INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuner Out For Your Volume Pedal
Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post Posted 25 Jan 2016 3:11 am     Reply with quote

Tommi, that will work just fine, although a DPDT switch is unnecessary - the "sleeve" connections to all three sockets can be permanently connected together - in fact, it is (nominally) safer. You only need to switch the live signal so a SPDT switch would be fine.

But this schematic will not harm your tone at all. The only downside to this is that you have to actually do something to use the tuner - you have to operate the switch. The upside is that you can tune in complete silence.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay
Tommi Toijonen

Kouvola, Finland
Post Posted 25 Jan 2016 4:17 am     Reply with quote

Thanks, Will!

Like this, I think I'm going to build me a pedal!

Mr. Green [/img]

(That excess blue wire at the south east corner is something I probably leave inside the box by accident.)
Will Cowell

Cambridgeshire, UK
Post Posted 25 Jan 2016 6:22 am     Reply with quote

Yes, Tommi - nothing to stop you putting it on your steel, then there's no extra box to connect. A little switch on the side - or better still, underneath, mounted on a small piece of aluminium angle fixed to the endplate, then there is no risk of it getting broken in the case.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay
Tommi Toijonen

Kouvola, Finland
Post Posted 25 Jan 2016 7:02 am     Reply with quote

Will Cowell wrote:
Yes, Tommi - nothing to stop you putting it on your steel, then there's no extra box to connect. A little switch on the side - or better still, underneath, mounted on a small piece of aluminium angle fixed to the endplate, then there is no risk of it getting broken in the case.

Indeed, a good idea! But I opted for a pedal - the first stomp box I've ever made Very Happy

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post Posted 31 Mar 2016 5:58 am     A Little Help Reply with quote

Need a little help..
Can you look at my picture and tell me what to do. I was thinking to just solder between the input hot and the 3rd output jack hot but the hot of the two outputs are tied and there's nothing to the sleeve Do I need to detach the hot between the two outputs? Thanks
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post Posted 31 Mar 2016 6:08 am     Reply with quote

Right. Snip the wire between the two tips, and maybe rotate jack 3 a bit to give you some room, then run the wire from tip of J1 to J3.
There's nothing to the sleeves of J2 and J3 because sleeves are grounded, and they trust chassis ground to do that.
Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post Posted 3 Jul 2016 2:51 am     Why not just have another jack on the guitar for the tuner? Reply with quote

I have two jacks (in parallel) on my guitars and run a tuner full time (Peterson StroboPlus) from one jack and the other going to the pedal ,etc. It doesn't matter if my tuner is turned on or off, plugged in or not, I hear no variation in tone. Problem solved for me!
Roland Cube 80-XL
2 Stratocasters - Yamaha Bass Guitar
Korg PA-500 Arranger (will sell)
Ham Call: N4BHB
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, VA, Norway & Weeki Wachee, FL, USA
Post Posted 3 Jul 2016 5:33 am     Re: Why not just have another jack on the guitar for the tun Reply with quote

Pete Nicholls wrote:
I have two jacks (in parallel) on my guitars and run a tuner full time (Peterson StroboPlus) from one jack and the other going to the pedal ,etc. It doesn't matter if my tuner is turned on or off, plugged in or not, I hear no variation in tone. Problem solved for me!

As expected with the StroboPlus, as that tuner has real high impedance input that won't load the PU all that much, and no clipping-circuit at its input that may distort peaks.

Not all tuners are that well prepared for direct coupling into a PSG sound-chain, so some may need a resistor in the tuner cable when connected like that.
Keane Eng

Alberta, Canada
Post Posted 15 Nov 2016 11:49 am     Re: 1 meg resistor-which watt value? Reply with quote

Butch Pytko wrote:
I went to a large electronics store today. They had the 1 meg resistors, but they were separated into groups of 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, & I think 1, 2, & 3 watts! I guessed & got the 1/2 watt. Does it matter which watt value to use for this tuner-out application?

No, it doesn't matter*

*...because 1.736V** through 1 MΩ is only 0.003 mW, and a power rating of 1/8 W (...or 1/4 W, 1/2 W, etc.) can satisfy 0.003 mW. Even 5V through 1 MΩ is only 0.025 mW, while 1/8W is 125 mW.

**And 1.736V is absolute worst-case, typical for +4 dBu pro-level line level signals. Your guitar signal is instrument pickup level, and probably only 1V (peak), or even less.

1/2 W is fine. Lots of vintage musical electronic equipment employed 1/2 W components. 1/4 W is more common for 70's, 80's, 90's instrument/line level signal, musical electronics. I buy 1/4 W resistors because BOSS, Ibanez, etc. seem to use them everywhere, and they are more than adequate to handle most guitar or effect pedal electronics situations, and I don't have to stock so many different ratings of each resistor value. Plus, the big one is, 1/4 W resistors should be cheaper than 1/2 W resistors.

Resistors for tube circuits, or amplifier or speaker systems are a different story...
Lawrie Minson

New South Wales, Australia
Post Posted 18 Nov 2016 10:47 pm     2.2 meg will also work Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm a new guy but have been playing for a long time and I have a reasonable knowledge of electronics.
I modded a dual input amp (4 jack sockets) and wired it parallel to a single set of Hi/Lo input jacks. It the same as connecting a short patch lead between the two inputs. The mod permanently connects the two channels internally. This left me with two spare jack sockets. I fitted a booster switch to one of the sockets and the other I wired as a tuner out. Most tuners I've come across have an input impedance of 1 meg which is why they will load the signal and affect your tone. I used a 2.2 meg ohm resistor which worked quite well and would work in Randy's set up. The reason I suggest this is because when you combine the 1 meg load of the tuner with a 1 meg resistor in your volume pedal mod you get a combined load of 500k on your signal. If you use a 2.2 meg the combined load goes up higher (about 680k). You only need enough signal to drive the tuner so minimal is best.
Cheers, Lawrie