INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  here is how you record drums....
David Mitchell

Texas, USA
Post Posted 31 Oct 2016 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

I bought a pair of 603's too and recorded one of the best sounds ever on acoustic guitar. Why does everything have to sound like a Neumann? Up until about 1995 I would say high dollar mics were much better but today that gap has closed considerably and in many cases not worth the extra money unless you are there to satisfy the biggest artist.
Emmons PP 8/10, Sho-Bud Pro ll 8/4, ZB Custom 8/4, MSA Classic 10/10, Fender 2000 10/2, Fender SF Quad Reverb, Fender BF Super Reverb, Fender Super Twin, Fender BF Vibroclone, Peavy Nashville 400, Peavy Nashville 1000, Peavy Session 400, Peavy Artist VT, Sho-Bud Christmas Tree
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post Posted 1 Nov 2016 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

Back to drum sounds:
I am a big fan of using a mid side recording set up to get the basic sound of the kit in a big enough room. I put it at about 5 feet high and about 8 feet from the kit(in front of it). The mics were an AKG 414 and Royer 121. I have my mixing guy start with that sound and enhance it a little with the other mics in there more standard positions. We could have gotten away with just the 2 mics doing mid side though.

On the last recording I did like that the drummer said it was the best he ever sounded.

BTW: Those Neumann K184's are amazing mics.