The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Deleting a program Windows7
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 11:23 am    

I have an old program on my computer Windows 7 I haven't used in ages. It says the uninstall link is corrupt. If I delete the screen icon, then go to: My Computer, click on C: drive, find the program folder, right click and delete it then scan for fragments will the program then be deleted? Or do I have to download one of those uninstaller programs? It's a messenger type program I used to stay in touch with family members over seas. Appreciate any advice I can git. Confused

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 11:41 am     Re: Deleting a program Windows7

George Redmon wrote:
I have an old program on my computer Windows 7 I haven't used in ages. It says the uninstall link is corrupt. If I delete the screen icon, then go to: My Computer, click on C: drive, find the program folder, right click and delete it then scan for fragments will the program then be deleted? Or do I have to download one of those uninstaller programs? It's a messenger type program I used to stay in touch with family members over seas. Appreciate any advice I can git. :?

You already have the right idea, George. I do the same thing;: attempt to uninstall and fail, manually delete the files, folders and shortcuts, then reboot (important), then run a Registry scan with CCleaner. If it finds remnants pointing to the deleted files and folders, I delete them with CCleaner (running as administrator). Always accept the option to save a backup of the items being removed, just in case. Double-clicking on those .reg files will merge them back from whence they came.

If, like me, you operate as a less privileged user (Standard User), rather than an admin, you need to repeat the CCleaner scan from inside your Standard User account, not running it as an administrator.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 12:38 pm    

Thanks so much Wiz. That did the trick. I really appreciate your help. You Da Man....

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 6:10 am    

Note that if you like using Ccleaner and get into Windows 10, Windows 10 will delete Ccleaner.. Rolling Eyes

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 7:09 am    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
Note that if you like using Ccleaner and get into Windows 10, Windows 10 will delete Ccleaner.. Rolling Eyes

Dang right. I'm goin' back to XP. I'm sick and tired of all this Windows 10 nonsense.
/sarc

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 7:20 am    

Dave Potter wrote:
Godfrey Arthur wrote:

Dang right. I'm goin' back to XP. I'm sick and tired of all this Windows 10 nonsense.
/sarc

Too bad for you man...
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”

Hey Harry when they start mandating you wear one of these, guess we'll know you made A's in trendy class..

Let's see..are you in the front ?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 1:39 pm    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
Note that if you like using Ccleaner and get into Windows 10, Windows 10 will delete Ccleaner.. :roll:

That's not true in my case and I am on Windows 10.

I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 a year ago and suffered all kinds of stability and usability problems, all of which were eventually resolved by a system reset.

After I did the System Reset, a couple months ago, it did uninstall CCleaner along with all of my other 3rd party programs that were installed into the Program Files and Program Data directories. This was explained before I proceeded with the reset, which solved numerous stability problems. Since I keep all downloaded setup files, reinstalling CCleaner, along with all of the other programs I regularly use, was not a big deal, just time consuming. Actually, they now work better than before.

The bottom line is that Windows 10 only removed CCleaner when I did a system reset. It has not interfered with it ever since I reinstalled it following the reset.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 2:41 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:

I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 a year ago and suffered all kinds of stability and usability problems,

The bottom line is that Windows 10 only removed CCleaner when I did a system reset. It has not interfered with it ever since I reinstalled it following the reset.

Thanks Wiz for the testimony. But word is some computers react differently and a slew of consumers are finding out too late that 10 is not as reliable as OS's before it.

Having the latest up-to-date computer is one thing but it's not essential to make music. Hits were made before with older cpu's and OS. The computer industry (as it is now) is not there to make life easier for humans. It is there to essentially enslave them, like it or not.

The issue here is in the context of a music DAW or a graphics workstation like that of Mike Rivero's experience who worked on the movie Stargate, The Day After Tomorrow, Star Trek, etc as a CGI expert, finds out 10 will not let him run his graphics software wherein he had valuable files within that graphics software, that using an OS that is not there to help music or videos to be made, and anyone who will commit time, energy and emotion to recording session files or any creative work, only to find out we are left to our own devices getting these OS to work that we become aware that; since an OS reacts randomly and with upcoming unknown updates that are pressed onto computers by Windows, that make the OS delete, move, render unopenable, files as well as with the upcoming Microsoft plan of charging monthly rental fees after 10 goes the way of the previous OS's, we are gambling with losing these files and/or being assured they will be able to be retrieved or even opened to use, remix, render etc.

The security issues are one side. The other is what does one do when you can't locate your files or need to pay a constant fee to have access to them?

Rather than go down that rabbit hole, might want to consider where this is all going.

Sorry but Microsoft is not our friend.

Look what happened when Apple was being forced to give the NSA/FBI keys to unlock people's iPhones in the encryption dispute?

Let's not confuse Steve Jobs with Bill Gates.

Again security is one issue and up to each individual as to whether it matters to them or not. But music making is another side that will be impacted with software that is there for surreptitious motives.

Have your fast acting internet computer but be wary of committing your art to a cpu with an OS that is designed to wean humans off of memory based pc's onto the next generation of cloud-portals where everything including your personal photos, music, biodata will be stored in cyber space as these upcoming devices will have no way to store memory or work with older hardware.

In this context your older cpu's OS will not be boat anchors and will have their usefulness.

The same ilk of people that control Windows OS, control the manufacturing of pc's, processors with government mandates as to what is to be designed into these processors.

And all you have to do is notice how more and more of everything we do on a pc is involving a cloud that does not belong to you nor an OS that soon you will not own outright and will have to rent.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 4:22 pm    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
Sorry but Microsoft is not our friend..And all you have to do is notice how more and more of everything we do on a pc is involving a cloud that does not belong to you nor an OS that soon you will not own outright and will have to rent.

And so goes the anti-Microsoft rant. But you're dead wrong if you think all of us "lemmings" are being lured into the "cloud". I don't use ANY "cloud" services, and don't plan to. I don't need it, and I'm not "forced" into it, as you seem to be implying everyone is.

BTW, how did you manage to get past the forum rules that require using one's real name? "Godfrey Arthur" is fake, obviously.