The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Article About Don Helms
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 11:23 am    

The recent movie about Hank Williams included fictional scenes with Don Helms, and even a nod to Jerry Byrd. Mrs. Lee and I watched it the other night. I recommend it, not as a great movie, but because it keeps the legacy alive.

I found a good article about Don Helms, by a journalist who interviewed him a few years ago. You can read it online here:

www.mcalesternews.com

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 1:39 pm    

Thanks for sharing.

It's timely for me because I just started reading Don's book "Settin' The Woods On Fire" that I scored for only .54 on Amazon (plus 3.99 shipping, of course). I was surprised when I read the following inscription:

"Thanks to Boomer Don Helms 2006"

Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 9:52 pm    

Don Helms certainly had an original, clear-cut style that perfectly complimented Hank. That got me to thinking about Hank Jr's 1969 album that was recorded live at Cobo Hall in Detroit. He had the Drifting Cowboys with him and they played some songs on their own. I was only 14 and don't remember the band personnel but I'd bet that Don Helms and fiddler Jerry Rivers were there. Tomorrow I'll dig the album out, it's been WAY too long.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 12:53 pm    

Enjoyed the article, however a couple of points need clarifying. As a lot of us know, Don did not play on the recording of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry". That was an iconic Jerry Byrd appearance. The guitar player in the lower right of the photo which the author identifies as Bob McNett is actually Sammy Pruitt. The drummer with the Drifting Cowboys which the author saw in concert was most likely J.R. Williams.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2016 2:31 pm    

After TNN closed down, my best friend JL Myers went independent. If you've seen a lot of live interviews with Country stars, you've heard JL's work. He was the go-to guy for live sound interviews. He told me that doing one with Don was an abdo-lute blast. He hung out with Don for quite a while after the interview was done. Don took JL into a back room, and showed JL all his old equipment. JL said he was "just the nicest guy!"
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps