The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Sneaky Pete bar is being semi-retired (Ezzee-Slide info)
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 1:16 pm    

It's still kind of tough to sit up and type post-surgery and it's tedious to post from the iPhone or iPad.

But this is important. Sneaky's old ba that I've had for several years - the 3 1/2" x 1 1/4"->1 1/8" , one-pound bar made from aerospace material (reportedly at Convair in San Diego - I have the slightly-smaller of his two) is officially semi-retired! It'll be used, but only on special occasions.

The reason? Well, I have tried umpty-zillion bars. Typical 5/8" bars feel like a piece of uncooked spaghetti, and I have a bunch of wonderful synthetic bars made by David Mason, but those are also "special use" bars (all being far lighter than "Sneaky"). Also tried several high-end bars, none of while really impressed me.

Well - I got a custom Ezzee-Slide Baz made for me - 3 1/2 x 1 3/8 x 1 1/8, 8.75oz (on my cheapo scale) and it blows them all out of the water. The size is close enough to "Sneaky" that my sight-line is essentially the same, the weight (a little over half of what I've been using) is FAR easier to move around with - but the really stunning things are the tone, sustain, and complete absence of string noise. It sustains as well as the 1# bar (and the size/weight was intended to improve sustain on Sneaky's 400...improved tone was a bonus); the tone has the same clarity with just hair more warmth; and the polymer Baz uses seems to be completely frictionless.

Some players have posted on boards over the years that bar vibrato friction is critical to improving sustain. I've always doubted that, and felt it was the change in harmonics (due to string length) that increased sustain - although if you had a bar as rough as sandpaper it'd activate a string. The Ezzee-Slide absolutely proves the point. It's an incredible tool I highly endorse for both pedal and lap/console steel. Oh - and the recessed base FINALLY allows my weirdly-shaped left hand to do backwards-slants correctly.

Even the packaging is stunning - a wooden box with a logo burned into the top, a beautiful knit protective bag, and a spare black velvet bag (for those less adventurous).

Order one, and let Baz know what you need - he's custom making these things to order and can vary the dimensions AND weight (within reason). Trust me, you won't be sorry (and I am the most anal feel/tone freak you'll even find save Eric Johnson...).

Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 6:46 pm     Re: The Sneaky Pete bar is being semi-retired (Ezzee-Slide i

Jim Sliff wrote:

...Some players have posted on boards over the years that bar vibrato friction is critical to improving sustain. I've always doubted that..

Me too, Jim. I find that with a good bar and good volume pedal technique, while using a rolling vibrato, I can easily sustain a note or chord for 15-20 seconds. And personally, I never saw a need for more. Even Speedy West sometimes used a large bar on his Fender 1000, it definitely helps improve their sustain (which isn't that great to begin with when using a small bar).

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 8:43 am    

I now also use Basil's Ezzee~Slide 12 string bar. I had mine filled with 99.99% pure copper. It's similar to the Hughey bar. It's fantastic, well worth the few extra bucks. Basil will custom build you his bar to your spec's. Basil is a great guy to work with. Tell him George Redmon recommended his bars. Very Happy

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 2:16 pm    

Thanks for the KUDOS Jim and George. for those interested the BASIC pricing structure and variances are here{--->
CLICK HERE
And Jim, I believe you are less 'Anal' than you used to be ?

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 9:05 pm    

Guys, if this bar is dropped, will it nick or break? Of course I never drop my bar? 👻 Thanks, Steve t

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2016 3:52 am    

Jim Sliff also said
Quote:
PS - I accidentally dropped it while showing it to a neighbor (I really can't use stairs yet so it dropped 10', bounced and rolled). It *looks* like a plastic of some kind - but there was not a single mark on it. My "Sneaky" bar is the only other one that is so indestructible (I don't *recommend* dropping or throwing it. Unless it's at somebody you REALLY dislike! Winking

This is the kind of tool you won't usually read about in music magazines or their websites, so I wanted to mention it here to widen its exposure - the product is amazing, workmanship unsurpassed and Baz is a wonderfully responsive and helpful guy - not to mention an amazing steel and 6-string player!

CLICK HERE

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2016 6:11 am    

Millions of people around the world believe that Copper and Magnets can help relieve and prevent the pain of many hand and joint related problems.

Copper in your left hand and your right hand over very strong magnets = the best of both worlds..

I don't claim that the bar will help, BUT the reduced weight alone is beneficial especially as there is no sacrifice in tonality, indeed it's already been noted that the infamous "3rd String Wine" is dramatically reduced by not having metal at both ends of the string.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2016 7:28 am    

In terms of budget it would be a max of one bar only for me.

Is there a recommended size that comfortably goes back and forth in terms of technique between S-10 pedal steel and 8 string lap/non-pedal?

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 7:47 am    

Mark Eaton wrote:

Is there a recommended size that comfortably goes back and forth in terms of technique between S-10 pedal steel and 8 string lap/non-pedal?

Yes indeed Mark, a 'standard' 7/8" x 3-5/16" would be the size I use for 10 string, 8 string, and six/seven string reso..

CLICK THIS to view and buy——>