The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA pull pin wear concern, opinions?
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 2:52 pm    

The bellcranks don't appear too bad, but when I pulled the pull pins on a guitar I'm working on (Derrick Unger's SD-12), the A pedal pull pins had been worn.
I'm thinking just turning them around, putting the grooves on the keyhead side so the wear can be on the other side in the future. Also thinking maybe give them a shot of Triflow so it'll be Teflon taking the wear?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 3:35 pm    

Go with your plan ... just clean up everything in the area first so you don't have any metal-filings left in the oil there.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 3:36 pm    

Wow, that much wear is almost unheard of! It indicates the guitar was played a lot, likely never maintained or oiled, and was also probably over-tuned for years. (Over-tuning, besides tuning issues, can cause lots of excess wear.) Sure, turn them around, and lube them...or just replace them. And if the holes in the pullers are "egged", they'll need replacing too.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 4:45 pm    

The bellcranks are a little egged, but not as much as the pull pin wear would suggest.
Instead of replacement, I'll reassign them. They were both in hole 1, and I see a couple bellcranks using hole 2. That means hole 1 is unused.

Turn the pull pins around, and swap bellcranks so they're in fresh holes.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 8:33 pm    

Have you tried Ace Hardware for replacements?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 9:08 pm    

Ace, for a brass barrel with a smoothbore transverse hole and a threaded longitudinal hole?
Michael Yahl sells new ones, if such are needed. But I think just turning them over and putting them in unused holes will last another 4 decades.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 6:06 pm    

Hey Lane...hows it going??? I think I bought 6 new bellcranks that would have 1 new barrel with them and I bought a xtra pack of 6..there should be 12 barrels in that plastic bag of parts..the aluminum pull rods where in the pedal case..you did find the bag of parts didn't you??
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 6:42 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Wow, that much wear is almost unheard of! It indicates the guitar was played a lot, likely never maintained or oiled, and was also probably over-tuned for years. (Over-tuning, besides tuning issues, can cause lots of excess wear.) Sure, turn them around, and lube them...or just replace them. And if the holes in the pullers are "egged", they'll need replacing too.

I have owned a lot of MSA's, and have worn a few out.. well almost... They are pretty much bullet proof.. I have NEVER seen one of those brass barrels look like that .. There was something way out of adjustment for log time as Donny said to get it in that condition... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 7:33 pm    

I agree Bob, I own, and have owned a bunch of them, and worked on several more, and I've seen a little wear on these parts, but nothing this severe.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.