The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Warped Carter Body
Cameron Parsons

Angleton, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 11:49 am    

What do you builders propose as a fix to a warped body? I bought this Carter new in 2007, and it was slightly warped; but it seems to have increased over time. It is inconsequential in any terms but cosmetic. I have no plans to get rid of the guitar, so I would like to have the body repaired or replaced. I would like ideas of options and cost.

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 1:26 pm     warped body

i have repaired this problem a few times, and it can be done with good results. however it does take some time to do as you do not want to steam it. if you would like some more info on this please email me and i will get you my phone number. i will try to explain the process as thorough as i can.
i hope this helps
thanks
wayne brown
c/o
outwest pac-seats

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2016 6:07 am    

Mine is currently being fixed at Steel guitars of Canada for a reasonable price. He had to take the whole C6 undercarriage and back neck and changer off to do the repair.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2016 7:31 am    

Man,,,what would cause such a thing? You'd think with John and Bud's experience,,,,,amazing!!!!

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2016 7:48 am    

Sonny this guitar was left in a very humid environment and neglected for a while I assumed (not by me). The good news is my Carter is as good as new again. I will post a few pics on this thread when I get it back. I was going to tackle the job myself but for the frustration I would rather have people do it who have already done quite a few of them.
This guitar has killer tone. Can't wait to play it again.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2016 11:27 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Man,,,what would cause such a thing?

Exposed surfaces (especially the end-grains) not being properly sealed. Anywhere there is an open end-grain (at cabinet ends, changer hole, or pickup pocket) , it should be coated (preferably with a brush) with a finish or sealer product. Oh Well

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2016 12:19 pm    

Donny,,,seems like John F and Bud C would have known that!! I'm gonna have to go with the humid environment scenario.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2016 1:00 pm    

Sonny, it may sound strange, but I think they still make some boats out of wood (which should prove to just about anyone that if wood is properly sealed or coated, you can even put it in water, and it won't warp).

But I suppose I could be wrong. Wink

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 3:17 am    

I live in "humid" Florida (last 20 years). I have a Franklin and its not "bulging". There are Zum's, Sho-Bud's, Emmons (but no Carter's) at our club jams and none of them are warped.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 3:50 am    

Humidity as well as the choice of wood were the two culprits in my opinion. I'd you take a piece of half sawn wood rather than quarter sawn, and leave it in an damp environment it will cup over time I have seen it happen with board laying around in people's shops. I'm not sure if they put screws from the changer pate up into the section of wood behind the changer or not but I do know that when maple is not properly joined (fastened), over time it will shift if the natural growth rings can I influence it.

On a side not I have seen and EMCI do this as well so yes it could be a design flaw. I guess no guitar is perfect, but considering they are a mass produced guitar and I have on;y seen a handful of them do this I wpuldnt jump ship they are still an awesome guitar

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 7:37 am    

I read where someone said MCI had a floating deck. If that's the case, it could mean that it isn't bolted to some part of the frame. That could likely allow the deck to warp with time and environment.

Since Bud Carter designed both instruments, it would follow that the Carter also has a floating deck.

One of the posts indicate someone has been successful repairing the condition, so I'd be interested to see how that goes.

I don't have any first hand knowledge concerning this, but I have just acquired a welded MCI. It doesn't show any signs of warping, but I'm curious.

There's another post here somewhere re: warped decks.

FWIW, I had a similar condition on an 8 string Emmons. I built some wooden clamps and tried to steam it, leaving it in the clamps for weeks. It worked for a little while, but it soon returned to the warped memory with some less cupping.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 11:23 am    

Wood not cured enough to begin with?
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 12:26 pm    

That's possible, John, but it usually doesn't happen as much with with the higher grades of maple, walnut, ash, and oak that are kiln-dried before milling to final size. But, this guitar could have been stored in a damp environment (where it absorbed a lot of moisture), and then left in a warm/dry place, like a room with a woodstove. That would warp all but the best-finished wood.

If it were my guitar, I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen a ton of acoustic guitars with warped tops, and people go right on playing them. Smile

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2016 8:14 pm    

Mark Giles built a lot of bodies for Carter. He has the templates. Call Mark and ask his advice. Worse comes to worse, Mark should be able to build you a new body.

Cameron Parsons

Angleton, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 6:43 am    

Thanks for all your input.

Last edited by Cameron Parsons on 29 Jun 2017 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2016 10:14 am    

I got my guitar back and must say that Al and the folks did a great job and went over and above the repair and the guitar looks as good as new. It is the best sounding steel I have ever owned.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 9:42 am    

Warped bodies are rare, but can happen to all brands of wooden guitars.

My Carter was made 1999. No problems. I know of several others that are also stable. Poor storage is likely the reason for warp-age. It could have been a bad batch of wood, not properly aged.