The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  mixer or amp?
Michael DeMartini

Santa Cruz, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 9:57 am    

Am interested in opinions about when performing, whether to use our bands mixer, or bring am amp.

The reason that I'm asking is that I'm not crazy about the sound quality coming from when I plug into the mixer (setting highs and mids around middle, bass turned higher), but cringe at the thought of hauling my heavy 65 Fender Twin to each gig.

Any thoughts?

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 11:38 am    

You won't get a great sound plugging directly into the mixer.

If you want to do that. Best to use an amp simulator of some sort. Maybe one of the line 6 Pods or one of the many multi FX units that have built-in amp simulation. Plug onto that and then plug that into the mixer.

The next thing to consider is monitoring. If you only have 1 or 2 different monitor mixes available you may find you want to hear more of yourself than whoever you are sharing the monitor mix with.

Don't forget there are many options in between no amp and a Twin!

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 12:06 pm    

I've had no trouble going straight into a mixer on any of my lap steels, if the sound man will listen to me. I have him/her set bass, treble, and midrange, in the middle, the reverb at 3 of 10, and the gain at about 7 or 8 of 10. The gain is set so the sound is loud. I then set my volume and tone knobs to get the sound I want. It seems to be working.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Steffen Gunter

Munich, Germany
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 12:50 pm    

With our little PA for small clubs and private events my Stringmaster does not have enough output to go direct in and the sound is horrible.
But a good tube preamp on your pedalboard can be a good choice e.g. a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube or a Reußenzehn Black Face (German boutique stuff) is a possibility to have a cool tube amp sound without carrying Twins.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 1:06 pm    

I will second the idea of carrying a pre-amp or an amp sim. I did well with a Pod xt. Whether you use it to simulate a Fender or just use it to have control of your sound at your fingertips, it is far better than just going in to the board. You will still be at the mercy of the person at the controls of the board but at least you can dial out some of the sterility of going direct.
No, it won't be as sweet as playing a sweet amp but it is a decent solution to a problem.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 3:38 pm    

A nice option can be a smaller amp with a good line out to the board. Then you've got lots of stage sound and the sound tech gets a good strong signal.

Steffen Gunter

Munich, Germany
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 12:27 am    

David Knutson wrote:
A nice option can be a smaller amp with a good line out to the board. Then you've got lots of stage sound and the sound tech gets a good strong signal.

Yes, this is right. I sometimes use the Roland Bass Micro Cube RX I have at home for rehearsing (I think the guitar version works even better). Connecting the Rec Out with a mixer sounds pretty good and you even have some effects onboard.

About half the size and even better sounding (but more expensive) is a ZT Lunchbox. My partner owns the acoustic version and I sometimes use it when I need the Roland otherwise. It's got a good reverb built in and can be really loud and clean.

This way you have a stand-alone-amp for some occasions (e.g. playing private sessions) instead of a pre-amp you can't use otherwise.

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 5:35 am    

I set my little Yamaha THR10C practice amp right next to me and locate my Shure SM57 mic right in front of it. The amp is my pedal board & stage monitor. The mic output goes to the PA mixer board. My settings on the amp are usually ACO (acoustic), max gain, 3/4 master, max bass, max middle, no treble, no effects, a little spring reverb, and max guitar output. These settings can all be a preset selection on this amp. You can have up to 5 presets you can select with a button for each. It's easy to switch presets with the amp sitting next to you. I can warm up off stage with headphones. Works for me.

Michael DeMartini

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 6:58 am     Thanks

Thanks all for advice. Appreciate it.

Steven Tekulsky

New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 8:34 am     Amp/PA

David Knutson wrote:

What is the point of having a small amp, and then using a line out to the board? Assuming the sound will come out of whatever speakers the board is powering....and no sound through the amp....is it to use the amp to get the tone you want?

Thanks!

Steffen Gunter

Munich, Germany
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 11:51 am     Re: Amp/PA

Steven Tekulsky wrote:
[
.is it to use the amp to get the tone you want?

Steven,

yes it's tone and volume – if you plug your guitar directly in the mixing console, the signal is too weak und sounds thin and not warm und round.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 11:56 am    

Another "amp simulation" option is a pedal like the Tech21 "Blonde" or its reverse-engineered-in-china clone called the Joyo American Sound. Plug the guitar in to that and send a line out to the band's sound board mixer. It sounds a whole lot more amp-like than plugging straight in to the mixer, plus you can control the Bass, Treble, Middle, and gain from the pedal. I have the Joyo and have only used it live a couple of times, but it saved my bacon once. If I find I really need something like that, I'll spring for the Tech21 version to help pay for the real engineering efforts. Oh, these pedals are a little lighter than a Twin.

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Michael DeMartini

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 12:42 pm     mixer or amp

I want to thank you all for your opinions and help. Have tried a couple of options, but honestly, every time I plug my lap steel into my 65 Fender Twin, it sounds so clear and sweet, especially with the Lansing Wolverines that I had installed in '66. (Remember back then? Gas was 26 cents a gallon....and that was for Ethyl) Anyway, back to my amp. I wasn't crazy about the Jensens. The Lansings sound wonderful. So, barring getting a hernia or something, Fender it is. Thanks again all.

Any advice of the settings for the mixer while I use my amp.? Should the highs, mids, and lows be at the middle?

Michael

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 1:05 pm    

This sort of discussion really belongs in Electronics rather than Steel Without Pedals.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 1:45 pm    

If you want the sound of a Twin, carry a Twin.
If you have a couple grand, a Milkman Half and Half sounds a LOT like a Twin (but a bit better) and weighs 30 pounds.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2016 7:16 pm    

Brad Sarno's preamps sound killer going direct into a mixer. I've used a Revelation for years going direct with in-ears and have loved my tone.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 2:10 am    

So basically instead of a TWIN you are going to plug into a Solid State something other which really has no pre amp voicing's for electric Instruments which feeds a pair of speakers meant for general purpose and pray for a good sound ?

Why not just grab a NVille 112 ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2016 11:36 am     Wow!!

I am on the post just above this one, I use my Profex II then to a channel on a Yamaha PA, sounds great to me. Beats hauling that amp for small gigs thats for sure. But Hell, how would I know Ive only been play for 40+ years.

Ernie Pollock Laughing