The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Cool rare circa 1959 Supro Coronado. Gloss black no F holes
Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 9:22 pm    

Very cool axe. Late 50's Supro Coronado archtop in black. $1,250 plus ship/ins.

I bought this guitar off reverb.com in June. Original listing with very detailed pictures linked below.
When I got the guitar it had cheap and unimpressive Epiphone ceramic humbuckers in it, as well as a non-original bridge, tuners (very nice sealed back gold Grovers), replaced pickguard, some finish damage on the lower treble bout, visible in pics in the reverb listing.

Slide master and expert on old National and related guitars John Mooney did extensive work on the guitar for me, including taking a period correct Supro/National pickup out of his signature Swamp Box and installing it in the neck position, paired with a Gibson 498 T in the bridge. These pickups are in the attached photo. Guitar ships with these pickups and the gold ABR bridge n the photos in the reverb.com listing.

The tone pot is push pull to bypass the tone control and go straight for volume pot to jack for a little added output and bite when needed. Mooney also made a bone nut for it, leveled the frets, etc. I used it on tour in Europe for a couple of weeks this summer and for some gigs back at home, but it has seen very little use since Mooney did all the work bringing it up to pro spec.
Very cool sounding guitar, and looks like 50s rockabilly pimp heaven. Plays great thanks to all the work. If I didn't have another Supro that was a touch more my speed, I wouldn't let it go.

You will notice that my price is higher than what I paid for it, but I put a lot of money into it and the only other example of the same black, no f-hole Coronado I can find was super clean one that sold on reverb with an asking price of $2,779. Listing linked below as well.

$1,250 plus actual ship/ins. No case. Cash is king, but I'm often too easily tempted...

Thanks for looking!

original reverb listing for this guitar -
https://reverb.com/item/1235034-supro-coronado-1950-s-black

listing for very clean example of same guitar for $2,779 - https://reverb.com/item/35869-inventory-listing-15

Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2016 2:46 pm    

sold locally. please close