The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gold Tone PBSM Solid Mahogany and Wechter Scheerhorn Rob Ick
Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 8:39 am    

Asking this question because I don't live by a store that carries both models to try.
Gold Tone PBSM Solid Mahogany and Wechter Scheerhorn Rob Ickes

Generally speaking considering
1.Loudness
2.Not as much Dull Tone

Are there vast differences where either one sounds inferior to the other. Or different categories. Say one sounds beginner while the other sounds professional. Does it warrant spending a lot more money for one or the other. Or if only one of these models was available the player would be happy with either. Want a professional sounding instrument.Thanks

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 10:20 am    

Keenan also posted his questions on Resohangout.com

This was my first reply on that forum:

Any Wechter/Scheerhorn still being sold is going to be either NOS (New Old Stock) that never made it out of a store, or a used guitar. It's been going on four years now since they were last produced.

I have only played one solid mahogany Gold Tone/Beard and I recall it being a pretty nice guitar, don't recall if it had a Beard setup.

I have a played a few W/S Ickes ('Ickehorn") and one in particular blew me away, I've posted about here in the past. It was at ResoSummit 2010 (Nashville) and Rob had it for sale in the merchandise area. It had just been set up by Tim Scheerhorn himself. Rob hadn't even played it yet and I asked him if I could take it for a test drive. He stood about 10 feet way and he said, "I can't believe how loud that thing is!" It wasn't just loud, it had a pleasing tone. Wish I could have brought it home but I'd already spent enough money on that trip as it was. To my ear it sounded as good or better as at least half the dobros at the conference, many which were considerably more expensive guitars.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 10:33 am    

They are both of "equal class" in my mind and simply reflect the visions of their different designers (Paul Beard or Tim Scheerhorn"

The PBSM is still being built. The W/S is not.

Setup will be the key.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 11:15 am    

I agree with Howard, I've owned both and played several of each and found them comparable and a fine Reso at reasonable cost. I happen to have a fine Ickes WS Available right now, only because it lacks a pickup which I need currently. Otherwise a stellar guitar.