The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rackmount Pre Amp, Power Amp, Effects, Hookup Guide
Jeff Rady

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2016 7:50 am    

This is for some dudes wondering how to hook up their rackmount gear. I'm using all 6 inch to 3 feet XLR Cables that I've acquired randomly for my cable hook ups.

1. This is how I arrange my rack. Power Amp on the bottom, Pre Amp in the middle, effects on top:

2.Looking on back of the rack, I'm going to bridge both channels together on the Stewart World 1.2 Power Amp, by pushing in this button. Which means I can only input and output out of Channel 1 on the Power Amp. I do this as I only have one 15' speaker in my cabinet, so running mono is more efficient.

3. I'm going to use the channel right output of the Pre-amp into the Channel 1 input of the Power Amp:

[/img]
Input of Power Amp:

4. I'm going to output from channel 1 of the power amp into the cabinet:

5. I'm going to run the input of the Reverb FX unit into the SEND of the Pre-Amp. Then I'm going to run the R channel output of the Reverb FX into the R Channel FX-Return of the Pre Amp. I'm not sure why this works, or if I'm doing it right but it seems to be working.

Questions:

1. Am I hooking the Reverb FX unit up correctly?

2. If I'm only outputting from one channel in the pre-amp, am I maximizing it's full potential even though I have to run mono. Am I able to somehow output out of both pre amp channels in a mono situation?

3. Any other suggestions for maximum efficiency and tonal nirvana in regards to hooking up the rack?

Thanks,

Jeff Rady

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2016 8:07 am    

The Rev is perfectly happy to have you use just one channel in MONO. It's very common to do it that way.

Be sure to set your reverb unit to 100% effect ONLY, ZERO dry signal. Then let the FX knob on the Rev control the amount of reverb you want to hear.

In front of the Rev, run a short cord from the guitar directly to the Rev's INPUT jack. Then use 2 cords to connect the volume pedal to the Rev's front panel "send" and "return" jacks.

Brad

Jeff Rady

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 7:35 am    

Right on! Thanks Brad!

Jeff Rady

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 12:31 pm    

Hi Brad,

I did what you said as far as, "In front of the Rev, run a short cord from the guitar directly to the Rev's INPUT jack. Then use 2 cords to connect the volume pedal to the Rev's front panel "send" and "return" jacks. "

But, how do I now include my pedal board through the loop?

Thanks,

Jeff Rady

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 2:04 pm    

World 1.2 can get pretty warm.
Make sure it can ventilate.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 2:36 pm    

Your reverb unit should work fine as is in a mono mode.

I would move the power amp to the TOP of the rack. Right now all that heat from the power amp is traveling up through the pre-amp and on up to the reverb unit. With it at the top, it heats up the top of the case.

If the case gets too hot, one solution is to cut a rectangular hole in the top of the rack right above the power amp heat sinks. Cover the hole with metal screen (use small washers with Pop-Rivets) and the paint the area to match. This lets the hot air flow out of the rack case.

If it is still too hot you will have to install a fan to cool the heat sinks. I'd take a look at the power amp schematic to see if the power supply has a 12v DC or 24v DC tap that you can tap into to drive a fan. If this is too complex for you, take it to a repair tech and have him hook it up.

Whenever I put a power amp in rack I leave 1U above and 1U below it for airflow. You can get 1U airflow screens that mount in the rack to cover the gaps on eBay & elsewhere.

The Peavey Rock Master preamp & the Marshall JMP-1 preamps have tubes in them so I left 1U between them for air flow.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8