The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Uneven pedal height. 70s MSA Classic
Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 3:03 pm    

My guitar is a 76 MSA Classic D10

My B pedal is a lot lower than my A pedal and lower than the C pedal also. Do I need to live with it or is there something I can do even out the pedal heights. It feels awkward when going to B+C on minor chord changes. I need more practice also and 3 set of eyes. Shocked

Thanks

PS. The A and B pedals are working good together. I think I need to lower the C pedal closer to the B.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 4:13 pm    

Yes, the C-pedal can be lowered. Remove the C-pedal rod, put it in a vise, and loosen the lock nut (on top of the spring collar). Then turn the collar counter-clockwise two or three times and put the rod back on the guitar. After you've decided if it's lowered enough, you can remove the pedal rod, put it back in the vise, and re-tighten the nut (making sure the spring collar doesn't rotate). Then you can reinstall it on the guitar.

(Note: As the locknuts are normally very tight, I don't recommend trying to tighten or loosen them while the pedal rod is installed on the guitar, as there's a chance you could snap off the ball stud. )

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 4:31 pm    

Great write up by Donny....If more adjustment is needed; There is also a set screw (allen key head) on the front apron that is your 'pedal travel stop'..... they are tight so get the right size on there first time.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 5:35 pm    

Are they the same when they hit bottom?
The B pedal rests lower because it has a shorter throw.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 8:29 pm    

Thanks Everyone.

No Lane. The B pedal rests lower and it bottoms out lower also. My raised heel dress shoes were not helping either. I may not be able to play this thing in boots. I better try that out first.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 9:14 pm    

To adjust pedal height, LEAVE THE PEDAL ROD CONNECTED TO THE PEDAL. Then loosen the locknut at the top of the fitting, then release fitting from the pedal (the pedal helps hold it still). Twist the fitting on the rod in whole-turn increments. Due to the nature of leverage, you won't need to shorten the B pedal rod much.
If you need pics, I can take some, but it should be evident.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 10:41 pm    

'Like' button

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 12:55 am    

Russ Wever lives in Illinois, He cab set it up for you.

There are some guys here who are highly accomplished technicians. And some like me who are not. I do not attempt to do mechanical stuff, Instead, if I need something done I take my steels to my local qualified repair guy (Jim Palenscar.) Consequently my steels are in excellent working condition.

If you don't know what you are doing, I suggest that you take the guitar to somebody who does.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 7:54 am    

Illinois is a big state: if you live along 70 or 64, I can stop in my semi and adjust it for you, just bring your guitar and seat to a truck stop or rest area.
There are techs near Chicago, and if you're near St. Louis, there are a few cats there.
For a close-up of a fairly normal setting of pedal heights, here's a video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1RsouvuuEDc

Mike Spaeth

Springdale, Arkansas
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 12:17 pm     pedals

Ed,

I'm in central IL, where are you in IL?

Mike

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 5:07 pm    

Hi Mike

I'm from the Springfield area.

I'm such a noob. It actually isn't playing too bad now. I braved the cold and went to the garage and got a proper seat. I was sitting on a utility bench that is too low. I thought the pivot point for the ankle would be the heel on the floor and butt height wouldn't matter too much. But it seems to help to sit up higher.

Jerry Erickson just set this guitar up not long ago. It was pretty rough but he did a great job on the rebuild. Now that it is cold I'm just starting to dig in to it. I think the the C pedal could come down a hair. A & B pedal are rocking well together.

Thanks everyone.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 11:00 am    

Thanks again everyone. Jerry walked me through what I needed to do. I spent the morning tweaking the pedals. It is playing a lot better for me now.