The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Some guy on a 'Bud Keyless...
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 8:39 am    

Never saw a keyless Sho-Bud before, except in pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D3lBWoxt3Q

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 8:42 am    

Here's another "some guy" on a Sho-Bud from 1962...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSkq_heYpvQ&list=PL91iH-gNrnJK_nHsRZFTjk--JyuD3dW_k

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 11:53 am    

Hal sure was some guy. I love his bar hopping riffs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 3:26 pm    

Neat, first time I've seen Hal play any keyless. Don't know other guy, lol.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 4:47 pm    

I spoke with Hal years ago about that guitar. It was built on a Maverick body. Don't know if they built anymore or not. The guitar, in pieces, ended up at Ed Naylor's shop when he was in Portsmouth, Ohio.

Greg

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 5:42 pm    

RED RHODES developed a keyless tuning device (ca 1968--- 1971?), which he mounted on a Fender 800 PSG. When Red found out that Sho-Bud was going to build a keyless guitar he had a lawyer send Sho-Bud a Cease & Desist order, claiming to have a patent on a keyless guitar. Sho_Bud gave up the idea of a keyless guitar.
I believe Sho-Bud made less than 5--6 keyless guitars. ??

I believe Red tried the same ploy with Fender, but they told him to take a hike. Laughing I don't know why Fender gave up on their PS-210 guitar. Question Fender made about 15 keyless guitars. Basil Henriques in England has A Fender PS-210 guitar.

The info I have provided is to the best of my knowledge & may need to be corrected. ??

Roger Shackelton

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 5:44 am    

Roger Shackelton wrote:
RED RHODES developed a keyless tuning device (ca 1968--- 1971?), which he mounted on a Fender 800 PSG. When Red found out that Sho-Bud was going to build a keyless guitar he had a lawyer send Sho-Bud a Cease & Desist order, claiming to have a patent on a keyless guitar. Sho_Bud gave up the idea of a keyless guitar.
I believe Sho-Bud made less than 5--6 keyless guitars. ??

I believe Red tried the same ploy with Fender, but they told him to take a hike. Laughing I don't know why Fender gave up on their PS-210 guitar. Question Fender made about 15 keyless guitars. Basil Henriques in England has A Fender PS-210 guitar.

The info I have provided is to the best of my knowledge & may need to be corrected. ??

Roger Shackelton

In 1969 Red told me himself, with great pride and just a hint of arrogance Laughing, that he stymied David Jackson's idea about a keyless guitar. So that part is most definitely true.

As to Fender, I don't know about the keyless thing. But Gene Fields called me that same year to ask if I'd bring my Sho~Bud Crossover down to Fullerton so that Fender's patent attorneys could examine the neck-changing feature of the S~B. I drove down from Hollywood and the lawyers did their thing and determined there was no conflict with the Sho~Bud design. That's where I got my first look at the prototype PS-210, which Gene had been playing at his nighttime club gig (many musicians working at Fender had night gigs).

I asked Gene then how he came up with the idea for the PS-210, and he said "lots of nights in bed staring up at the ceiling." Wink

Both Red and Gene were incredibly "forward" thinkers in the steel world. David Jackson as well, of course.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 9:27 am    

Ernie Ball had made a bunch of Keyless guitars and I actually got to play one at the Ernie Ball place in Costa Mesa,I think it was called the"Eagle"They told me that I could buy one from them but for some reason they weren't gonna advertise them,I went to see my buddy Red Rhodes at his shop a few weeks after and he gloated to me about his lawyers wouldn't let Ernie Ball sell these guitars because He"Red"owned the patent on a keyless guitar.That's what Red told me. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 12:01 pm    

Roger Shackelton wrote:

It was a business decision, plain and simple. Fender knew very quickly the sales just weren't there. Their new design was still expensive to make and assemble, and also wound up being heavy and not acceptable to most players (due to the lever limitation and keyless aspect). Ironically, all but one of those reasons were pretty much the same reasons that their cable guitars went out of fashion.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 9:48 pm    

The Ernie Ball keyless guitars were known as "Earthwood Guitars". Harley Morris owned a S-12 Earthwood Guitar tuned to E-9 tuning. Earthwood guitars were displayed at Scotty's convention in about 1975.

In 1972 after visiting a music store in Fullerton, Ca. I was able to get an invitation from Gene Fields to visit the Fender Factory. He showed me a Fender PS-210 guitar & demoed it for me. Before leaving Fender Gene invited me to stop by a club known as "The Doll House" where he was playing that evening.

Roger