The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zane on Pro Bender Dobro from Jackson
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2016 9:30 am    

Here is a rough little sample of the Pro Bender device from Jackson Steel Guitars on my Gibson Dobro. Here I use an E tuning and the device raises up 3 strings. This takes the Open E tuning from the 1 chord (E) to a 4 chord (A). Obviously, this has two great purposes immediately. The first one is the fact that you can now play in a "pedals down" position. For those Steel players, you know exactly what I mean by this. So now for example you have a C position on your Dobro not only at the 8th fret open but also now at the 3rd fret with the lever engaged. That clearly opens up a whole new dimension for the instrument. Secondly, you are now able to get those moving notes like a "steel guitar" because you can work the lever just like a floor pedal. Check this out and be sure to watch my right hand/wrist work that pedal. I use it constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uUpth2aFsY&feature=youtu.be

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2016 5:56 pm     dobro bender

Zane how would it work for regular tunning G B D G B D how would you set it for this tunning does it just bend the 3-6 string or can it be set to bend more then I or 2 strings thanks

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2016 6:04 pm    

It can work on a G Tuning but it does put a lot more pressure on the cone. Ideally, you want to raise the Bs and Ds. Just give David Jackson a call and he can advise you on what is best.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2016 6:36 pm     Super cool

Zane, Pretty wicked stuff. I love it.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 1:13 pm    

An "workable" idea whose time has come. Great product. I remember seeing it in Dallas a couple of years ago, glad to see it in production. The concept is the same as Jerry Blantons tuning system from MANY years ago.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=130465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=jerry+blanton&start=50