The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone have problems with Loud drummers?
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 7:50 am    

A banjo is basically a drum with strings.
Pete,Gotta love those Silver Beetles. Smile

Last edited by Bud Angelotti on 13 Dec 2016 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 9:40 am    

Roger said:
Quote:
Greg,
The drummers at steel guitar shows are musicians, not just drummers. There is a difference. It's playing "with" the band and playing what the music calls for that makes the difference. Another of my pet peeve with drummers is the train wreck at the end of a song. It's like, "you didn't hear enough drums in the song, so here is a little extra for you". When the song is over, it's over.

I find it a true pleasure to play with a real drummer, or one who is a musician as Roger pointed out. I`m not a professional musician by any means, but I caught on a long time ago that drums are not a lead instrument in most contexts. Too many drummers are whipping the living crap out of their drums out of frustration. I think some of it has to do with jealousy over not having a big enough share of the limelight compared to the lead players in the band. That`s where all that adding tiresome drum tags after the song is over comes from. Mostly it`s a childish attempt to share the limelight. I figure if you absolutely have to play lead then you ought to learn a lead instrument instead of drums or bass. That would be more productive than sabotaging the music the rest of the band is trying to create.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 12:23 pm    

Dick Wood wrote:
I've noticed that the best drummers I have ever played with bring a basic kit. Two cymbals,kick snare and a ride tom.

I played a recent gig with a 59 year old female who had great timing and used the bare minimum of drums,almost no cymbals and it sounded great.

One of the best drummers that I've had the pleasure of sharing a stage with is Timmy "Topcat" Campbell. Years ago, Timmy was driving to Austin from Georgia (straight through) to make the gig. He made it just in time for the downbeat, but only had his sticks. He ended up playing on a cardboard beer carton - and doing an amazing job. I have a picture from that particular gig.

[img]
[/img]

Keep on pickin'
Glenn

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 1:41 pm    

I've played with overly loud drummers, guitar players, bassists, horn players, keyboard players, vocalist who wouldn't shut up while the band had a ride etc. There are musicians with no sense of context on every instrument out there. See the complaints on 6 string forums of PSG players who never lay out for an example.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 3:36 pm    

Quote:
He ended up playing on a cardboard beer carton - and doing an amazing job.

That's really funny Glenn. It reminds me of a drummer I knew who was visiting at our hunting camp once. We were all sitting around the table having a few beers and this guy picked up a couple of utensils and started playing along with the radio. His drums consisted of beer bottles and wine glasses mostly, but we were amazed at the music he was getting out of what was at hand. Guys like that are fun to be around. I had occasion to share a stage with him a couple of times and it was a blast. No din, just finesse and contagious rhythm. He made everyone play better.

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 4:51 pm    

My view is that it depends on the music you're playing. If I'm playing rock I want a drummer that makes the snare crack. You can't get that sound without hitting hard. Could be because rock drumming developed with electric guitarists trying to overdrive their amps. It's got to be appropriate for the situation but there is no one right way.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 6:25 pm    

In 1984, King Sunny Adé (With Demola Adepoju on pedal steel) toured America with a 22 piece band with band with 8 drummers and percussionists. (I went to see the steel player.)

The 8 drummers added an amazing level of intensity and excitement, but they never overpowered the singers and musicians.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 7:02 pm    

The drummer I work with the most, Roger Cox, is definitely a heavy hitter. But the difference is, he's NEVER out of control or plays anything extraneous. I hate bashers who overplay, no matter the volume.

Conversely, I dislike playing with wimpy, mealy-mouthed drummers who refuse to LAY IT DOWN. My legs always hurt after those gigs, because I spend the whole gig stomping to try and get the drummer to PLAY. Mad

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 6:12 am     Anyone have problems with Loud drummers?

Everybody has problems with loud drummers.

Except The Boss.

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 8:45 am    

I started life as a drummer and if it wasn't for all the hardware it would probably still be my main instrument. There's nothing like laying down the road so the rest of the band can get to where they're going.
In live situations even the most band friendly drummers are challenged by room acoustics, stage depth (or lack of it,) etc., but there is no excuse for the drummer that disregards the audience. Drummers dictate the stage volume level and that in turn affects front of house levels. Amps get turned up so guitarists can hear themselves, only vocals and acoustic instruments wind up in the PA mix, audience in front of stage can't hear vocals, audience in back of house only hear vocals. Really stupid.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 1:46 pm    

Joe Ribaudo wrote:
I started life as a drummer and if it wasn't for all the hardware it would probably still be my main instrument.

So, you decided to go light-weight and sparse and play.........pedal steel!?!?

Confused Confused Confused

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 2:56 pm    

@Jim... true, true. And it takes just about as much time to set up and break down too. But at least I'll be able to sit down and act my age on stage. (Wonder what that'll be like?)

Kevin Engbretson

Monroe, WA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 6:58 pm    

Glenn,
I know that stage...Poodie's Hill Top Bar n Grill...played there many times
between 1995 and 2010...great sounding stage always.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 9:32 pm    

No problem for me...I wont play in a group with a drummer !
When I was in Europe, early 50s, ( Army), we had a country band that played the officers clubs etc. The so-called leader told us he was getting a drummer. I said "he can have my spot" !! & I left ! Very Happy
In Hawaiian music, usually no drummer ! Very Happy

Tony Smart

Harlow. Essex. England
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 4:52 am    

I've played with a drummer who sometimes did the big crash at the end.
When he used to do the dum dum dum (rest) Cerashhhhh,
I would play a loud bass note, not in the key we were in, just as he raised his arms for the final explosion. Then I'd give the guitar player a dirty look. He was in on it and would do the same to me sometimes.
It can actually sound quite funny. The drummer finaly twigged what was going on and ended up having a chuckle himself.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 4:58 am    

The reason I mentioned Springsteen--Max Weinberg is one of the loudest drummers in the business (I'm pretty sure he can play softly.)
They play in auditoriums.

These guys have auditoriums in their heads, like singers who sing to a club as if there were several thousand people there.
Don't know what you can do about delusions.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 4:57 pm    

Yes. I always did. Its partly what lead to permanent hearing loss / tinnitus.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 5:41 pm    

I am happy with our drummer but I will say other than our Friday night opry type show in a rather small venue with Clark who plays with taste my next most enjoyable gig was in a restaurant playing steel with a bass player and singer who played acoustic rhythm guitar. Volume about as much as you would use playing music on a radio in your home or car.
Hit a light chime, you could hear it.
Jerry

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 6:17 pm    

I am blessed with our drummer, Harold Blake (ex-Buckaroo). He was first call at Capital Records back in the Hag's and Buck's early days along with Wynn Stewart. Harold is like a electric rhythm machine. If you listen to David Frizzell and Shelly West version of You're The Reason God Made Oklahoma, you'll hear his fantastic work. He also played twin drums with Jerry Wiggins when Buck would do Vegas. He is currently staff drummer with the Collinsville Opry shows in C'ville, Ok.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 1:54 pm    

I have actually had to tell a drummer that drums are not a lead instrument and shouldn't be heard above the rest of the band, including the vocalist. Of course, it ticked him off and he quit, which was fine with me.

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2016 12:51 pm    

Years ago I was hired as a sit in bass player for a band. The drummer introduced himself to me, said his name and "I'm one of the best drummers in the area because I'm one of the loudest." He was half right.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 1:18 pm    

Chris, which "half"? I think I must have worked with him before. LOL!!

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 1:43 pm    

Jack Hargraves wrote:
I have actually had to tell a drummer that drums are not a lead instrument and shouldn't be heard above the rest of the band, including the vocalist. Of course, it ticked him off and he quit, which was fine with me.

you guys are funny.
here's a drummer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T39ZaFT1kA0

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 2:22 pm    

Quote:
you guys are funny.

I stand by what I said earlier in this thread; that drums are not a lead instrument in most contexts. No question there are exceptions such as illustrated in that video, but in most genres drums and bass are support instruments. And definitely in country music which is where most steel guitarists make their living. Name me one popular country artist whose music is primarily based on drums and bass and I'll think about backing down.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2016 2:24 pm    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:
Jack Hargraves wrote:

you guys are funny.

Thank you......that's outrageously great!

Almost as good as THIS!!

https://youtu.be/sFFcuy_5k2Q?t=1m4s