The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where were you playing fifty years ago? (old picker subject
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 6:32 pm    

In a tent as boy scout learning to play "Peter Gunn" on the open E- string. Or was it a year earlier?

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 3:53 am    

Frank F. wrote: "Holy Smokes Jerry, Jimi Hendrix??!! Nope, wasn't the same dude it was a guy named "Jim" Hendrix who played right handed and was of a differing ethic background... This Jim Hendrix lived in Ojai, Calif at the "Johnny Cash Trailer Rancho" in a mobile home. The trailer park was owned by Johnny Cash's parents and we played their Christmas Party a couple of times although Johnny wasn't there, I think his brother Tommy was though.. "The King of the Bass" served only beer but had live music seven nights a week and the place was usually packed. It was also a Union house as most of the full time gigs were in those days....JH in Va.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 5:28 am    

Ken Lang wrote:
50 years ago I was .....Fixin to get married and still am .

50 years? Golly, man, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and DO it already a'fore she gets a better offer from someone else!

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 7:28 am    

Either the Howdy Club,Shamrock, The Hitching Post or the Pike music wise. Or pitching Fast Pitch Softball for the Lamplighter Café. https://youtu.be/D9uXFEEtR1M

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 7:51 am    

Don what I meant was we were fixin to celebrate 50 years being married. Sunday.

Chuck Stowe

Sycamore, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 10:53 am    

Playing my Framus bass in The Original Smokehouse Band. Mostly covering Rolling Stones songs.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 2:24 pm    

Chuck Stowe wrote:
Playing my Framus bass in The Original Smokehouse Band. Mostly covering Rolling Stones songs.

I saw the red Bill Wyman bass on display in a window of a music store in the seventies, I wish I had purchased it. I wasn't expensive at all.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 3:47 pm    

I just signed a little contract with Cliffie Stone as a Demo session drummer for his New Hall Records Label and Capitol Records while working with Johnny Angel. Johnny was on his (Cliffie's) label as his Artist Songwriter. I was Johnny's drummer and part time working with Jack Tucker and the Oklahoma Player Boys. Mr.Jack Tucker was on that Record Label too!. Also,I started doing recording sessions at Gold Star Recording studios in Hollywood for Johnny and with and my dear late friend Stan Ross. But,I really started my music Industry career in New Orleans with The TOKENS thanks to my neighborhood Musician Artist Mr.Fats Domino and Cosmo. Winking

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 4:03 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
Don what I meant was we were fixin to celebrate 50 years being married. Sunday.

Ken, I kinda thought that was what you meant but a wise-guy like me could not resist a little fun-poking! Congrats on 50! My better half has put up with me for 35 years as of last week altho not all of that was "legal". (we waited till we had 28 years in before making it official).

As for 50 years ago, I was not a musician but if I had been, it certainly would not have been that awful COUNTRY music , I was into Rolling Stones, Dave Clark 5, Animals, etc back then. To say my opinion of country has changed since then would be an understatement!

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 9:13 pm    

Don. I have a house in Panama NY, where I spend the summer. Maybe someday we can got together if I get up that way. My old drummer from college lives in Rochester as well. I've always threatened him with a visit.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 9:13 pm    

Double post

Chuck Stowe

Sycamore, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 7:39 pm    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Chuck Stowe wrote:

I saw the red Bill Wyman bass on display in a window of a music store in the seventies, I wish I had purchased it. I wasn't expensive at all.

Still have it! It's my favorite bass, but you are right its resale price hasn't gone up much in 50 years.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 8:44 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
Don. I have a house in Panama NY, where I spend the summer. Maybe someday we can got together if I get up that way. My old drummer from college lives in Rochester as well. I've always threatened him with a visit.

Ken, I had to look and see where Panama is but I found it. By all means let me know when you get this way, love to get together!

(By the way, it's NOT summer now, headed close to zero later this week!)

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 9:17 am    

I suspected it was a different Mr. Hendrix, Jerry.

Jimi came to mind when I saw your post's title.
50 years ago I was just out of 6th grade and starting my first (standard) guitar lessons.

The teacher used Mel Bay books, but at the end of the lesson said, "here's a new guy that is going to change the guitar world.". He then put on Jimi's "Are You Experienced" LP. I didn't stay with Mel Bay for much longer after that.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 7:45 am    

Joe Casey wrote:
Either the Howdy Club,Shamrock, The Hitching Post or the Pike music wise. Or pitching Fast Pitch Softball for the Lamplighter Café. https://youtu.be/D9uXFEEtR1M

Hey Joe, those are some great old clubs of the past LA scene. I've never played at the Howdy Club but I have held forth at the Shamrock in Lomita and the Hollywood on the Pike in Long Beach. I've never worked the Hitching Post in Gardena but have sat in there with the band when Shorty Bacon was there... I really miss those good old days in SoCal, it'll never be like it was again...

About 51 years or so ago about the time of the Watts Riots I was working up in Lompoc, Ca. at a place called Martin's Manzanita Room with a band made up of all Air Force guys from Vandenberg AFB. I was the only civilian in the group. Here's a picture from those days with myself on my old Gibson ES-225T and Bill Quiesenberry who was an Air Force E-7 sergeant.. I wish I still had that guitar. I do still have that strap though. It was made by Sam Nichols who appeared at the Hollywood on the Pike.........JH in VA.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 9:42 am    

In Westport Ct playing lead guitar in a local band , playing Who, Stones, Beatles etc...

Steel was still 7 or 8 years in the future !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 11:14 am    

I was twelve and got my first job....as a shoeshine boy at the local barbershop. An old black man retired from the job, trained me, taught me how to 'pop' the rag to a rhythm. I got to shine shoes of the patrons while they got their haircut, and got to hear a ton a dirty jokes not meant for a twelve year old! Intrigued with my predessessor's 'bluesy-ness' , I took up harmonica, bought my first LP, an album by Sonny Boy Williamson. And have played blues harp in various bands since junior high, followed by guitar in later years.
I think Steve Martin got the idea for the movie "The Jerk" from watching me! Very Happy

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 12:51 pm    

I was getting "short" in Vietnam. Would resume playing bass at the Belmont Club in St. Paul, MN in the spring

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 10:40 am    

50 years ago I would have been 13 years old.
I was playing guitar in a rock and roll band in the little town of Mercedes, Texas.
We played a few private birthday parties and a couple of junior high "sock hops" in the gymnasium.

I still have the Harmony electric guitar I used back then. Made In The USA.

Lee, from South Texas

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 11:03 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:
50 years ago I would have been 13 years old.
I was playing guitar in a rock and roll band in the little town of Mercedes, Texas.
We played a few private birthday parties and a couple of junior high "sock hops" in the gymnasium.

I still have the Harmony electric guitar I used back then. Made In The USA.

Lee, from South Texas

Lee, that is wonderful. I hope you have that guitar displayed like a Rembrandt on a wall in your house. Amazing you still have it.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 5:43 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
I was twelve and got my first job....as a shoeshine boy at the local barbershop. Very Happy

Brooks, this one's for you! (Even has steel! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsZjdrDVsJY[/img]

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 6:09 am    

Ha! Thanks for that!

Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 9:09 pm    

Foothill Club, Long Beach Ca.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 8:41 pm    

I had a couple Hagstroms; A white 3 pickup & a black 2 pickup 12-string, that I took 6 strings off of.

Hagstroms were the best cheap guitar you could buy at the time. Had SG horns & a Strat body; how couldja go wrong?!

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 9:23 pm    

Mine was exactly like the one in this video. Man, now I wish I still had it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCNcUQ28kFI

On reverb.com:
https://reverb.com/item/866463-hagstrom-i-electric-vintage-guitar-1960s-blue?gclid=CMyf16LC_9ACFYZMDQodEtUH7A&pla=1

$1,099!!! Shocked Whoa!