The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows 10 question ....
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 5:26 am    

I'm gonna be bending you guys ears a bit since I am not Windows savvy , so please bare with me , and thanks in advance for the help ...

I read up and found that I have to have the "Pro" version of W10 to be able to stop updates from automatically happening ...I need to do this because of time constraint's in what I do ....When I go to my "About" page my "Edition" says Windows 10 Home" however when I look at "System Type" it says "64 bit Operating System X64 Based Processor "

For you guys that have Windows 10 Pro ...

What does yours read in the "About" section under "Edition" and under "System Type " ?

I'm not suppose to be able to go into my Control Panel and adjust whether or not I get Windows Updates , yet I can !!....How can I do this if my "Edition" reads HOME ? .... Does the "System Type " on those of you who have the pro edition OS's read "Windows 10 Pro " ?

I'm gonna learn this WINDOWS STUFF by hook or by crook !!....Thanks again ....Jim

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 1:29 pm    

I have not yet actually used Windows 10, but I have read quite a bit about it.

I may be wrong, but...............I thought that you can only DELAY updates (maybe for 6 months?) rather than avoid them entirely--even if you had the Pro version. Sooner or later you are forced to take them.

Maybe you don't want to avoid them entirely?

Let others comment.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 2:24 pm    

No , I'm not going to avoid them entirely ...I'm just picking the time when I want to download the updates and pick and choose which ones I want ....Some updates are not what I would want , and I would not want to be in the middle of a performance and all of a sudden , here comes an update at THEIR convenience ...I'm sure that they have plenty of good update info as it's their baby !!.... I'm not loading anything into this computer until I know what's what ..Thanks for your reply ....Jim

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 2:52 pm    

James Quackenbush wrote:
and I would not want to be in the middle of a performance and all of a sudden , here comes an update at THEIR convenience ...

A laptop at a performance?

Just turn off WiFi..Problem solved. No Internet connection.

h

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 2:57 pm    

As for the skinny on Win 10 updates.

Click Here!

You should be able to manage the worst bits.

h

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 3:54 pm    

The (independent not a Microsoft site) Windows 10 forum has all the info you need and if not you can post and one of our guru's there will be able to answer your questions.

www.tenforums.com

I have Win 10 Pro, so I can't answer your question directly. However, having a 32 bit or 64 bit OS has no bearing on this area.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 6:30 am    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
Maybe you don't want to avoid them entirely?

It seems to me that MS has updating built in to the system to ensure that people update completely, insisting that
things will run better if the user is in compliance.

I think my unit has only once told me 'I'm sorry, but we're going to have to interrupt whatever you're doing....'
Yeah, it's dictatorial with a smile, and makes changes on its own which nobody likes,
but if we remain in compliance, it will go better for all of us. They can have all my base. I got it free; they own it.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 7:32 am    

Charlie ,
They make changes some we know about , and some we don't .....We don't get a choice on whether or not we like these changes ....They force them on us ,and tell us that this is the better way ....and then they will have penalties if we don't see things their way ....

Hmmmmmmmm.....sound familiar ?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 8:38 am    

I actually agree, more now that as soon as I logged back in online the blue screen with the smiley and said we had to terminate our relationship temporarily.
So I see that my plan to grovel at the feet of the god hasn't worked.

Yes, all too familiar.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 8:48 am    

Sorry to hear Charlie ....He says it will get better !!..Ya gotta BELIEVE !!.....LOL !!...

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 5:05 pm    

James Quackenbush wrote:
They make changes some we know about, and some we don't ..We don't get a choice on whether or not we like these changes ...

I used to be worried about the Win10 "automatic updates", but not anymore. First, the threshold of pain of ditching Windows and going to an alternative OS hasn't been reached yet. And, in the final analysis, Microsoft has zero motivation to issue updates that are detrimental; in fact, the opposite is true.

Have we lost control over which updates we choose to accept? Yep, we have. But IMO, trying to make a decision on whether we want an update or not is moot. MS gives us sketchy summary info about their updates, but we have no way to discern whether the description they offer is complete or not; how can anyone know that the description provided actually specifies everything any given update actually does? I posit no one can.

You pays your money, and you takes your chances, and money paid in my case is zero. Is that a deal, or not? Bottom line, I think I simply have more important things to worry about - life's too short.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 10:30 pm    

Always keep in mind that Microsoft owns all Windows license keys, no matter who built your computer. Windows operating systems are leased to users, with a lengthy contract stating who owns what and can do what with them. You only have the right to use their operating systems as designed or to discontinue using them if you disagree.

As for choosing which updates you want to accept or reject, that matter has changed recently. It is moving to the point where only Enterprise customers can reject certain updates. They pay thousands of dollars for multi seat license packs and are allowed to customize the Windows environment for their workstations. On-site and remote file servers often roll out Windows, driver and software updates to workstations in these situations.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 4:51 am    

Thanks for the info guys .... The fact that brought me over to PC from Mac was partly because of cost , but when I was working on my friends PC that was running Windows 7 Pro , I had no issues , and it was running faster than my Mac !!.... I then built a PC with him and installed Windows 7 Pro for myself , and it has been running flawlessly for a couple of years now ....The only thing that got me mad was the fact that they would decide that I needed a new mail program and switched things around on me and took me a while to get my mail ...I thought that MS was finally on the right path .. When Bill bought into Apple , I thought that perhaps things were looking good to have a PC .. I guess I was wrong ...Taking away someones choice is never a good thing ...."The Love it or leave it" mentality is never a good scenario .. This is a common thread amonst the wealthy and powerful ....Such is life !!...I've got bigger fish to fry ....This was a costly mistake , and perhaps I can still pull a rabbit out of the hat yet !!..You guys have been very helpful and I thank you for it ... If there is one thing I can count on , it's a good bunch here on this entire forum ... Thanks again ....Jim

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 5:55 am    

I sense "buyers remorse" for moving from a MAC to a Windows PC. But, doesn't Apple do similar things? I don't own a MAC PC but I do have an older iPad and an iPhone6 (Plus).

I have Win 10 Pro (and dual boot with the Windows Insider program and advanced versions of Win 10). I use my PC for my recording studio system (Sonar Platinum) and do not have any problems with the updates or interfering with Sonar. However, I do go off line when I use Sonar, just as a precaution.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 7:00 am    

Hi Jack,
With Mac , you can hold onto the OS that came with your computer for YEARS before it get's to the point where you need to upgrade ....but even when you do, it's up to you to do so if you so desire ....It's not pushed on you like PC ...Mac is also a closed system so that anybody who wants to have their program ported for Apple has to meet their strict requirements ...This is why there are so many programs for PC as compared to Apple programs ...PC is an open architecture ...This insures plug and play on the Mac , and not plug and pray like some Window's programs .. Even some well known companies that make PC software drop the ball on newer editions with PC ...A lot of stuff get's pushed thru because they want to be the first to come out with new software ...A lot of it is Beta at best ...In most cases , PC's will run faster than Mac's , and in the event of Window's 7 pro , a lot of user's went to PC as did I ....Anything after Window's 7 has been a "wait and see" kind of situation ...

I'm not a Mac/Apple horn blower ....I blow the horn for anything that WORKS and is less intrusive ....I have PC's and I have Mac's both ....

I've already got $1,000 invested in my laptop ....I want to get another 16 gb of memory that will boost me to the maximum of 32 gb on my laptop....I also want to get a 1 TB SSD to replace the 1 TB HDD that resides in the machine now as my secondary drive ...I would also like to get a larger M.2 drive then what I have now (128 gb that my OS is on ) for my OS and applications SSD...Something in the 500 gb area ....I will then get a 1 TB SSD and an external case for a USB3 to SATAIII setup for more samples ... THIS will all go together IF I see that I can work easy enough with W10 ....It all remains to be seen !!....Keeping my fingers crossed ....

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 7:02 am    

Speaking of iPads ....

Look at the difference in price iPad vs PC pads ....

Thsn look at the difference in app's ....you'll soon see why !!

Dale Gray

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2017 6:37 am    

Sure like my Linux.