The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedals
Randy Owens

West Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 3:14 pm    

I finally got my pedal steel (thanks, Lucky) and can see the need for a volume pedal. I think I'd prefer the Hilton over the Goodrich for no other reason than not using a potentiometer. As an amateur radio operator, I understand how pots cause problems. I see that there is a Standard and a Pro model with both coming in two sizes. Is one model better suited for PSG than the other? Is there a preferred forum dealer that everyone uses to purchase their pedals?

Thanks in advance

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 5:58 pm    

I do not own a Hilton but was considering a purchase. The description for the Pro indicates the Pro model as being best for the standing guitarists. Therefore I directed my interest for pedal steel usage to the Standard and Low-Profile models. I would have bought the low-profile due to height issues I have between my knee and the pedal base. But then. I heard about a nice volume pedal made by Doug at Stage One Pedal Steel Guitars and bought one (at a much less cost). It is nicely made and serves my purposes well at this point. An alternative you might look into.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 6:35 pm    

Randy, the pedal you used when you were here is a Hilton Low Profile.
Lucky

Randy Owens

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 11:06 pm    

Carl Kilmer wrote:
Randy, the pedal you used when you were here is a Hilton Low Profile.
Lucky

Oh yeah...it was smooth as butter too. It didn't produce scratchy audio or other quirks. I'm just unsure which model all of you guys use whether it be the "Pro Guitar" marked pedal with the tension adjuster and tuner out jack or the standard regular or low profile model.

Ken: I also sent an email off to Doug @ Stage One asking for information.

Thanks All!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 6:42 am    

The use of a good quality pot will greatly diminish any negative problems that plagued pot based volume pedals for a time. There was a time while being a dealer for Goodrich that the failure rate (scratchy sounds) exceeded 50% w/in 6 mos and now that problem has been solved the failure rate is less than 1% in the same time period.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 6:44 am    

I am with you Jim.

Have had 0 complaints on the new Goodrich pot.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 7:18 am    

Pot pedals will give you a great vintage tone. I've had the new Dunlop HotPotz pot in my Goodrich pedal for over 5 years new and still going strong. It uses conductive plastic traces instead of the old carbon tracks. Yes pot pedals can fail and so do the new electronic pedals!

Reviews of each:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Hilton/Hilton.html

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Goodrich%20120%20Pot/Goodrich%20120%20Pot.html

Greg, AA2FX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 7:38 am     Vp

I buy my Hilton VP's from Fred Justice.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 8:02 am    

I used Ernie Ball pedals for a dozen years and had two - one a backup. It all ended when pedal #1 broke its' string on a Friday and pedal #2 broke on the next day. Replacing that string is just about impossible for an adult without special tools or modifying the pedal base. Or maybe I just don't have that kind of patience! I bought my Hilton that weekend and have never been happier. I have two broken Ernie Ball pedals for sale. New strings included!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 10:40 am    

I'm an exception to the "rule" and never use a volume pedal with steel except as a "shutoff" device. But I use one quite a bit with 6-string guitar. In 25+ years use I have 2 - and old beck and a 50's Fender) I have never had a single pot problem nor have either been replaced.

If you simply treat the pot every 6 months or so with a small shot of Caig Deoxit a good quality pot will last for decades and work noiselessly. Also, NEVER store a pedal, amp, guitar or whatever with the controls in any position other than full-on or full-off. If left in a partially-on position for any length of time you can easily build up a small carbon deposit, which is most often what causes pops and scratchy sounds.

Also NEVER use contact cleaner - ever - on pots or switchers. ONLY use "cleaner/lubricant". One shot of cleaner alone can destroy a pot.

I've been loaned expensive potless and "boutique" volume pedals and found them all to be overpriced. Unless you REALLY need to have an adjustment for the minimum setting (instead of full off) any quality volume pedal (usually $50-100) will do the same job.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 10:33 am    

I just bought one of Doug's stage one pedals. It is smaller and works like a charm.

Ron Mishler

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 11:49 am    

I always used a Goodrich 120 Standard VP' except with my Emmons until my oldest Goodrich's pot went bad. Then I went through 2 new Goodrich VP's that went bad w/i a few months so I decided to buy a Hilton, 310.00 dollars w/shipping.... I had problems with it on and off for a long time changing chords and never really thinking it could be the pedal which is my fault, but all of a sudden it didn't work.... warranty expired from who I bought it from, I think 90 days. Anyway the new pot in my older goodrich sounds good for now....and my Hilton is in the back room in the box it came in!

Randy Owens

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 12:52 pm    

I corresponded with Doug and ended up ordering one of his pedals. With good reviews and the improvements in potentiometers, I think it's a good call. I'd think it would work fine for me at this point in my learning curve. He said they have a tuner output now too.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 2:51 pm    

David Cubbedge wrote:
I used Ernie Ball pedals for a dozen years and had two - one a backup. It all ended when pedal #1 broke its' string on a Friday and pedal #2 broke on the next day. Replacing that string is just about impossible for an adult without special tools or modifying the pedal base. Or maybe I just don't have that kind of patience! I bought my Hilton that weekend and have never been happier. I have two broken Ernie Ball pedals for sale. New strings included!

I still use the EB pedal. I replace the pots and stings about every two years. your correct about the task being difficult. I finally found a video on how to replace the strings and now its a cinch. Instead of a screwdriver with a bent tip I use a bent piece of #6 ground wire to hold the spring while I adjust the pot. Works great.

Randy Owens

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 11:01 am    

I received my new Stage One pedal from Doug. If there is any change at all in the tone, I am not able to detect it. The action is smooth with enough resistance without being overly loose. Volume level is smooth and linear with the pedal motion. I don't have the Mullen bracket but this pedal sticks to the floor solidly anyway. I can't ask much more from a pedal than that.

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 11:29 am    

Randy,

I am glad tha Stage One worked out. I am quite happy with mine also. Now I just need to figure how to correctly use it.

One nice surprise about this pedal, which if forgot about when I sent Doug my order, was how the thing was powered? Any electronic pedals I own I use a power supply as opposed to a battery because I do not wish to manually unplug it every time I use it. So I was concerned about how this pedal is driven. Turns out no extra power is required. No battery. No power supply. Just hook it up and let it be.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 1:38 pm    

Ron Mishler

I would contact Keith Hilton about your problem pedal. He is a good guy and will fix it for what I expect to be very little or after hearing your story, may honor it as a warrantied repair. You can reach Keith at khilton@aol.com
Send him an email. Update us on the outcome of your email exchange if you would.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 2:23 pm    

The Stage One is a pot pedal. No power required.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 3:28 pm    

FWIW, I've been recording with no V.pedal lately. I have been using a compressor and getting a great result with wonderful consistency. Confused Do you still love me? RP

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 6:24 pm    

Another thumbs-up for the Stage One. No batteries, no wall warts, no stupid strings, lightweight, sturdy. Does just what you need a VP to do at a price that's very reasonable.