The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it me .......
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 7:44 pm    

Things are "throw-away" because they are cheap to replace (because of cheap overseas labor and/or automation), not necessarily because they are hard to fix. An amp is more likely to be worth repairing (economically) if it gets repaired in the same country in which it was made, where labor costs are more in line.

Troubleshooting and repairing a PCB to component level is not the big obstacle. It's U.S. repair labor rates vs. cost of replacement, and for many items we've been spoiled by availability of cheap stuff from overseas.

Side benefit: Lots of good fixer-uppers are out there for next to nothing if you know how to work on them.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 2:08 am    

Side benefit: Lots of good fixer-uppers are out there for next to nothing if you know how to work on them.

How many of us use instrument amplifiers ?

How many of us know how to fix them if they break ?

Same goes for all electronics ....especially TV's ...

I was amazed at my TV tech when I told him what TV I had and what was happening with it ..He told me when it was made ( within a 3 month period ) and what was wrong with it ....ALL OVER THE PHONE WITHOUT SEEING THE TV !!.
I asked him if he did magic shows on the side ....It's like these things have "Replace Timers " on thsm

...Getting back to the reality of the matter, it cost me less to buy a new TV than to have the old one fixed and I would have a longer waranty on it ... So I guess it's ..they make it cheap, we sometimes buy it cheap, and replace it often ...Not like it use to be ...Build it good , buy it fairly , and have it last a long time , and if it breaks pay someone a fair price to fix it .... HA !!!...."and that was yesterday, and yesterdays gone "

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 10:06 am    

Quote:
It's like these things have "Replace Timers "
Most consumer electronics does, I'm afraid. It's a very old, and by now very public, "secret" strategy, aimed at keeping markets alive, and not limited to electronics either.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 1:57 pm    

Georg,
Oh to be young and dumb again ....Ignorance really is bliss !!..The older , and wiser I get , the more I feel betrayed, and feel like everything is a scam, and most of the time it really is a scam !!....Jim

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 3:55 pm    

Georg Sørtun wrote:
Quote:
It's like these things have "Replace Timers "
Most consumer electronics does, I'm afraid. It's a very old, and by now very public, "secret" strategy, aimed at keeping markets alive, and not limited to electronics either.

Does a 2000 hour light bulb last 2000 hours??? It must have a 500 hour timer in it Smile

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 4:42 pm    

Carl Mesrobian wrote:
Does a 2000 hour light bulb last 2000 hours??? It must have a 500 hour timer in it Smile
Buy a larger one and dim it 25%, and it may last 10000 hours Very Happy