The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP John D. Loudermilk
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 3:18 pm    

Just heard that he passed away yesterday, in his early 80s.

Had a way with a pen--Abilene, Waterloo, Talk Back Trembling Lips, Break My Mind, Ebony Eyes, The Great Snowman, Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye, Tobacco Road, Indian Reservation, A Rose and A Baby Ruth, Sittin' In The Balcony, and Language Of Love--which I wore out on juke boxes. Something about that harpsichord intro.

How could you not like something titled "You Call It Joggin' (I Call It Runnin' Around)"?

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2016 10:14 pm    

Sorry to hear about John's passing. He wrote a lot of great songs! RIP, John

Kind Regards, Walter

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2016 2:45 am    

Sad when anyone passes. But, I only met him one time - when I was on the road with George Hamilton IV in Florida. He completely ignored the band like we weren't even there even though George wanted to introduce us to him. We met him one night after a show at a restaurant. We all sat at a big table but he acted like he had no use for us.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 7:03 pm    

I always associated him with "Windy and Warm", which is usually one of the first Chet style tunes that people learn to play who are interested in that style (of maybe Freight Train). John D wrote Windy and Warm and both Chet and Doc Watson recorded it, and I am sure others as well. Never heard the tune sung.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp