The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1966 Fender
Dan Werner

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 1:51 pm    

Hi all, I have a 1966 Fender 10 string, 6 pedal steel guitar that I'm considering selling. Sunburst style and in great condition. Just wondering if any interest before I go through with pics and an ad. Thanks. Dan.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 3:04 pm    

Dan- I would think there will be a good amount of interest if priced reasonably. I would do a search and see what they've been selling for before posting. In this way you might avoid some frustration with a long waiting period. I have a sunburst 400 and love it. There are many fender pedal enthusiasts here. Good luck with you're sale.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 10:37 pm    

Hi Dan,

You have a S-10 Fender 800 Model Steel Guitar. The changer is double raise & double lower.

Someone on the Forum should be able to give you a value for this guitar.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2016 12:56 am    

Quote:
You have a S-10 Fender 800 Model Steel Guitar. The changer is double raise & double lower.

There's no such model. The S-10 was a much later student model - a Shobud Maverick with a slightly different cabinet, covered in black tolex and with a chrome Fender amp logo.

The Fender 800 is simply that. Some people use "S-10" to define single 10-string neck guitars, but with Fender guitars it can get confusing. "Fender 800" defines a single neck, 10-string, double-raise/double-lower guitar. There is no other type of Fender 800.

There are plenty of Fender players here. Depending on originality and condition, you can use either the Vintage Guitar Price Guide or recent eBay or Reverb.com closed auctions for price guidelines. We can also help on the Fender Steel Forum and Facebook's Fender Steel Guitar group - at both you can also get extensive information about the instrument's playability and how much service will be required to get it in top playing condition. I recommend selling it here though.

Condition, originality and finish have significant effects on pricing, so do your research before you post it. If you take clear top, bottom, front and changer bottom photos and email them to me (plus answer a couple operational questions). I'd be happy to help you determine a fair price (I have no interest in buying it).

Jim Sliff
Webmaster, Fender Steel Forum
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2016 8:28 am    

Yes, Jim, the Fender 800 is an S-10 guitar...but not everyone knows that. (Cut him some slack.) What it might bring is anybody's guess. Could be as low as $600-$700, or as high as $1100-$1200. Admittedly, values on a lot of guitars have gone a little screwy, lately. Confused

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 8:24 pm     Pricing

Been watching these for a few years and the prices do seem to goo between $800.00 and $1,200.00 on the ones that sell.
What seems strange to me is why the older Fender non-pedal steels seem to get a higher price than the pedal steels.
I love the way the 800 look but they are quite heavy and with my bad back. Ouch.
Good luck with your sale.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Dan Werner

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 12:32 pm     1966 fender

guitar is sold. many Thanks to everyone for the help. Please remove post. Donation sent. Thanks again Steel Forum.