26%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 57

Author Topic:  Short key heads
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 8:26 am    

How do you feel about short key heads?
I prefer the longer ones.
I have a hard time getting around the keys when they are too close together when putting on a new string or tuning.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 9:13 am    

I wouldn't say 'no' to a short keyhead Emmons but that's because I've heard that they sound good.

I'd have to play it to make my own mind up, however.

As for the question, well, there's just about enough room to change strings on a standard headstock - it can only be a bit harder on an SKH.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 9:18 am    

If you look at a lot of the pedal steels being built today, they have short key heads. It really caught my attention when I looked at a Williams up for sale.
I looked at my Zum last night and I really like the length of that key head, just right. Very Happy

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 12:21 pm    

There is something special about them, both of mine have excellent tone IMO. (In other words; I am a definite "like"!)

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 1:37 pm    

Yes Erv, I really like mine too. Has great tone, plays easy and is considerably lighter feeling to me than a regular LeGrand and especially a push pull. The changers are rock solid.
Only draw back mine has is the keys are very hard to turn. Probably just the brand of keys and I think Spurzel is what mine are. Would have to check.

Would like to hear some reasons why some dislike them.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 6:47 pm    

I like the finger support for extra support on the changer. A good design. Never played one but have heard a few and they sounded fantastic. J.R. Rose

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2016 4:30 am    

They do make it harder (slower) when it comes to changing strings, but then again, so do closed-end (one piece) keyheads. Compact designs are nice, but having tuning keys that hit each other (as they do on some D10s) is a very stupid concession in the name of compactness. Laughing

As to any sound improvement, I'd believe that if and when someone could listen to a recording and definitively tell what kind of keyhead was on the guitar that was used. Winking

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2016 6:58 am    

I prefer keyless - very short!

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2016 9:15 am    

The SKH Emmons that I had must have been an anomaly. Most say how good they sound, but the one I had was the worst sounding pro level steel guitar that I've ever had. Sustain was also practically non-existent above the 12th fret.

All that changed later on when Tommy Young wound up with it and did his MaxTone mod to it, whatever that consists of. It was so much better in all regards that it was hard to believe it was the same guitar.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2016 10:48 am    

I read some where that Buddy told Ron, after playing the first SKH, if you can reproduce this tone, you have a winner. Buddy said Ron was never able to reproduce it but the SKH remained a guitar that he liked.
I think it's funny that people mention things that bother them that I never even notice and on the other hand, I notice things that no one ever mentions. I have found no drawbacks what so ever to my SKH except the tuners are stiff and hard to turn. The spacing never bothers me. I personally like the tone better than the Legrand II's and III's but that's just me. It seems tighter with better string separation and more sustain.
I think the short key head is a plus because you have less string to pull over rollers and some over tones are eliminated. I can't hear them but some people can.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 3:45 am    

Erv,Now you've got me thinking...and that's a dangerous thing Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 7:21 am    

Stu,
Just take your medication and you'll be alright. Laughing Laughing

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 1:43 pm    

Can't tell the digfference in tone, but I like the looks of the shorter keyhead on my Mullen D-10.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 3:13 pm    

I voted "makes no difference." FWIW I've had two SKH guitars (out of 4 LG's I've owned) come through my house and neither did a thing for me, but I have never been a devoted fan of any LeGrande either tonally or ergonomically so take my opinions with however much salt you like. YMMV.

The Sperzl tuners used on early 80's Emmonses, both LeGrande and Original, were lubed with a grease that hardened over years and made the tuners difficult to turn. My 1983 PP, which sounds as great as a PP can IMHO, has difficult to turn Sperzl tuners. Nature of the beasts.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2016 4:24 pm    

So....all of these lightweight steels on the market today, like Stage One, Mullen Discovery, Zumm Encore.....would they be classified as SKH ?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 7:04 am    

Chris,
Pretty much so, I'm afraid. Whoa!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 1:17 pm    

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:
So....all of these lightweight steels on the market today, like Stage One, Mullen Discovery, Zumm Encore.....would they be classified as SKH ?

They would be classified as shorter than some guitars but not a SKH. SKH is an identification name that was given to an early model Legrand because of the keys being shorter and the term is not associated with other brands as far as I know even though some have shorter key heads.

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 8:02 pm     Skh

I was fortunate enough to get a SKH LeGrande in the mid-80's. It has always had great tone and sustain. I'm playing it through a Quilter Steelaire now, and all I can say is "WOW!" The 3rd string (G#) needs to be wound with 6 more wraps around the tuner or it will break prematurely. Other than that, the only thing better would be something made as durable, good-sounding, and keyless. It is one well-made guitar!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 7:11 am    

I don't prefer them unless they use the mini tuners then it's ok......As far as Tone, does half inch shaved off really make any difference? Rolling Eyes

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 7:36 am    

Larry, don't know if shaving half inch off would make any difference but think it would to a small degree, but, biggest difference is the changer which I do think changes the tone.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 8:32 am    

There has been some mention of keyless guitars.
I put a keyless tuner on a Sho~Bud some years ago.
I forget who was making that unit at the time but I noticed a difference in the tone.
I felt that the long keyhead on the Sho~Bud added to the resonance.
A keyless guitar reminds of a chicken after you've cut its head off. Whoa!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 9:03 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
There has been some mention of keyless guitars.
I put a keyless tuner on a Sho~Bud some years ago.
I forget who was making that unit at the time but I noticed a difference in the tone.
I felt that the long keyhead on the Sho~Bud added to the resonance.
A keyless guitar reminds of a chicken after you've cut its head off. Whoa!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2017 9:26 am    

I like the newer more compact bodies and that usually means short key-head or even key-less. A shorter more compact guitar takes up less room in a small studio or on stage. I currently own two key-less guitars and they both have tone and sustain equal to my old MSA Legend keyed guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger