The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HELP... new steel copedent
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 9:23 pm    

After years of squeezing music from my 3+2 Sho-Bud (E's on the right), I'm going to order a 4+5 Encore. I haven't talked to Doug yet, but I suppose he can set it up however I like. I have some thoughts, and some blanks that need filling. Here they are... please don't be shy with your input.

I'm used to Emmons ABC floor pedals, and E's on the right, RKL/E- and RKR/E+. Can't see the benefit to switching. Am I missing something?

Is there a "typical" LKL,LKR configuration when E's are on the right?

The optional 4th floor pedal is too good to pass up. I'm thinking P0 rather than P4. What to put on it? Here's where I get confused. Franklin pedal? Raising 1&2 might be more useful for me. Suggestions?

This guitar will have a vertical lever. Seems like everybody wants to have LKV, but it often goes under-used/un-used. Lower both B's?

Pickup? Leaning towards single-coil TT. Interested to hear from those of you who have Doug's humbucker.

Sorry for being so long winded. This is a big deal for me. I've waited a long time to do it. Now I'm about to pull the trigger, and feeling lost with the decisions.

Thanks, everyone!

Dan

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 9:45 pm     Re: HELP... new steel copedent

Dan Robinson wrote:
and E's on the right, RKL/E- and RKR/E+. Can't see the benefit to switching. Am I missing something?

I like the E string pulls on the left knee because that lets me put the half-stop levers on the right knee.

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 11:57 pm    

Hey Dan - I'll shoot you a PM, but I have 4x5 Encore here in Denver with my E lowers on RKL like a Bud. You're welcome to check it out sometime. Doug builds a great guitar, and I'm sure he'd be happy to set it up however you'd like, but you can get a feel for one locally if you'd like and we can set up some time.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 6:47 am    

Like Earnest mentioned, I too, have the E+- on the left.

One of the benefits is that you don't have to "double foot" it: One leg does the work A+LKL or B+LKR as opposed to the A pedal with one leg + RKL with the other leg, etc. This will leave your right leg free to push pedals or levers in addition to what the left leg is doing.

Although Ben has the E- on RKL, (which is common) does he also have E+ on RKR?

Just a thought.............Pat.

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 8:07 am    

Pat, I'm a little weirder... E- on RKL and E+ on LKL.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 8:46 am    

I like the Es on the right and the 1&2 raise to unison with 3&4 on the lever that raises my F#s. Never had a FP or a vertical, so I can't help you there. Smile If you're comfortable with your current set-up, go with that. If you really wish you had a change that would do 'whatever', put it on the new one.. there's nothing about it that can't be altered later if you already have the VL and the '0'P installed! Have fun with it! Smile Seems the people I talk to that 'insist' that this lever has to do this or that are just like me..they just learned it that way. Smile

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 9:01 am    

Dan, this is the standard setup but you can pretty much have whatever you want -

The standard setup is Emmons floor pedals.
Left knees raise E's on left, lower on right
Vertical knee lowers B strings to Bb and split with pedal A for C note
Right knee left raises 1 to G#, raise 2 to E, lower 6 G# to F# split tuning with pedal B for G note
Right right lowers 2 to C# with feel stop for D, lowers 9 to C#
A pretty deluxe setup, especially for the price.
The extra floor pedal goes in the zero pedal position, to the left of the standard pedals.

Looking forward to receiving your order if you can stand the wait!

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 9:14 am     Re: HELP... new steel copedent

Dan Robinson wrote:

This guitar will have a vertical lever. Seems like everybody wants to have LKV, but it often goes under-used/un-used. Lower both B's?

If you like the E to F# and D# to E change on pedal 4 maybe it
could be possible to have the Franklin change with the LKV,at least strings 5 and 6 only.This being said,I guess that Doug Earnest's Encore copedent is great ! Maybe you could get used to it in a very short time !

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 9:41 am    

Doug Earnest wrote:

The extra floor pedal goes in the zero pedal position, to the left of the standard pedals.

Doug,is it be possible to have the fourth pedal in position 4 (ABC4 instead of 0ABC) without overcluttering the underside mechanism ? Thanks.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 10:24 am    

I like my setup (go figure, huh?)
P1= raise 1 and 2 to G# and E (this way you can split it with the whole tone drop of 2)
Pedals 2-4 A, B and C
LKL, Es to F
LKV, Bs to A# (split with A)
LKR, Es to D#
RKL 1 to G and 6 to F# (split with B)
RKR, 2 and 9 to C#, feel stop on 2 at D.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 12:23 pm    

Dan, for reasons similar to you, I learned with my E lower on RKL. I didn't get a guitar with the E raise until later, so I have that change in the more popular LKL. While I see the logic in having both E's on the right, I could never get used to it and kept changing back.

In looking through the "copedants" section of the forum, it seems I have the same one attributed to Johan Jansen: [url] http://b0b.com/tunings/jj.html [/url] I don't see any reason you couldn't use that as a starting point, and swap the LKL for the RKR so both your E's are on the right. If you use that copedant and can tune your splits, consider moving the G change from the 7th to 6th string.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 2:01 am    

As we all know, there is no such thing as a "standard" setup, but what Lane has there (apart from the P1) is to be commended to anyone starting out. It has everything to keep you learning for years before you need anything else, if indeed you ever do.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 9:02 am    

Doug Earnest wrote:
Dan, this is the standard setup but you can pretty much have whatever you want -

The standard setup is Emmons floor pedals.
Left knees raise E's on left, lower on right
Vertical knee lowers B strings to Bb and split with pedal A for C note
Right knee left raises 1 to G#, raise 2 to E, lower 6 G# to F# split tuning with pedal B for G note
Right right lowers 2 to C# with feel stop for D, lowers 9 to C#
A pretty deluxe setup, especially for the price.

Looking forward to receiving your order if you can stand the wait!

Thanks, Doug! I will contact you soon to get an order in the queue. Do you prefer an email, or can I call you?

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 9:17 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
I like my setup (go figure, huh?)
P1= raise 1 and 2 to G# and E (this way you can split it with the whole tone drop of 2)
Pedals 2-4 A, B and C
LKL, Es to F
LKV, Bs to A# (split with A)
LKR, Es to D#
RKL 1 to G and 6 to F# (split with B)
RKR, 2 and 9 to C#, feel stop on 2 at D.

Lane, you nailed a good reason for moving E-raises to the left knee.

My first floor pedal (P0) will raise 1&2, I think same as your's. The split by combining P0 and the string-2 lower makes more sense with the lever on the right. So will configure RKR to lower 2 and 9.

I'm prepared to learn raising E-to-F on LKL. Reluctant to move my E-lower lever, so planning to leave that on RKL.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 9:26 am    

If you spend much time in minor keys/chords, the ability to use the E lowers together with the 2nd string lower becomes really cool. I don't have my E changes on the same knee for their sake, but because they work so well with the other changes.