The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  **FIXED** My Goodrich Match-Bro Died
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 2:41 am    

My Match-Bro has developed a problem, I'm assuming because of using a dead battery. It was working but output had lowered due to low battery voltage. I installed two new (new unopened package) 9VDC batteries and tested it and no output. I checked the batteries and one of the two new batteries was dead (0 V). I replaced the defective battery and tried it again but still no output in the Guitar (bypass) mode. I switched to Dobro mode and it is howling (oscillating) and I can vary the tone with the Timbre control. I changed the op-amp as it is the only "plug in" component but it didn't make any difference. Nothing else I can do without a schematic.

I e-mailed the new Goodrich company about repair but still waiting for a response.

Sad Sad

Last edited by Jack Stoner on 16 Oct 2016 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 4:23 am    

Jack,
CALL Kevin at Goodrich. He usually gets in around 9am PST

760-547-1260
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 5:10 am    

Bill, I e-mailed them around 9am Friday (California time). I would have expected to get a response.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 7:03 am    

Jack, Friday is Kevin's busiest day.

that is the day he does all of his packing shipping and billing.

you would get better results if you will call him on Monday
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 8:15 am    

Hey Jack I resent an email I sent to you Friday morning check it out.... Sorry for not getting back sooner. Sometimes the contact form from our website doesn't pop and forward into our mailboxes.. Best to email me here: goodrichvp@gmail.com
Thanks Bill for watching out..!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 8:24 am    

Thanks Kevin. I responded to your e-mail.

Here is the e-mail I got from Kevin (great of him to offer to check it out at no cost).

Quote:
Hey Jack, yeah those boxes are tricky to fix.. We do not have any schematics which makes this difficult... Even with schematics these boxes are old and caps dry out, cold solder joints... whatever... I have gotten lucky on a couple of them and not so much on a couple others... Not sure how much help I can be here... You can send it out no charge and I will take a look...
Kevin

I'm going to break out my O'scope and audio signal generator and see if I stumble across something.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 1:15 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:

I'm going to break out my O'scope and audio signal generator and see if I stumble across something...

Smile

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 3:08 pm    

I "stumbled" across something.
There are two unknown components that only have one black band on them. One has zero ohms resistance one way and if I reverse the leads it has some resistance. The other one shows zero ohms both ways, although I checked them in the circuit. I need to disconnect one end of each and check again. Blake Hawkins (forumite) who is a retired Broadcast Engineer suspects they could either be some type of fuse or maybe a diode. I e-mailed Kevin and he will check when he gets to the shop Monday to see if he has anything on them.

I'll post the picture here in case someone recognizes what they are. One is next to the red wire (that one reads zero both ways).

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 3:52 pm    

The ones I have run into are merely used as jumpers, thus the single black band for zero ohms. That way automatic insertion equipment can insert the jumper just like a resistor. I would expect both of these devices on your board to conduct in both directions. Otherwise they are pry defective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-ohm_link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 2:28 am    

May be according to your link. May be a low current type of jumper as this is where the 18VDC or from the external power supply is connected to the circuit board (red wire). In this case it would sort of act as a fuse.

I'll know more after I get them out of the circuit where I can check them and not be affected by other circuit components.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 5:37 am    

As Greg pointed out those are "zero ohm" resistors. Thanks Greg.

However, those are not what I suspected as the problem. So on to other things.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 6:29 am    

My Sencore Cricket transistor tester can check those transistors in circuit and also identify them as NPN/PNP for gain as can many other testers. Obviously the decoupling and signal caps can be checked with a meter or bridge starting with the electrolytic ones first. It's tedious but worthwhile to plow through all the components until you find the problem. Let us know what you find!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 7:17 am    

Jack, those are carbon composition jumpers...and should measure zero ohms in or out of the circuit...any value measured would indicate damage. I'd pull one end loose and re-test.

I suspect you'll find one of them is defective.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 7:24 am    

Mike, I did remove one end of each of those and then measure.

Greg, all the transistors in the MatchBro (at least the one I have) are all MPSA18 NPN transistors.

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 4:38 pm    

Following this thread, as my Matchbro is also acting up.

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 7:53 pm    

@ Jack Stoner

Just remember you are troubleshooting a EQ circuit .

I think I still have a schematic that I made years ago . It's fairly complete but it has not been checked for accuracy but could put you in the ball park.

Bob
Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 2:25 am    

Anything, even a partial schematic would help. I'm just groping around now, trying to follow the signal path. I suspect voltage (or lack of) caused the problem since it was working until I put in a dead battery.

Bob Lawrence

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 6:36 am    

Ok geive me a few days to see what I have. I know it's not complete because I borrowed the MatchBro to make the schematic and I had to return it before I could get it all done. ALso, this was back around 2005 so I don't know what I have after a bunch of MS Windows upgrades since then.

Here is a picture of the board I had at the time.

Franklin D10, Telonics (E9)True Tone(C6) pickups, Fender Steel King , Evans (FET 500LV), Nashville 400, Quilter MicroBlock 45 amp's, Telonics FP100 volume pedal, PodXT(effects only), Boss RV3(delay & reverb),Steel Guitar Black Box,Bill Lawrence cables, Walker Seat,Peterson Flip Tuner, IVL Steel Rider, IK Multimedia IRig Pro DUO for recording.

Bob Lawrence

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 7:25 am     Matchbro Schematic

Here is the paper version of the schematic I drew . I also made a version with computer software around the same time. But! like I mentioned earlier I had to give the Matchbro unit (that I borrowed), back before I could finish the project. Therefore, I had to make the drawings from pictures and had no way to verify anything. Sad

Bob Lawrence

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 7:54 am    

============================================
Op Amp:
Motorola MC34182P Low Power, High Slew Rate, Wide Bandwidth, JFET Input Operational Amplifier.
=============================================
Transistor : J113 = NTE469
Industry Number : J113
NTE Device Number: NTE469
JFET-N-CHAN CHOPPER/SW, TO-92

============================================
Transistor: MPSA18
NTE Device Number: NTE47
T-NPN,SI LO NOISE AMP,TO-92

Last edited by Bob Lawrence on 3 Oct 2016 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Lawrence

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 7:56 am    

@Jack Stoner

re:Greg, all the transistors in the MatchBro (at least the one I have) are all MPSA18 NPN transistors.

The board I borrowed had 2 J113 JFET's

Transistor : J113 = NTE469
Industry Number : J113
NTE Device Number: NTE469
JFET-N-CHAN CHOPPER/SW, TO-92

Bob Lawrence

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 8:11 am    

Data Sheet : MC34182P

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/12085/ONSEMI/MC34182P.html

Bob Lawrence

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 8:16 am    

Components - Board View

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 9:19 am    

WOW!

The one you had isn't exactly the same - but very close and will really help.

One thing I notice is yours only had one "zero ohms" resistor where mine has two.

Thanks again for all the help.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 9:38 am    

Good luck to you, Jack. I hope we don't read about your Match-Bro in the "Gone Home" section of the Forum!

Razz

Lee, from South Texas