The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The UK's Ron Mawn has passed. RIP
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2016 12:17 pm    

It is with great sadness that I have to announce the passing of Ron Mawn. Ron was a friend of mine for 40 years and more, and there is no-one in the UK who knows more than Ron did about Sho~Bud guitars. He worked in the Sho~Bud shop in the West End of London for many years as their steel guitar tech. He died just after 2.00 this afternoon in the Countess Mountbatten hospice in West End, Southampton, and had been in great discomfort for the last month or so. May he finally rest in peace. I have asked his family to advise me of his funeral arrangements.

Ron is in the centre of this photo with Lloyd Green on the left and Sho~Bud store co-owner Les Elcome on the right.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 12 Nov 2016 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 2:59 am    

So sorry to read this, Ken. Ron was always very supportive of the Steel Guitar Festival and also of the many Sho-Bud customers I used to send his way for help and advice. R.I.P Ron.

Gerry

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 5:33 am    

This is very sad. I liked Ron very much and he was always ready to help when I had a technical problem with a steel guitar. I spent quite a few evenings at his home as he'd replace pot-metal parts on my Sho-Bud or tackle various issues on my ZBs over the years.

I'm sorry to learn that he's had a difficult time of late and I thank you, Ken, for staying in touch with him during his declining health.

RIP, Ron, and thanks for everything.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2016 4:57 pm    

Every time I visited London in the 1970s, I made it a point to stop in at the Sho-Bud shop and Ron was always helpful and exercised his dry sense of humor. I ended up buying a metal National style O there that I had for decades. Very wonderful memories of those visits.

I too, am sorry to hear the last month or so was rough on him. Condolences to the family. Stevet

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2016 2:31 am    

Thanks to Gerry, Roger and Steve. In his last week, Ron did a lot of reminiscing about the steel guitar world and the people that he had met over the years. He mentioned all 3 of you in a fond way.

He also recounted time spent with Jimmie and Elsie Crawford at their home, along with DeWitt Scott. Scotty used to put Ron up in his basement area where Buddy E and Hall Rugg (among many players) had stayed. Ron was a mine of information, and knew a lot about the workings of the Sho~Bud factory in Nashville along with Shot Jackson and his family.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,