The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A one off Push Pull fatback
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 2:29 am    

My friend Ron Mawn put his Emmons push pull up for sale due to a recently diagnosed illness. The guitar is a lacquer birdseye maple 8 + 5 and is virtually 10/10 condition. It was previously owned by Manfred Schall from Germany, and the guitar was completely overhauled a few years ago by Bryan Adams. It certainly plays and sounds incredible. I have posted pics of the guitar even though it appears to have a buyer after less than one day on the market.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 4:41 am    

You got me drooling all over my keyboard. Mr. Green

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 5:14 am    

Ken,
I hope Ron' s illness is not too serious. I made it to the Sho-Bud shop on Denmark street in London a number of times and Ron was always helpful.

I will never forget his question about why Yanks insisted on taking baths in bathttubs with dirty water rather than showering. Caught me completely off guard. If you see him, give him my best. Stevet

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 7:44 am    

Steve - I have just got back from Ron's home, and he looks a little better today. He had a decent night's sleep last night for the first time in 3 weeks. I will pass your best wishes onto him when I speak to him next. Smile
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 2:03 pm    

Very nice looking guitar and I am sure Bryan Adams did a great job.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 3:00 pm    

What makes it a "one off"?

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 11:23 pm    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
What makes it a "one off"?

Show me another lacquered one with the body and metalwork in 100% unmarked condition, with such figured birdseye maple on the body. It would not have left the factory in any better shape than it is now.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 9:45 am    

It's so pretty - I'd be afraid to gig with it. Whoa!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 11:18 am    

After less than a day of being advertised for sale this guitar now has a new owner. It just goes to show that quality will always sell, even in these austere times.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 3:57 pm    

Thats a stunning looking guitar Ken - I'm not a push pull man myself but that is just outstanding :-}

I need a Zum just like it hehe ...
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 4:13 pm    

Hopefully that beauty remains and will continue to be played and enjoyed on the right side of the lake.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 8:03 pm    

Possibly the most elegant Emmons I've ever seen. Amazing.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 4:20 am    

I agree with Herb

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 6:52 am    

The sad part is that I could have sold this guitar 6 times over at least. The new owner wouldn't disagree with me when I say that his playing ability is very basic indeed. I would have preferred that it went to someone who would have done the guitar justice, but the name of the game was that I sell the guitar to raise funds for its previous owner who is extremely ill with chronic lung cancer and problems with his heart, liver and kidneys.

I have seen it said so many times on this forum that not all push pull guitars are equal. TRUE. This guitar sounds better than my black mica push pull D10, and in hindsight I should have sold my black Emmons and made up the balance and bought this beauty.

In addition he has a complete changer assembly (3 up & 2 down) with axle, for a Sho~Bud Pro 2 or Pro 3 or an appropriate LDG. The changer is original but is in as new condition having never been on a pedal steel ever. He also has an original Sho~Bud Pak-a-seat that was designed and built by Duane Marrs. I am in the process of getting both items advertised in the UK for sale.