The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  making an mp3 cd from youtube
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 10:38 am    

Is there a way to download and burn an mp3 cd from a youtube song please ? Thank you.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 12:46 pm    

There's more than one way to go about it.

1: you could use a youtube download application and just download it to your hard drive in mp4 form, and then use any of several converters to transform the mp4 into an mp3 or WAV file and then burn that to CD.

2: you could record what you hear when you play the youtube video with an application such as Audacity. Save that sound recording as a WAV file and then burn the WAV to a CD.

3: I think there are web sites where you can paste in a URL for a youtube video and it will convert it to mp3 online, and you could save that and burn it.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 2:09 pm    

If your browser is Firefox, get the "YouTube MP3" add on that places a button on the You Tube page to make use of the YouTube mp3 technology to obtain a private copy off that video broadcast which they can download.

The add on button takes you to this page http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ where it auto-magically gives you a download link for the MP3.

I've use it a lot.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 6:48 pm    

The Firefox Add-on is actually named YouTube MP3 Podcaster and is currently at version 3.9.0. It can download and save media files in several file formats, with MP3 being the primary design target. It will save a complete YouTube video that is in an HTML 5 video format as an MP3 audio file, if that is what you want. Once the download begins you can even unload that video and load another and it won't stop the download (unless you accidentally close Firefox too!).
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 10:49 pm    

I run a wire from the audio output of my computer into my Zoom H2 recorder, and press the "record" button. That puts it into an audio file (WAV or MP3) that I can burn to CD or copy to my practice iPod.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 12:39 pm    

I use a program called Wondershare AllMyTube. It works great. It will download the video and automatically convert to a video file to an audio file (Mp3, wav, etc...). I prefer to have both the video and Mp3 files, so I save the videos in one folder and the Mp3 files in folders for that performer. The quality of the downloads is great. It's really good.

It is not a free app, but I don't think I paid much for it from Amazon. $30

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 12:18 pm    

I use this

https://youtubedownloader.com/how-to-download-youtube-videos/

It can download as mp4 or mp3. You copy and paste the URL from the YouTube page into it. Sometimes you find it's already there.

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2016 12:46 pm    

I use keepvid.com
Can save in various audio and video formats

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 3:29 am    

there are many ways to skin this cat. for years I used some programs that I downloaded to the PC, but all of a sudden one would work then one day not so I opted for a different method. Kinda like what Bob is saying above.

I purchased a GEMINI DRP-1/ 2 track rack mount recorder, I built a single rack holder for it and placed it under the PC monitor.

When I use it, I send the PC audio out to the Gemini input and the Gemini out back to the PC input so I can monitor whats being recorded. Two simple stereo cables are ready should I need them.

The Gemini, like other recorders , records in MP3 modes or Wav modes to either an SD card or a USB stick. I generally use the USB stick to record then just plug the stick into the PC to transfer files. Although it does have a USB connector for easy transfer to the PC as well.

The Gemini cost I think $149 and is very easy to use. However, it does have two important features that are not even mentioned in the manual ! Noise Gate and AGC , both should be turned OFF, a quick google search solved that.

It has front and rear inputs and outputs and an input gain select as well as recording volume control on the front panel. I t also has the MIC / Line option of which I have never used.

If it dies I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

ANY AUDIO coming thru the PC is a breeze to capture. I have also used it to capture audio from the Direct TV box for shows such as the Marty Stuart show etc. Should you also do any home recording which does not offer an MP3 or WAV option, here ya go !

I could have used the Zoom H2 or another small Tascam recorder but I wanted a more permanent solution.

This thing covers a lot of ground. Plus the rack stand I built gives me another place to put "stuff".

thats all I got.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 31 Oct 2016 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 9:24 am    

That's pretty slick, Tony. I like that you don't have to rely on any particular software to make your recordings.

Sidebar: I always thought that DRM (digital rights management) in song files was so stupid! Didn't people realize that to copy audio, all you need is a wire and a recorder? It was as if people forgot about actual audio recording when computers came along. Duh!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 9:53 am    

b0b wrote:
That's pretty slick, Tony. I like that you don't have to rely on any particular software to make your recordings.

Sidebar: I always thought that DRM (digital rights management) in song files was so stupid! Didn't people realize that to copy audio, all you need is a wire and a recorder? It was as if people forgot about actual audio recording when computers came along. Duh!

Ha! Bob, I didn't want to say that but you are 100 % correct. It's basically just plugging a recording device into your PC's output and have at it ! Now of course some will say they want better audio quality. Truth be known if audio is coming from a web hosted site it's already cut at around 100 HZ and maxed at 16K and from a compressed audio file !.

I tried so many different softwares/sharwares etc. some good some not so good but at the end of the day a stand alone unit, much like a Zoom H2 as mentioned does it all and then some for me. I opted for a more dedicated unit rather than my H2 which is in my travelling gig bag.

And yeah , two stereo pairs,( also known as wires) one for the INS one for the OUTS . They are color coded sittin on the floor in front of the PC, it takes about 5 sec to get it ready for RECORDING. The IN comes from the PC audio out while the OUT goes to the desktop speakers or I just use headphones.

Run the internet audio volume at around 80% and the PC audio volume at around 80% and there is no baseline noise on the recordings. Obviously set the recording volume for the best signal without saturation.

"Slick" is a good word !

PLUS I forgot, if you look at the photo you can see two RCA females on the left, they are on the ext front input. I use those to take the audio feed from my old Victrola, also called a "Turntable", to record some songs off of old vinyl LP's which are also called "LONG PLAYS". The inputs are actually 1/4 inchers but I use the RCA adapters.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website