The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Petition to save Starday Studio
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 5:29 am    

I'm not completely sure who or what group is advocating for the Starday building to be saved but I'm 100 percent for their cause. I love Starday-King and Gusto recordings. A lot of very famous people spent time here, among my favorites are George Morgan, Merle Kilgore and Red Sovine. I will say that I don't believe the building is set for demolition but people are just wanting it saved before it becomes too far gone to save. I hope you will sign the petition and pass along the link so others can too

https://www.change.org/p/moe-lytle-save-the-starday-king-studios?recruiter=2695481&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-reason_msg

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 10:30 am    

only 50 more signatures needed. Please share this so others will know about this historic studio. If you love the old starday records then you know all the great things that were recorded here , Phantom 309 by Red Sovine and Seasons of my Heart by Merle Kilgore and classics such as All those great Willis Brothers records. Its really easy to sign.

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2016 3:52 pm    

Daniel;
I wish to take this time to wish you a merry Christmas and to inquire on your happenings at "ole miss".
how are you and things and life in general?
are you still playing that "bethel"?
it is good to see that you still are enamored in real country music.
"hotty toddy" to you and to all a good nite....

country jack....

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2016 10:32 pm    

Still need 37 signatures. Its quick and easy to sign. Please help to save this wonderful, historic place!!!

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 3:22 pm    

Only 36 needed now. It can easily be done by following the simple link at the top of this post.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:26 pm    

only 31 needed. Thanks to anyone who has signed this. The link can be copied and shared to facebook or any site really. 31 people is not many so with your help this can be accomplished. I didn't start this petition but feel strongly against musical landmarks or any landmarks for that matter being torn down.I am a huge fan of Starday/King/Gusto records and I know many of you probably enjoy them too so please take just a moment to save the building where all that magic happened. Thanks again

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2017 11:10 pm    

Down to only 28 signatures needed. So close to the goal so please take a second to sign

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2017 10:35 am    

25 signatures needed and the goal is reached. Please take a moment to help save Starday.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 8:26 am    

less than 25 needed to finish this petition. This link can be copied and shared to facebook or any websites really. It only takes a second.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2017 9:06 pm    

Exactly 20 signatures needed.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 9:30 am    

Just what happens when the number is reached? Why does it have to be that many? Who is the petition to, and what action have they committed to taking if that number of people express support?

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 11:21 am    

Don, very good questions. First though I did not create it so Ill answer as best I can. When the number is reached it will be sent to Gusto records, actually to the owner Moe Lytle. The Starday building has fallen into a fairly bad state of disrepair and a lot of people are concerned that if it goes much longer it may be looked at for demolition. I'm a huge fan of everything Starday so this just interested me and I really hope to see it saved. Im not sure why 1000 was the number picked. In response to your last question, I wish I did know because after everyone has signed this then they, including myself want to see action. The best I can answer is just that when Gusto records sees how many people want to save starday then maybe they will take action. A few years ago they had sort of mentioned restoring it and nothing ever came of that. Thanks for asking those questions and if I get any more information that will better answer them I will post it on this thread

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2017 11:55 am    

Thanks Daniel!

The building represents costs to the owner - taxes, insurance, maintenance and security, and so on. While sentiment is laudable, somehow someone among those 1,000 people need to come up with a business plan which either will convince the current owner to take action, or will prompt someone to buy the place from him. Either way, the property needs to be able to justify its existence - as a studio, as a museum, or some other use.

I completely understand the sentimental aspect of the memories and the wish it can be saved. I have a love of railroads, and it's sad to see some station or line of track fall into neglect and decay. But a business must make money to survive. The alternative is it gets torn up (rail line) or torn down (building). Wishes alone never are enough.

So - who has a suggestion on what can be done to make the place worth saving? I hope it can be done.