The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Add Songs To The Set List Or Extend The Ones You Have?
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 3:06 pm    

We only play for private / corporate parties, bbq's, receptions, fund raisers, etc.

At these events, there is usually quite a mix of people, old and young, dancers and non-dancers.

When we learn a song, we tend to stretch it just a tad longer than the original recording by adding maybe one more lead and repeat the chorus a couple of times before going out. That way, there is plenty of time for the dancers to dance; but, we can then move on to another song that may appeal more to others in the audience...perhaps of another genre.

Several times, my wife and I have attended events where the band plays a song and each member playing a "lead" instrument takes a ride, then they rotate through again, each playing a ride, and then sometimes again. This stretches the song for quite a while. I'm guessing the dancers may enjoy that; but, as non-dancers, we get tired of hearing a song go on and on and are ready to hear something else.

Whatcha think? What do you guys tend to do?

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 3:35 am    

Lee

Like you, our band plays mostly event type gigs, senior dances and occasionally private events. Rarely, if ever do we do a bar or club gig.

We have plenty of songs in our repertoire and we can arrange our set list to what type of event or age group we are expecting.

We do have at least two songs per set that we can "double back" to the first verse and play two more leads (Keyboard and Steel) at the band leaders discretion. If he sees a lot of people dancing he gives a signal and we'll extend the song that way. If there's not a full dance floor he just signals the end of the song and we end it.

But we never extend a song more than two extra rides from any instrument, we're not a "Jam Band". Nothing wrong with being a "Jam Band" that's just usually not our audience.

We also have a group of "Pocket Songs" we can draw on. Again depending on the event. If we anticipate an older crowd these are usually ballads or slow waltzes. If it's a younger crowd these "Pocket Songs" tend to be more up tempo and rowdier.

We can insert or substitute any of those into the set list.

So I guess the long answer is we try to be prepared to do either one.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 5:01 am    

Lee, my wife and I have done our share of dancing, and from that perspective I'd suggest you keep it somewhere in the middle. Either extreme can be frustrating.

Obviously a song that ends just as you're getting warmed up leaves you wishing there was more. But a song that drags on far too long is no good either.

Just like a steel player, a dancer only has so many tricks in his bag - some have many more than others. (I'm talking about a couples dance like a 2-step or waltz, not a line dance where you are always doing the same thing). After you've been around the floor 4 times, gone through every move you know a time or three, you're faced with either doing more of the same, or walking off the floor in the middle of a song.

I suppose the trick is to know when enough is enough, but I agree with those who say moving on to a new song is better than endless verses of the previous one. A little longer than the original is fine, but don't over-do it.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 8:42 am    

One of my biggest pet peeves is to lengthen a song with extra solos. Just because people are on the dance floor, doesn't mean you have to lengthen a song. Have another song already chosen to follow with. You will keep them on the dance floor, and break the boredom of playing/hearing the same song drone on. The crowd would probably also like it.

Ian Middleton

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 8:02 am     Add Songs To The Set List Or Extend The Ones You Have?

Way back in the day when I played bass guitar in country music bands (in Scotland), a "dance" comprised 2 songs, of normal length and same tempo. If nobody, or very few people, danced, we only did one song.

I played with various bands at that time, and the norm was 2 songs per dance. If the gig wasn't a dance gig, it was single songs all the way.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 10:44 am    

Another idea is to work up a few segues. A band I was in did several. That way you get the longer tune with 2 separate songs in it. Keeps them on the dance floor, and keeps sheer boredom from setting in for the musicians.

A strange house gig I had, the owner told us flat out not to have lengthy songs as it keeps people on the dance floor instead of at their table ordering drinks. He said dancing doesn't pay the bills, selling drinks does.

With that all said, I really prefer having set lists and fire one song after another with only a small break between songs. It keeps the one's that want to keep dancing on the floor, while letting the one's that don't an opportunity to go get a drink.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2016 4:34 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

A strange house gig I had, the owner told us flat out not to have lengthy songs as it keeps people on the dance floor instead of at their table ordering drinks. He said dancing doesn't pay the bills, selling drinks does.

Tell the owner you'll play a bunch of fast ones one after another, and when their tongues start hanging out you'll take a break and they'll be glad to drink! Laughing

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2016 7:39 pm    

A related subject. I think the crowd feels better when a band does some MC work and talks a little between songs (to the audience and not to one another) I believe the audience feels more involved and entertained. Too many bands that I know of just stand there and play one song after another. They complain about DJ's taking the gigs, but it might as well be a DJ as a human jukebox. When it's that way I feel like I'm being rushed.

RC

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 11:48 am    

I agree with Rick.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 2:42 pm    

When you get older the shorter the song the better. When my wife and I dance, we typically wait till the first instrumental, that way we usually dance to half a song. Keep that in mind when you have an older crowd.