The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Android Issue
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2016 1:30 pm    

I have a Samsung tablet that runs on Android. This is my first Android device. Lately, I've been having an odd issue with filling in the two little USER NAME and PASSWORD boxes when logging in to the Forum. I have the same problem when trying to log in to my Time Warner email and AOL email.

When I tap on the USER NAME box, the keyboard scrolls up from the bottom of the screen, as usual; however, as I type in the USER NAME, nothing appears in the box. Even if a suggested word is presented and I tap on it, it doesn't show up in the box. I end up having to close out everything and come back to the web site a couple of times before things work properly.

This is something that just started recently.

Any ideas?

Lee, from South Texas

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2016 5:44 pm     Re: Android Issue

Lee Baucum wrote:
I have a Samsung tablet that runs on Android. This is my first Android device...the keyboard scrolls up from the bottom of the screen, however, as I type in the USER NAME, nothing appears in the box...This is something that just started recently.

Yeah, that's not normal. Something's wonky. I've been an Android user for years, both phones and tablets. Along with a few Andoid tablets, I've owned a Motorola Droid, a Samsung Omnia, Note 3, and now a Note 5, and never seen anything like that. I don't have a solution, but it's not typical - something's not right.

I'd look around in settings - anything that could influence "keyboard" or "input" - stuff like that. A last resort would be a device reset, but you'd likely lose your data doing that.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 3:26 pm    

Still haven't figured this out. Oh Well

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2016 11:44 pm    

Lee;
You didn't say what web browser you use on the Android. Not all browsers are equal. I would try a different browser to see if that fixes the input field problem. If you are currently using Google Chrome, you can download Firefox for Android, from the Play Store, and give it a try. I have both on my phone, in addition to the web browser that shipped with the Samsung S5.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 11:42 am    

Dunno, Wiz. It's certainly true not all browsers are equal, and I've tried those you mention in my Android devices, just to see what they're like. But over many Android versions, and many devices, I've always come back to the native Android browser in the end. I've never had a hint of trouble with it, input-wise, or otherwise.

I still think this is a system issue - something related to input settings, or a corrupted update or similar.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 12:37 pm    

Dave Potter wrote:
Dunno, Wiz. It's certainly true not all browsers are equal, and I've tried those you mention in my Android devices, just to see what they're like. But over many Android versions, and many devices, I've always come back to the native Android browser in the end. I've never had a hint of trouble with it, input-wise, or otherwise.

I still think this is a system issue - something related to input settings, or a corrupted update or similar.

When you use the device manufacturer's default web browser you are at their mercy for updates. Some manufactures release updates more frequently than others. Also, older tablets and phones are often orphaned after a couple of generations of new models.

OTOH, if you browse with the Chrome browser, you get updates as soon as Google pushes them out. Ditto for Firefox.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 2:17 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
When you use the device manufacturer's default web browser you are at their mercy for updates. Some manufactures release updates more frequently than others. Also, older tablets and phones are often orphaned after a couple of generations of new models.

OTOH, if you browse with the Chrome browser, you get updates as soon as Google pushes them out. Ditto for Firefox.

Understand. I tend to upgrade frequently, so the "orphaning" issue doesn't really apply.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 2:29 pm    

I use the native browser on my Samsung phone all the time with no problem. Chrome doesn't seem to do anything any better, at least not in my world. None of which helps Lee, of course.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 5:03 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
I use the native browser on my Samsung phone all the time with no problem. Chrome doesn't seem to do anything any better, at least not in my world. None of which helps Lee, of course.

Agree. I've been Android forever, and I've used alternative browsers, out of curiosity. But I've always returned to the native Android browser, simply because the mobile versions of the others didn't impress me enough to switch. Over all the years and Android versions, I've never had any data entry issues. I still don't think the browser is the problem.

EDIT: It would be easy to determine if this is browser or system related. Just open an offline, non-internet-related app that involves entering text and try it. If the keyboard doesn't work, the problem is probably somewhere in settings for input device, touch sensitivity or calibration, etc. If the keyboard works in other apps but not in the browser, the problem may browser-related.

Another thing to try: The OP reports being unable to enter text into USER NAME and PASSWORD fields in the browser. What about the location bar? Does the keyboard work there? Answers to these questions could provide some insight into where to look to fix the problem.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 7:02 pm    

It took several attempts at logging in to get logged in and even after logging in I had to leave the Forum and return 5 times before I could actually post this reply. I was not able to enter letters, numbers, or symbols. The flashing cursor was in the reply box, but I couldn't enter anything.

I'm using Chrome, which came with the tablet.

No problems entering text using Microsoft Word.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 8:02 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
I'm using Chrome, which came with the tablet....No problems entering text using Microsoft Word.

Have you tried doing it with the Android native browser? The fact that text entry works in Word likely means your input settings are OK and it might be browser-related, as Wiz surmised.

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 8:24 am    

Quote:
Have you tried doing it with the Android native browser?

I don't know what that means! Embarassed

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 9:07 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
I don't know what that means! Embarassed

Most Android devices have an Android-native internet browser called simply "Internet".

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 7:50 pm    

I gave up on Chrome and downloaded Firefox. All is well, now. Surprised

Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 7:14 am    

Firefox is still working perfectly. Must have been a Chrome issue.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 9:04 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Firefox is still working perfectly. Must have been a Chrome issue.

You could go into your Settings > Application Manager and Force Stop Chrome. Then clear the cache and try using it again. Or uninstall it completely, reboot, then download a fresh copy of Chrome.

I use both Chrome and Firefox on my Galaxy S5. I sync my Firefox browsers across two computers and the phone.