The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dixon Archtop Guitar
Philippe Bronchtein

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 3:11 pm    

Hi Guys,

I have this really cool Arch top guitar, branded DIXON. I've gotten a ton of work put into it and it plays and sounds wonderful, but I don't know much about it. The little online research I've done has provided mixed results...runs the gamut of "rarest lawsuit guitars ever!" to "beater guitar barely worth a $100."

Curious if anyone has come across one of these and knows anything about it.

Thanks!

p.s. this seemed like the most appropriate thread to post this...please advise if i should throw it up somewhere else on the forum.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 9:50 am    

http://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/electric_guitar_values/Guitar_Manufacturer.aspx?id=DIXON

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 1:54 pm    

I don't think that Blue Book reference is timely, because (shiny replacement Schaller tuners notwithstanding) that archtop looks to be 1930s-1950s. It resembles a lot of things I see in large catalogs of that era, likely made by a large factory for a distributor or regional chain of music stores. I may have more to add at a later time...just not ready to dig through boxes right now.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 1:32 pm    

I think the D & H logo at the top stands for Davitt and Hanser. They have been a musical instrument and accessory dealer since 1924. This guitar looks older than the 60s.

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 7:47 pm    

Larry Jamieson wrote:
I think the D & H logo at the top stands for Davitt and Hanser. They have been a musical instrument and accessory dealer since 1924. This guitar looks older than the 60s.

Very possible. up until around 2000, D&H's low line acoustic guitar line was labeled Dixon. I sold a lot of those Dixon guitars in my day. I would venture to say that that one was possibly from the 50's and could have been built by Harmony. Harmony built a lot of guitars for wholesale companies like D&H. I was rather sad to see the Hanser family sell the company to Jam Industries, of Canada, to concentrate on their other holdings,such as B.C. Rich and Kustom Amplifiers. From being in musical instrument retailing in Cincinnati (their home) I got to know the Hanser brothers. They are great people.