sure!

Now $15,500, including an Access brand case and the original case.

Will ship in a Calton instead of the Access case for $600 more.

Many pictures at http://www.guitarmatch.com/43d18.htm

Last edited by Andrew Wright on 23 Jun 2017 6:05 pm; edited 3 times in total

Andrew Wright

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2016 8:25 pm    

Open to a trade + cash deal.

Andrew Wright

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 7:30 am    

Reduced price by $1250 from my original $16,750 asking price.

Andrew Wright

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 5:05 pm    

Ugh. The only thing worse than feeling like I need to sell this guitar is feeling that way and not finding a buyer. Nobody's looking for a wartime D-18?

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 4:01 pm     Martin

I feel your pain. That is a outstanding looking Martin. I sent out a couple of feelers to some folks I know for you. Good luck....God Bless