The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Intro for "Just Give A Lonely Heart A Home"
Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 9:08 am    

I have been messing with this Faron Young intro for awhile now but just cannot seem to get a couple of the specifics. Has anyone ever figured this out? Many times I have had trouble with some songs and after being shown, it turned out to be laying right in front of me. I am sure this is the case here. I believe it was done by Lloyd Green. Any help would be most appreciated. Best Regards.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 8:57 am    

Here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz-aBlDK2BA
It's something like sliding down from the eight to the six fret with the A- pedal engaged. The subtleties escape me also.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2016 12:36 pm    

Hey Zeke.. heres a quick video.. nice intro.. I hadn't ever heard it but i'm always up for learning some Lloyd!

There are some nuances in the rhythm that I didn't quite get, and he could be playing things differently but this will get you most the way. IT's pretty close.

Sorry not my best video in a lot of ways but had a moment and thought I'd figure it out!

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/joycRf1UnQ0

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 6:48 am    

Ha! Well OK the silence is deafening. t hopefully someone can get something out of it sometime

Very Happy

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2016 3:09 am     Thanks so much for your help .

I have not been on in awhile and have not seen this till now. Thank you for your video. You nailed the second part that has escaped me. Faron has always been my favorite singer, and Lloyd - one of my favorite steel players. I always thought this intro by Lloyd was one of his best works. Please forgive the delayed thanks for your help. Did you by chance save the video file to your computer? I cannot seem to download it on youtube downloader. It sais "file not available". I can watch it but not download for some reason. Your efforts are most appreciated and very helpful. Now, if I can just get this great piece of work into my hands we'll be good to go. lol. Best Regards.

Alexander Rehfeld

Aberdeen, Scotland
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2016 1:24 pm    

Josh, very well done!

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2016 3:09 pm    

I probably don't have the original file. When I get back into town I will try to look though

Alexander Rehfeld

Aberdeen, Scotland
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 12:51 am    

Hey everyone here's a message from Lloyd concerning this intro:

"Man, I don’t want to make Josh Yenne feel bad about that ancient Faron Young intro….
But that ain’t the way I did it. Of course, like most anything played, there are, multiple ways to execute the idea. There’s a lot of wasted motion in his way although it sounds pretty close.
Actually, I played almost all of it all on frets 3 and 1 by starting the descending line on strings 3,4 & 5 on the 3rd fret with the B & C pedals pressed. This way, there’s a lot of economy of motion saved…and all the notes are within those two frets. Not much pedal usage beyond the 3 floor pedals. The major question was, would I be allowed to play an unorthodox intro that didn’t quite follow the formulaic ones of that era. It sure was not what they expected….But Faron, the musicians and most importantly for me the producer, Jerry Kennedy liked it. So it became the intro on that song. I had a lot of original, commercial ideas with big artists rejected by various producers who thought some of my music was a bit too adventurous for the listeners and record sales, most notably on some of the Charley Pride sessions, where I left more than one session feeling Jack Clement, his producer, had just thrown away some of my most creative ideas. But I certainly appreciate the effort and time Josh put into an interesting intro and again, I’m not trying to one up him here. Thanks Josh!

Lloyd Green"

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 4:21 am    

Wow - straight from the master - thanks, Alexander!

Peter Johannisse

Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 10:37 am    

Many years ago I tabbed this part and just recovered it. I am missing the fill #8. I hope this gives you a starting point to work it out.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2016 4:12 pm    

Ha! Sweet.. Lloyd you can ALWAYS one up me both in playing and in explaining your playing! Nothing but respect on this end! I hope Alexander can get this message back you. I've learned a bunch of your music (probably WRONG) but generally get the notes approximately. Without a doubt you're my favorite steel player ever and if I can even approximate the things you play I'll consider myself successful! Now if I can just get you to teach me the walk down at the end of Green Strings cause I can't figure that one out! Learned it years ago (a video on my website at slower tempo a few years back) and LOVE that tune... but never could quite figure out that walk down!

Smile

Hey.. a man can try... anyways.. hope this gets back to you and honored to tell you (somewhat directly) thank you SO much for all the great playing over the years... a true inspiration every time I hear ya!

Josh Yenne

Alexander Rehfeld wrote:
Hey everyone here's a message from Lloyd concerning this intro:

"Man, I don’t want to make Josh Yenne feel bad about that ancient Faron Young intro….
But that ain’t the way I did it. Of course, like most anything played, there are, multiple ways to execute the idea. There’s a lot of wasted motion in his way although it sounds pretty close.
Actually, I played almost all of it all on frets 3 and 1 by starting the descending line on strings 3,4 & 5 on the 3rd fret with the B & C pedals pressed. This way, there’s a lot of economy of motion saved…and all the notes are within those two frets. Not much pedal usage beyond the 3 floor pedals. The major question was, would I be allowed to play an unorthodox intro that didn’t quite follow the formulaic ones of that era. It sure was not what they expected….But Faron, the musicians and most importantly for me the producer, Jerry Kennedy liked it. So it became the intro on that song. I had a lot of original, commercial ideas with big artists rejected by various producers who thought some of my music was a bit too adventurous for the listeners and record sales, most notably on some of the Charley Pride sessions, where I left more than one session feeling Jack Clement, his producer, had just thrown away some of my most creative ideas. But I certainly appreciate the effort and time Josh put into an interesting intro and again, I’m not trying to one up him here. Thanks Josh!

Lloyd Green"

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 10:00 am     Many Thanks to Josh, Peter, and everyone.

I very much appreciate all your help with this song. Hearing from Lloyd was also a bonus. The tab from Peter and the video from Josh will get me going with a couple different approaches - which is always a good thing. Thanks again as I have been working hard on this only to get it "kinda" close. My best to you all.