Author Topic:  Sho Bud changer fingers
Peter Johannisse

Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 1:31 pm    

Hi Storm, the superfingers were made by John Coop

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 3:39 pm    

I forgot that Coop made the first ones ,James is making some now ,I don't know if they are a copy of Coop's but the pics James sent me a year or so ago, before he got really sick, were awesome looking parts as usual from James ...or Coop for that matter.I only hope I can approximate the skill and precision of either of the two produced by a couple of master crafters in my book...Stormy

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 8:23 am    

Unfortunately, James joined Coop.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 8:51 am    

Sad F**k ,I had not known that til now. Very depressing James was a good man I'll miss him alot...Stormy Crying or Very sad

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 9:00 am    

I know. I think I learned about James the same day I learned about Craig "Lil Izzy" Baker.

Rob Clot

Petaluma, California USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 9:15 pm    

I've finished my prototype. Im sure there will be some who think that this will weaken the finger, but I disagree. Thats a 0-80 X 1/8 SS screw. the finger had a .042'' hole drilled in it and tapped. (No bits or taps broken, just took my time) I also epoxied the .025" chrome molly piece on, but I wanted the added insurance of a mechanical fixture.

Bob Muller

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 11:01 pm    

Looks like a great fix, Hope it plays the same, this could be the solution.

Loren Morehouse

Meadowlands, MN USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 10:45 am    

Rob I have done that for years. All I do is epoxy it to the finger and it has worked flawlessly! One thing I do is to file the chrome off so you hit the zinc, clean it good then use new epoxy or epoxy you know is not that old. It will work great! Loren.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 11:09 am    

Nice. If your fix did weaken the finger it would only affect the raise helper spring so not a big deal. Having just the one screw on that end is probably a good call for that reason.

The extra thickness might affect the geometry slightly, but if this came into play it would only be on the smaller strings with whole tone lowers (usually only string 2). People sometimes cut the raise helper nub off on string 2 this reason anyway, to allow enough travel for the full lower to C#

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 11:10 am    

Excellent job Rob. I'm thinking you could work out a similar fix for the top of the fulcrums, for the strings to rest on....Stormy Very Happy

Rob Clot

Petaluma, California USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 9:24 pm    

I filed the chrome off to make sure I had a clean surface. Also wanted to make sure they were flat as the original fingers were not all the same due to being 'pot metal'. The thickness at that point also varied from finger to finger, so I don't believe the added .025" will matter, (fingers crossed). My guitar does not have the raise helper spring, thats why i didn't see a problem with this idea. Do all these guitars have those, or is it just an added feature?
As far as the fulcrum point where the strings rest on, that might be a bit more tricky, cause you would have to get the radius bend just right. Not saying it couldn't be done. Just a lot to ask for with my limited resources.
I'm working on putting the guitar back together now and hope to have it finished tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Cheers

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 1:04 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
Nice. If your fix did weaken the finger it would only affect the raise helper spring so not a big deal. Having just the one screw on that end is probably a good call for that reason.

.................People sometimes cut the raise helper nub off on string 2 this reason anyway, to allow enough travel for the full lower to C#

I cut that nub off after having the 2nd string start to raise when it got to a certain point just before it reached the C# note. Cured the problem immediately. I found that string raise quite frustrating before.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,