The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with Super Pro
Greg Johnson

Greencastle, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 10:41 am    

My vertical is raising the 'B' instead of lowering. The rod is in the bottom section of the changer, but is moving the top as well. What would cause that. And of course only this string is not working... lol
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 11:56 am    

Check the tension on the lower springs, they should be tight enuff to hold the lower(bottom) of the finger against the stop when the string is lowered or raised. Stormy

Greg Johnson

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 12:08 pm    

tension seems fine, it just the top and bottom of the split move together instead of separately
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 12:53 pm    

Try putting the lower rod into a different hole, I think the one closest guitar bottom, can't remember. Had one do the same thing, MSA will also do that sometimes. Also check to see that the rivot in that particular changer is working and not stiff. You can do that by taking that string and also return spring off and see if it moves ok.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 6:46 pm    

Is there a raise helper spring on that string? That can sometimes cause that sort of problem, if so try removing it.

It sounds though like the pivot joint in the scissor is stuck. The end of broken string could get wedged in there and cause something like that.

If you can't see anything obvious and the two scissor halves are definitely stuck, it's pretty simple to pull just the one problem finger to have closer look.

To remove the finger, remove its nylon tuners and pull rods, making note of which holes they're in at both ends, and remove the lower return spring on the bottom. Loosen ALL the strings on that neck and push something similar in size to the 5/16" changer axle (a wooden chopstick will do - it doesn't need to be a super tight fit) through until you reach the problem finger, then back it out enough to let just that one finger drop out the bottom. Just make sure whatever you use to push is smooth and clean.

Reverse to re-assemble once you've identified the issue. If you accidentally let one of the other fingers slip free of the axle (or chopstick) you'll just need to remove its return spring to slip it back up into place.

You can also potentially just swap the finger for another that doesn't have any pulls (if you have any like that)

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 10:21 pm    

Some good advice here, but I fear that the symptom you describe is typically what happens when the rivet holding the changer finger together wears out, at first they begin to lower but then raise again. You may be able to swap that finger out for another one that does not use a a lower, and thus is is not worn.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 1:36 am    

Back off the 5th string raise ( A Ped) as well as the 5th string lower. start over. Start with the 5th string lower, see if it functions.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 8:18 am    

Dave Grafe wrote:
Some good advice here, but I fear that the symptom you describe is typically what happens when the rivet holding the changer finger together wears out, at first they begin to lower but then raise again. You may be able to swap that finger out for another one that does not use a a lower, and thus is is not worn.

That's nothing to fear. Place finger on hard surface (metal, stone or concrete, not wood), dome side of the river down. Tap the "bloom" side of the rivet (I used to know the proper term) GENTLY with a hammer. The bloom should be holding the back side together without wobble or friction.

Greg Johnson

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 8:21 am    

Thanks for all the help, I have tried the obvious and that don't work. I can hold the top and push the bottom and it still raises, so since I know my limitations I will take it somewhere since I will try hard and end up taking it to someone anyway. l I can live without the vertical for now. Thanks again.
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 11:14 am    

What Dave Grafe said is correct. I had one do the same thing. The hole had worn and when I tried lower it would raise first then lower. I had to swap that finger out with a finger that didn't do anything.