The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which program ???
Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 12:10 pm    

I currently use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. How does it compare to Google chrome? Does anyone have an opinion as to which is better or is there another that is better. Also I have free antivirus programs..i.e. Avast and I use Super antispyware. I know a paid version of any program would be better but I am not sure which one I should use. I have had free Malwarebytes, but not at this time. Can someone give me some advice which program is best and once I make up my mind I will get the paid version. My computer has Win 7.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 3:36 pm    

I have four browsers installed on my Windows 10 Home PC. Despite this, I prefer Firefox to Chrome, which I prefer over Edge or IE.

One reason I prefer Firefox is due to the numerous Add-On extensions and themes that work in it, plus the fact that it has a built in option to only load tabs as they are selected. This comes in handy if you save 40 or 50 tabs when you close the browser and have it set to re-open the previously used tabs. Do this in Chrome and the browser will bring the system to a halt as it tries to load all those tabs at the same time.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 3:41 pm    

I use Trend Micro Internet Security on two computers and still have one license left for a third.

As for Malwarebytes, I am trying out the newest version, 3.0, which combines anti-malware, anti-exploit and anti-ransomware in one interface. The license costs more than MBAM alone, but seems to be worth it. I haven't decided if there is any issues between it (version 3) and Trend Micro.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 4:28 pm    

In practical use I range browsers like: Opera, Firefox, Chrome, IE, Edge. This ranging is based on"what I am used to", backed up by testing of how a multitude of browsers handle things in daily use.

Latest Opera versions are pretty much "Chrome on steroids", and handle multiple tabs much the same way as Firefox. Can not really say which one is "best" of Opera and Firefox, as it depends on what I'm using them for.

For security I have a paid plan for ESET Smart Security covering 4 winPCs, paid for 3 years at a time. Have relied on ESET for over a decade, and it hasn't let me down yet.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 5:31 am    

Thanks Wiz. I will stick with the firefox because I have been happy with it. I am going to get a paid antivirus program but I am not sure which to get. If and when I do get one and if it will cover more than one computer would it be safe to install it on a Win XP. Since Windows dropped support of XP, I disconnected it from the internet and do not use it anymore.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 8:29 am    

Harold Dye wrote:
Thanks Wiz. I will stick with the firefox because I have been happy with it. I am going to get a paid antivirus program but I am not sure which to get. If and when I do get one and if it will cover more than one computer would it be safe to install it on a Win XP. Since Windows dropped support of XP, I disconnected it from the internet and do not use it anymore.

Then Trend Micro Internet Security is probably what you are looking for. I have the 3 license flavor, but there is also one up that covers 5 "devices" in total. That can be a mix of computers, phones and tablets. Plus, it still protects XP computers. If you want to know particulars ask me.