The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EZ Project...?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2016 10:40 pm    

Spotted on eBay. The seller says this body is an EZ project. Yes, it's EZ after you've spent 10 years searching for rare parts and paid $1800 for those parts.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2016 4:51 am    

Thats Hank, the most notorious parter-outer of Stringmasters on eBay. I would guess that in the last few years he's parted-out about a dozen. And yes, often they are guitars that have been butchered (like the quad here) but just as many are perfectly straight guitars.
Not trying to revive the argument for or against the practise...
I think the number of guitars he scatters to the breeze has caused the prices of the parts to go way down, maybe that's a good thing?
Yeah, the EZ project thing (which he puts in most of his auctions) is comical.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2016 5:34 am    

Truly it is an "EZ Project." LOL No need to search for 10 years....Have some patience and all the parts you need will show up in Hank Sables (Hankeroo) auctions over the next few months.Don't care about what he does.. just curious as to where he finds the huge volume of vintage instruments that he shreds?

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2016 4:00 am    

Looks like there is another p-outer on eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/hzht6pn
I wonder how many Champs have been gutted for their pickup.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2016 4:10 am    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
Looks like there is another p-outer on eBay...

Then there's Ian in Salt Lake:

http://tinyurl.com/zvks4dl

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2016 8:27 am    

I do projects like having my pickup rewound and installing new machine heads on my Rickenbacher Model B. That quad is like a complete restore on FOUR steels. 🤓

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2016 9:14 am     Re: EZ Project...?

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Spotted on eBay. The seller says this body is an EZ project. Yes, it's EZ after you've spent 10 years searching for rare parts and paid $1800 for those parts.

Well, it can be done (as you can see from my avatar) but, I'd agree not EZ unless you get lucky with parts. That one looks like you might get away without a complete refin.

At least the absolutely hardest to get part is soon to be available - the tuning pans from Kluson.

I know people have made control plates for them and a few people make the pickups.

I'm helping a friend to restore his triple and we're thinking of making the control plates out of pickguard material and anchoring the strings through the body like a Telecaster. Apart from that, the tie rods are easy to get and the bridges and nuts shouldn't be too hard either.

The great thing about a quad Stringmaster restore is that you can almost do it in stages as parts become available - start with a single or double and gradually make it into a triple and finally a quad a bit (or a lot) later.

I still can't believe how lucky I was to find the parts for mine so easily but I'm sure there are people with bits sitting in their workshops who could do this justice (depending on how much those bodies go for).

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2016 9:43 am    

Yes, Jeff, you got lucky with those parts, as I remember. There was a Forum member selling a whole batch of Stringmaster parts from a T-8, I believe. That's a once in a lifetime find!

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2016 9:51 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Yes, Jeff, you got lucky with those parts, as I remember. There was a Forum member selling a whole batch of Stringmaster parts from a T-8, I believe. That's a once in a lifetime find!

The really lucky bit was that nobody beat me to them - they were up there for a couple of days before someone pointed out the advert to me! Of course, I got the parts before I got the necks! I only really wanted the selecter switch and a strip of tuners and was going to sell the rest on!

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2016 12:51 pm     Re: EZ Project...?

I've always wondered what a Stringmaster with strings through the body would sound like. It might be great.