The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Out of the attic
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 2:43 pm    

Because a CD has a longer playing time than an LP record, reissues of vinyl albums are often tempted to include "previously unreleased tracks". I take the view that the original producers got it right and that these tracks were withheld because they weren't as good as the others.

Has anyone ever heard a P.U.T. that was a positive revelation?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 2:59 pm    

Hmmmm.............I might go along with "usually get it right", but certainly nowhere near always.

Sometimes, I'm grateful for an alternate take of a released song, done either the same day or on a nearby date. Elvis was notorious for this---often doing more than a dozen takes and I get a kick out of hearing the differences in the attempts--especially when he breaks out in laughter 2/3 of the way through.

Other times, it's good to hear a completely unknown performance that was left in the can for some reason.

Lots of times an artist might record dozens and dozens of fine performances and never have more than one LP for a given label---Charlie Rich on Phillips is a glaring example that comes to mind immediately.

Many worthwhile artists never had an original LP release at all--so I'm grateful for whatever gets issued at a later date for whatever reason.

But I do wonder how a lot of people were ever allowed in a studio at all. What were they thinking? How could that mess possibly appeal to anyone? Did you really think you could climb off a John Deere and become a star? I'm referring to a time when having a voice of some kind was allegedly a prerequisite to success---no longer true of course.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2016 4:11 am    

Any out take from my favourite records, even if it's not the best stuff that's been layed down, is welcome. It makes me feel positivley nostalgic.
An example would be Paul Siebel's "Jack Knife Gypsy" reissue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HH4PnM2NLk