The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows 7 pro wanted on new laptop that has Windows 10
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 9:42 am    

I recently bought a PC Laptop (Asus GL752VW ) that has Windows 10 home 64 bit OS on it ....I have a desktop PC that has Windows 7 64bit Pro on it ...I have the disk for the Win 7 Pro that is on my desktop ...Can I use this disc to load Windows 7 onto my new laptop that has Window's 10 on it ? ...I have used Mac computers for years, and I'm now very happy with Windows 7 Pro and don't want to get involved with Windows 10 ....Microsoft is getting pretty invasive and bold with their OS updates .....I keep my desktop offline except to update some of my music programs and download new ones on my desktop .....Thanks for your help in advance ..Jim

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 11:16 am     Re: Windows 7 pro wanted on new laptop that has Windows 10

James Quackenbush wrote:
I recently bought a PC Laptop (Asus GL752VW ) that has Windows 10 home 64 bit OS on it ....I have a desktop PC that has Windows 7 64bit Pro on it ...I have the disk for the Win 7 Pro that is on my desktop ...Can I use this disc to load Windows 7 onto my new laptop that has Window's 10 on it? ......
Thanks for your help in advance ..Jim

In order to legally activate Windows 7 (64bit) on a different computer, re-using the original product key, you need to know if the license code is tied to the hardware, thus is nontransferable. This is usually the case with manufacturer's brands. Assume that it is so in the case of your Asus laptop, but contact the company's support desk to make sure.

If the license is tied to that particular device, the only way to activate a fresh install on a different device is to purchase a new license code, or an entire new Windows 7 disk (with an unused key). It could be an OEM license (product key) to save money, if you can find one for sale from a legitimate source. It would be safer to contact a reputable computer store near you to see if they can install Windows and activate the license for you.

Microsoft does not usually allow the reuse of OEM licenses, once they have been activated on a computer. In fact, the act of replacing your motherboard, say if capacitors leak or a solder trace cracks, will void the license if you try to reinstall on a new motherboard. In the past, under XP, even changing your hard drive used to trigger a failure in the license activation. When this happens, the owner has to call Microsoft on the phone, explain what they did and beg for a new license key code and activation.

Windows licenses are transferable if you purchase the Full version of an operating system. This is more expensive, but allows you to deactivate a license on one machine, then activate a different one, as many times as desired. It is not tied to any particular hardware like the OEM version is.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 12:18 pm     Re: Windows 7 pro wanted on new laptop that has Windows 10

James Quackenbush wrote:
I recently bought a PC Laptop (Asus GL752VW ) that has Windows 10 home 64 bit OS on it ....I have a desktop PC that has Windows 7 64bit Pro on it ...I have the disk for the Win 7 Pro that is on my desktop ...Can I use this disc to load Windows 7 onto my new laptop that has Window's 10 on it ? ...

IF, I say IF, the Windows 7 installation on the desktop machine is a "Retail" version of Windows 7 64 bit Pro, then YES, you could transfer it to the laptop. You would activate this new installation with the Product Key that came with the Retail disc.

But....you'd have to give up the installation on the desktop to stay within Microsoft licensing terms. The Microsoft rule is effectively "one license, one machine".

If the Windows 7 license on the desktop is OEM rather than Retail, then NO, you could not transfer it. OEM licenses are tied to the original machine (motherboard)---Retail licenses are not. Although in the real world, Microsoft often allows OEM licenses to be re-used in the case of motherboard failures and replacement. It's kind of a crapshoot.

If you bought the desktop from a major retailer and it's a brand name machine like HP, Dell, Acer, etc, the license is almost certainly OEM and NOT transferable.

On the other hand, if you built it yourself, the license may be Retail and transferable--but you'd still have to give up the installation on the desktop due to the "once license, one machine" rule.

If you run the following command at a command prompt:

slmgr -dli

it should tell you if your license is Retail.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 3:21 am    

There is another issue, Many (just about all I've seen posted on Computer forums) new PC's that come with Windows 10 do not have drivers for Windows 7 (or are missing many drivers) and thus cannot run Windows 7.

The Windows license is another issue. Can only be on one machine. But considering the Win 7 is transferrable before you do anything, confirm that ALL the needed Win 7 drivers are available for the new Win 10 PC BEFORE you proceed. You may also want to consider what many do when they install a different OS on a "factory made" PC - replace the hard drive and install the new OS on that drive. Keep the OEM drive in case there are problems or if you want to go back to the original OS.

I have Win 10 on my DAW system desktop. I also use that PC on line and have no problems with the (often imagined) Microsoft "spying" which is really only application usage and no personal data or internet activity is garnered. When I run my DAW program (Sonar) I just disable the NIC to avoid potential problems. Latency Mon shows my system is "clean" for running audio applications.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 5:08 am    

Thanks to all for the info ....Sounds to me like I'm better off getting a LEGAL copy of Windows 7 64 bit Pro and having it installed on a new SSD for my laptop ..Windows 10 Home 64 bit is installed now on a 128 GB SSD that resides in my laptop now ...Do I have to do the install of OS 7 Pro on the new computer and SSD because of mentioned OS being tied to the computer being used ? ...Or how do I get this OS on an M.2 SSD that I can pop into my computer with all the drivers ready to go ? ....Thanks again ...Jim

BTW ...Can I just get a legal copy of Window's 7 Pro and install it on the same SSD that Windows 10 Home 64 bit resides on now in my laptop and then transfer the Windows 10 OS to another HDD on the laptop ? .....

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 5:49 am    

The OEM drive also has partition(s) for recovery. If the boot partition is changed (e.g. partitioned and another OS installed) it usually invalidates the OEM Recovery, thus only way to recover is to have a copy of the Operating System.

But, as I noted first thing to do is verify that ALL the needed Windows 7 drivers are available for the PC. If ALL the drivers are not available it will be crippled and some hardware will not work. New Win 10 PC's are (mostly) designed for the current hardware and are no backward compatible. This wasn't the case with most Win 8/8.1 PC's, they would still run Win 7 and many even Win XP, but with the new hardware backward compatibility is (can be) an issue.

If the new Laptop is not fully Win 7 compatible and you MUST HAVE Win 7, best option is to return the PC if you can and try to find one one that is compatible (there's still a limited few old stock around).

UPDATE: I checked the ASUS site and ONLY Win 10 drivers are listed.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 2:51 pm    

Thanks for the reply Jack...

I'm under the assumption that if I install a NEW copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the laptop , that it comes with all the drivers needed to run on said computer ...From what I understand from you , only the drivers that are in Windows 10 will work on this new laptop ...Is this the case ? ... If this is the case , then Microsoft is basically jamming Windows !0 down my throat , and I can't go back to Windows 7 .... Is this the case ? ..If it is , perhaps I can go to Windows 10 professional 64 bit ....Make Mr Gates a few more dollars ...I don't even have the disc that Windows 10 on my computer came with ....???.....Thanks again for your help ....Jim

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 4:38 pm    

James Quackenbush wrote:
Thanks for the reply Jack...

I'm under the assumption that if I install a NEW copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the laptop , that it comes with all the drivers needed to run on said computer ...From what I understand from you , only the drivers that are in Windows 10 will work on this new laptop ...Is this the case ? ... If this is the case , then Microsoft is basically jamming Windows !0 down my throat , and I can't go back to Windows 7 .... Is this the case ? ..If it is , perhaps I can go to Windows 10 professional 64 bit ....Make Mr Gates a few more dollars ...I don't even have the disc that Windows 10 on my computer came with ....???.....Thanks again for your help ....Jim

I'm afraid you have it backwards James. Microsoft only supplies generic device drivers for the more commonly deployed chipsets on official Windows setup disks (e.g. Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10). The devices on your motherboard are made to the manufacturer's specifications. That manufacturer supplies the correct driver files either on a separate Drivers disk, or in a hidden partition on the OEM hard drive. If ASUS builkt the computer,it is they who decided to have hardware made for that laptop that is not backwards compatible with Windows 7. Also, they may have chosen to install a particular new Intel CPU that isn't even supported by Windows 8.1; just 10 and forward.

So, if are going to be mad, direct your anger at the computer and laptop builders. They decided to construct and sell computers that must run on Windows 10 or newer and will only create drivers that operate on these new operating systems.

Recap:
An official Windows 10 disk does not have the correct device drivers for most of the name brand computers and laptops. Those drivers are supplied by the company that built the actual computer. The files may be on a Drivers disk, or in a hidden rescue/restore/reset to factory settings partition that can be accesses at boot time by pressing a certain key, or via a download from their website.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 21 Nov 2016 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 4:53 pm    

To expand on my last reply about Windows operating system disks not supplying specific drivers for specific hardware, think about this example.

You buy a particular brand of computer from a retail store. It works okay for browsing and listening to music, or watching YouTube videos, but the graphics lag and have jitter and artifacts when you play your favorite action games, or when you try to create or edit a large graphic file in Photoshop.

Somebody mentions that there is an ad on your local Craigslist for a barely used high end graphics card that will fit into a PCI Express slot on your motherboard. The price is nice so you agree to the deal. When you pick up the card, or receive it in the mail, there is no driver disk. You open the chassis and install the card, check the connections, close her up and boot the computer. Then Windows informs you that it has detected an unknown device, but cannot locate drivers for it. So, because the new device is a video card, Windows assigns the best guess generic drivers to that card, so you can at least do somethings onscreen with the mouse and keyboard.

One of those things should be to locate the video card manufacturer's website, find the drivers and support pages, drill down to the model and version of your video card, download the latest/last official driver, install the driver using Admin credentials, reboot and then adjust the settings. It is not Microsoft's fault that their generic video drivers won't function on the aftermarket gamer's card.

The same problem can occur if you have a computer or laptop with only USB 2 jacks and need USB 3 for an external backup drive. There are add-on plug-in cards available that will physically fit into the slots on the laptop case. But, without the device specific drivers, the ports won't work, or will only work at USB 2 levels.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 9:30 pm    

So Microsoft built the OS and other companies like Asus decide whether or not they are going to build a computer around this OS ...Asus has the drivers installed for what makes THEIR computer work under the Windows 10 guidelines ....and Asus is in control of what goes into the computer and what makes it run ...It appears also that I'm the one that made the mistake of assuming that I would have no problem installing a different OS on this computer ....At this point , I will do more reading up on Windows 10 and find out if my computer will work with an upgraded Windows 10 like Windows 10 PRO 64 bit, since I will not be able to revert back to Windows 7 ....

My desktop PC was built by a friend of mine as I was watching and helping it all go together ....I have had no problems with it and run some pretty intense orchestral music programs on it ... It has been every bit as good as running my Mac computers and faster ...I'm so happy with Windows 7 Pro that is installed on it , I thought I could have the same thing on this new laptop ...I see that this is NOT the case ...I'll have to look more into this ...Thanks so much for your help ....I will look a little closer before I leap next time ....Live and learn ....Thanks again ...Jim

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 9:48 pm    

With each new release of Windows and the hardware that it runs on, backward compatibility has become more spotty. Sometimes the limiting factor is drivers for audio, video, controllers and output ports. Now Intel and AMD, the leading makers of Central Processing Units, have released a brand new series of CPUs that only run under Windows 10 (and newer, possibly with chipset driver updates). Anybody buying or building a high end computer that runs on these CPUs cannot boot into Windows under anything under Windows 10.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2016 3:06 am    

Wiz ,
Thanks for the info ....I was unaware of this info ...As I said , I've been a Mac user for years ... Live and learn ...I'm sure that I'll still be able to work something out with this computer ...It's very fast , and as time passes , there should be more programs and more updates to make life easier ( I hope )....Thanks again to you , and everyone else who has assisted me in this quest ....Much appreciated ....Sincerely, Jim

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2016 4:10 pm    

James Quackenbush wrote:
Wiz ,
Thanks for the info ....I was unaware of this info ...As I said , I've been a Mac user for years ... Live and learn ...I'm sure that I'll still be able to work something out with this computer ...It's very fast , and as time passes , there should be more programs and more updates to make life easier ( I hope )....Thanks again to you , and everyone else who has assisted me in this quest ....Much appreciated ....Sincerely, Jim

I might have some solutions that will help you reconfigure Windows 10 to look and act more like Windows 7. But, your W10 will only act like W7 Pro if it too is the Pro version. Otherwise, it will only have the features of the home edition. Of course, there are workarounds for that too.

You can search Google for some methods in circulation that allow you to customize your Windows 10 Start Menu, Explorer and folders to look and act like they do under Windows 7. One that I like is How to make Windows 10 look and feel like Windows 7.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 3:03 am    

"Start10" will make it look like Win 7.
https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

For what its worth, I'm assembling a new desktop for my recording studio. The motherboard (Intel Z170 chipset) came with a special file that will allow it to be compatible with Win 7. The special file is needed to allow booting and running Win 7. Some Z170 motherboards I looked at do not come with the file to allow it to be Win 7 compatible. My current system is triple boot, Win 10 Pro/Win 7/Win 10 Insider Preview.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 9:11 am    

Thanks guys ...If I go into a faster desktop , I will remember this advise ....Who knows , perhaps Windows 10 Pro will work out to be as good as 7 Pro ..??....One can only hope !!.... It's to bad that I have to go to Windows 10 Pro for the simple fact that I don't want Microsoft dictating my upgrades ...I would at least like to have the choice of "If" and "When " I do these updates ....There are just too many variables when using a PC for professional orchestral recordings .... One bad update can set you back for a good long while ...Thanks again guys ....Sincerely, Jim

BTW....I saw so many computers running Windows 10 advertised , and so much talk about it , that I thought as if had been out for a while ...I really had no idea that it was such a new OS, and was not really supported all that well yet by a LOT of programs ...Somehow I got the idea that Windows products updated faster than Mac's programs .....??....My bad ....Gotta start lookin before I leap !!...LOL !!....Jim

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 10:09 am    

Win 10 was released (to the public) June 29th or 30th of 2015. There was an "Anniversary Update" issued June of this year.

I have no problems with the older Win 7 programs, and even some older programs, running on Win 10. All my recording studio hardware and software runs on Win 10. I use Sonar (Platinum version). I have an old Frontier Tranzport (wireless controller) which only has Vista Drivers (the company no longer makes the device). I had to install the Tranzport in a Vista Compatibility Mode, but it works perfect in Win 10. Actually, Win 10 supports older software better than Win 7 or Win 8/8.1. Microsoft realized that many Windows XP users would be upgrading to Win 10 since support for Win XP has expired (or mostly expired). Much of the old XP hardware will not work in Win 10 but most of the software will. I was using Microsoft Office 2003 (written for XP) and it worked OK in Win 10 but like Windows XP, support has ceased for Office 2003.

Apple has abandoned my iPad with the latest OS 10. It still works but I don't have any of the new apps or functions, like my iPhone6 plus has.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 10:48 am    

Jack,
I don't mind going to Windows 10 if I can

1) Control my updates ....( Windows 10 Pro can do this _

2) Have support for my recording programs that have all been bought and running OS 7 Pro

I was bitten by Tascam who dropped the ball on GigaStudio years back ....I have a HUGE collection of giga samples and some translate OK with Kontakt , but some don't ....What a loss !!....

Hardware continues to change ....You hardly see Firewire anymore , and USB 2 and 3 seem to be boss these days ... I have to look more into the bi-directional abilities of USB before committing to anything USB .....Thanks again for the info ...Jim

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 1:59 pm    

My Recording Interface unit is a MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid. It is USB or Firewire. I have a PCIe Firewire card (with a T.I. Chipset). I get the same low latency with both.

The MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid Latency with 64 Sample buffer as reported by Sonar.
Input 2.7 msec
Output 3.3 msec
Total Roundtrip 6.1 msec

I have a Behringer X-Touch control surface (USB) and a Tascam 16-08 recording interface unit, which is my backup unit (it basically sits collecting dust but is there in case the primary would fail during a (paid) recording session).

According to a DAW PC specialist that posts on the Sonar forum (He works for a company that custom builds DAW and Video PC systems) we haven't reached USB 2.0 saturation point with recording units. He says USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt are "way overkill".

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 2:26 pm    

Hi Jack,
I use a lot of N.I. Kontakt samples in my work for orchestral and other recordings ....I'm seeing a lot of folks using USB 3 and also using SSD drives rather than the typical HHD's ...The speeds of the SSD's are really flying .... Accessing HUGE samples are much easier and much faster ... The reason I got the Asus Laptop that I bought was because it already came with the OS on a 128gb SSD M.2 ..It also has a standard 1 Gig HD which I was going to change out for another SSD ...It also has an external USB C drive which is suppose to be as fast as Thunderbolt ... All these things will work if and when I decide that Windows 10 Pro will work for me in the future ... This laptop is also a Quad Core setup and has 16 gb of memory which was also planning on adding another 16gb to epand to the total allowed for this system of 32 GB ....I'll have to wait and see what the future brings ...

Year's ago I had a 3 motu units all wired up with external tone modules ...Today is much easier with all the samples that are on the market and hard drives being so cheap ... It's a new day !!....Jim