The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Help with an Excel Superb S12 Rodding Chart Please!!
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 10:03 am    

Folks,
A)
I recently obtained a Superb S12 guitar that someone completely disassembled and let set away for several years. There is a little rust on some of the tuning screws and it needs some cleaning but I'm excited to have it.

I sent an email earlier this month to Mr. Mitsuo asking for his assistance but I suspect he is very busy so I’m pleading to the SGF
Community for help.

The Superb Changer is much too sophisticated for me to guess at the best way to Rod it so I'm asking for help from some Excel owners.

I have attached pictures of it, a template to use for Rodding it along with the typical Newman Universal Tuning Copedant with a Blank Rodding Chart under Jeff’s Tuning.

- Would someone please send me a Rodding Chart for the Newman Tuning? Please state the hole in the changer followed by the hole in the Bell Crank in the white spaces for each Pull.
-Would someone please send me an Instruction Manual for it explaining how to properly utilize all of the features including the “Changer Bar?”(I don't know what else to call it but I pointed it out in my Depiction Drawing) and the tone controls?

- Please make recommendations for the proper string gauges to use on the 25.5" scale length. I've never owned a guitar with that scale.

**Even if you play a D-10 Excel Superb with the same Changer and Bell Cranks your charts could be helpful.**

B)
At the bottom I am including my experimental “Gulf Coast Universal Tuning” Copedant that I actually desire to install on it. If you want to make suggestions on Rodding my Experimental Tuning I would welcome that too. But having the Newman set-up as a basis to start would be a great help

Some notes: The Experimental “Gulf Coast Universal Tuning” Copedant is really just a standard 10-string Emmons style copedant that is extended to 12 strings. Then one Locking Lever places the tuning in B6th and utilizes a Long Vertical Lever like Jeff Newman used on both the B6th and the E9th tunings. Another option is to use a second Locking Lever to place it in an F6 tuning from strings 4 through 12. This tuning is used frequently in South Louisiana in Cajun Music today. In addition, G6th is too, so all I'd have to do is place a capo on the second fret and I will be set to play even more Cajun music AND Bluegrass because the tuning is so similar to a Dobro tuning.

I suspect that the guitar would be Rodded just like most other Excel Newman Universal guitars except for the additional Changes that my Experimental Copedant has on it.

Please email me for my phone number if you’d like to talk on the phone to clarify anything.

I appreciate any help!!

Best regards,

The Newman Tuning:

The Gulf Coast Universal Experimental Tuning:

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Last edited by Marty Broussard on 7 Dec 2016 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 1:16 pm     Excel

Marty.....Mr. Bill Stafford in Gulfport MS is very versed on these guitars you might give him a call or an e-mail. His email is: Schiefsan@aol.com his phone number is: 228-832-6454 I'm quite sure that he would be happy to help you out. Happy holidays to you and yours !
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 2:41 pm    

Thanks Hal!!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 5:42 pm     Excel

Hi Marty, I play a 10 string Ext E9....here's some pics...not what you're lookin for but hope they help....I've setup and rebuilt a 1/2 dozen Excels like this....Larry:D

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 7:09 pm    

Typically as I recall the top row is used for raise helpers, etc, the next tab is for lowers, the next set is for raises, and the last set is for lowers as well.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 8 Dec 2016 7:17 pm    

Thanks guys. Hope to install a set of strings next week and test the pup.

Ron Kassof

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 8:59 am    

Marty,
Check your email.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 10:20 am    

Thank you Very Much Ron!!