The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fry Pan SALE
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 10:15 pm    

Just a comment or two. I recently was faced with a tough decision of having to sell my very early six string Rick Fry Pan. I purchased it several years ago from a reliable Forumite.

The guitar played well and aside from the evidence of natural aging, the unit played wonderfully.

Quite alot of telephone conversations were required from the buyer but the sale was finally concluded for the full purchase price that I asked for. At one point, he suggested I should send him the guitar if he made a half payment then await the balance as he saw to it.

Purchaser lives in Orange, California, and sounds like an intelligent, hard working fellow.

The guitar arrived at purchasers address earlier this month. After a week of no acknowledgement about it being received and/or what condition it was in, I dispatched a letter to him. Right away
there seemed to be some sort of 'attitude' about the guitar.

Today, he telephoned me and immediately started hemming and hawing about the condition of the guitar. The bridge was not to his liking so he replaced it with an aluminum knockoff. He explained that several Forumites with whom he checked told him how the guitar should be functioning. He did a similar background check on my character conferring with unknown members of this Form prior to purchase.

The strings were unevenly aligned and the vintage
pick-up was loose in its mount. None of this ever hindered my playing, if it's indeed true.

He's unable to send me a check for the shipping and handling as he has to go into the hospital fairly soon. However he indicated he had some real work to
do over the weekend with respect to removing the pick-up so as to make it more solid in its mount.

He was somewhat concerned about this requirement as he just installed SIX NEW strings. WOW!

Lastly he complained about the hard shell case that I sent the guitar in. I reminded him that the guitar and case dated back to the early 1930's at
least.

This post was merely to alert some of you newer members of the Forum about some of the problems one can encounter in conjunction with the sale of musical instrument.

If I were you, I'd avoid making any guitar sales in the community of Orange, Calif.

BEWARE! Good Luck!

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 9:32 am     Beware of people in Orange county

Hi Ray,
Just curious. I hope you didn't go for the deal of paying half now and half later. You would have been in a really bad jam with all his complaints etc. If you have all the money you asked for,--forget him and don't even acknowledge any further calls or correspondence. I'm sure you had given him a complete description on this old frypan.
Wally

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 5:42 pm    

I would not ignore anybody's correspondence.
If he's not happy with the guitar have him send the guitar back and refund the money. You should cover your shipping costs. Make sure the guitar is in the condition you sent it to him/her in.
Find another buyer who wants it. There's plenty of guys looking for a fairly priced vintage Frypan.
Most all vintage steels have some quirks and it's part of the heritage.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2016 2:22 pm    

That's the problem with making deals sight unseen with people unknown.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 3:27 pm     Just an update................

Received a telephone call last evening from the purchaser of my great little Ric FryPan.

He has more complaints about the instrument (of course).......
He alleges that 'he had to install new strings'.....and that
the case was not vintage for the guitar. Claims he won't pay for the minimal shipping charges until I removed this post on the SGF 'about him'.

Never dreamed I'd have this kind of a dispute by a Forumite.
I've sold/purchased many guitars and never encountered such a
disagreeable individual.

He states he took the the 1930-ish Fry Pan to Rickenbacker in southern California and they in turn informed him that the guitar was NOT in original condition???????

Does Rickenbacker even exist?????

Not complaining, just sharing.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 4:42 pm    

Do you have your money Ray? If you do tell him to buzz off. Sounds like you've been more than reasonable.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 3:14 pm    

If you ever want to sell a 70 year old car...BEWARE of this guy ! He will probably want the original tires ! My gawd, he actually put on a new set of strings and still he complains....My frypan looks as though it were used as an outrigger paddle. It is ugly, ugly, ugly but still retains that sweet Rickenbacker sound.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2017 11:17 am    

I find that selling my prized instruments is traumatic, even moreso when the buyer doesn't like what he's bought.

For anyone reading this thread, I should point out that Ray is a thoroughly reliable, honest and talented man, who can be counted on. If Ray says that something is genuine then you can believe him.

If you buy a very old instrument you cannot expect it to have no wear and tear. In fact there are manufacturers out there, such as Fender, that make replicas of old instruments and intentionally induce wear marks to make them look old.
http://www.fendercustomshop.com/series/time-machine/1967-heavy-relic-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-faded-3-color-sunburst/

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 9:28 pm    

Quote:
If I were you, I'd avoid making any guitar sales in the community of Orange, Calif.

While I don't live in Orange I find it quite objectionable to suggest boycotting all residents of a city of 140,000 because of a questionable sale.

Honestly, although the pickup's mounting was unknown to you it's still your problem. A seller of a vintage piece should be well-familiar with everything about the instrument, case and any included items and disclose any issues.

The buyer wasn't complaining about only visual items - he claimed there were functional ones and the seller admits he didn't know if there were problems or not, only that he wasn't bothered by any. There's a BIG difference.

If the pickup's mounting "never posed a problem for you" the problem is yours regardless.. If something is wrong with an item and you sell it anyway you are responsible in most States, even if you make the sale "as-is" (that "condition" is not legal in many situations). I've been on both ends of deals like this - when it was my problem I had to bite the bullet.

I do think the buyer should have contacted you right away, and the comment about new strings posing a problem for him is silly - but any issues with the instrument or case not disclosed by you - whether you were aware of them or not - are your responsibility.

Quote:
Does Rickenbacker even exist?????

Seriously? Did you know if it was all original or not? I have no go in this hunt but having bought/sold hundreds of instruments and having worked for a vintage broker that deals in 6-figure collector's instruments I'm very familiar with the practices and legal requirements of used product trade - and while the buyer sounds a bit foolish, the onus is still on the seller.

And the rest of the residents off the city don't have a darned thing to do with it.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional