The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  System Clock Sync?
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 10:29 am    

So having a minor issue with my system clock, thinking all y'all can help out a bit................

Running W7 Pro 64 bit but have noticed my system clock as displayed in the system tray seems to be about a minute or so behind times shown on TV programs with live time stamps and radio announced times too.

Recently while watching an eBay auction ending while also having my Auction Sniper also engaged and counting down there was a full minute difference, me "behind" eBay's official time.

How can I sync my system clock with a more reliable source? BTW I have reset the displayed time so often now and finally gave up. If there's a solution that'd be great to know.

TIA everyone! Smile

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 12:10 pm    

You can choose a server to sync with by right clicking the clock. "adjust date/time", then "internet time", then "change settings". I can choose from a list of 5.

Generally, the inability to stay in sync is often the result of a failing PC battery. They can be replaced for a couple of bucks and are located on your motherboard. It's a dime-sized battery that will pop out. They last several years in my experience.

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 12:59 pm    

Mitch--WOW is all I can say! Smile It never occurred to me the MB's battery could be an issue. That's easily fixed naturally, I'll change it and see how that works

I do have internet time enabled, currently sync's with time.windows.com but not due to re-sync until Dec 13th. Should I use another of the options for internet time synchronization?

Thanks!

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 2:04 pm    

I'm currently using time-a.nist.gov.

But that was chosen purely at random. I've never had problems with any of the choices. As far as I know, one is as good as another. But I wouldn't expect them to agree with each other.

BUT................if you like to snipe Ebay, you may as well periodically adjust your clock to match Ebay time--assuming that's the most critical use of your clock and that you don't otherwise care about being a few seconds off some other syncing mechanism.

I'm not heavily into Ebay, but the last time I sniped I did it manually, knowing my clock was within a second of Ebay's clock. I popped "submit" with 3 seconds to go and won. Of course if you have several items closing within a short time span, you'd probably be better of with a sniping program.

J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 2:22 pm    

I do in fact have a sniper program---had I not accidentally noticed it's count down clock wasn't in sync with eBay's it would have gone unnoticed for who knows how long.

The upside is my sniper is sync'd to eBay's main server so snipes aren't in danger of being made too late. OTOH the count down display time I can see while on that the sniper's site is tied to my system clock.

This really isn't a critical issue, more of an annoyance and makes me curious why it happens.

Thanks again---knew this was the place for good answers!