The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The late Jack Smith's Zumsteel (used) $4000.00
Tammi Smith

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 12:45 pm    

I am the wife of Jack Smith and need to sell his Zum pedal steel guitar. We are asking $4000.00. We would rather not sell his steel guitar, but that's what he would have wanted for us in this situation. We have 2 young daughters (6 and 11) that need the financial help more than they need his steel guitar. It's not doing anyone any good in it's case and they have no interest in learning how to play it.

(If you scroll down, Darrell Owens posted more information about Jack's steel guitar with some better pictures. he knows more about it than I do!) Thank you so much Darrell for helping us! God bless you...

It's a single neck with a double body and arm pad. I believe it has 6 knee levers and 4 foot pedals. The cereal number is: SD1046905, if you want to call Bruce Zum and ask him any specifics about it. He played it on the Grand Ol Opry for a few years, traveled the world and played on many albums with it. He had a new steel guitar built for him about 5 years ago (from another source) and it collected dust as he regretted buying it. He said this Zum was the best steel he had ever owned and insisted on this one over the new "pretty" one.

If you scroll down, there are pictures that other steel players have posted for me below. I can't post pictures on here myself, but I can text them to you if you'd like. Sorry, I have a computer problem. Feel free to call me at 360-929-0559 if you are interested as we are very eager to sell due to finances.
Thanks and God bless,
Tammi Smith
360-929-0559

Last edited by Tammi Smith on 16 Oct 2016 4:13 pm; edited 5 times in total

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 1:51 pm     pix

Hi Tammy,
You're first Facebook page comes up as page removed. The second thread is to your page, but no pictures of the steel. I thought you needed to know.
All the best to you and your kids.
Pat

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 2:22 pm    

The first facebook paged worked for me. It took me to Jacks facebook page. There are a couple of pictures of his guitar but they are really hard to see. Looks like an SD 10 with 4 pedals. Other than that, its difficult to see it.

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 3:22 pm    

The only picture I saw of Jack's Zum on Face Book is shown below with his two beautiful little girls.

It looks like a SD-10 4+5 to me. I'm sure there will be some interest in owning a Zum that was the personal guitar of one of the finest Steel Players in Gospel and Country Music.

Here is a sample of Jack's playing when with the Happy Goodman Family. Playing Lighthouse. Jack's playing a Emmons on this particular tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM1uIKSJHEk

Last edited by Roger Kelly on 20 Sep 2016 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 3:51 pm    

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 10:36 am     What A Player !

Jack certainly was a really good steel player. I never knew of him until I saw that youtube. Tommy.....

Tammi Smith

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 12:00 pm     Thank you for all your help!

Thank you Everyone for all your help!! We love and miss him so much and we appreciate it more than you'll ever know!!! May God bless you all in this day and age as well as eternally for all your doing to help us. You have no idea how much it truly means to us! P.S. We LOVE all your Jack Smith stories, so Please keep them coming and ask others to send them in as well....
Love, Tammi, Hannah and Savannah Smith

Roger Dillingham

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 5:31 pm     Jack Smith's personal steel for sale

Tammy, I know you and I have never met but I had the joy of meeting Jack back in '70s when he lived in my hometown of Madisonville, Kentucky. He was young, handsome, and very personable. Not what you would expect from someone with his talent in that he didn't seem to be full of himself at all. In fact, I felt he always seemed to be very humble and good-natured. It would have been hard for most to be as talented and in demand as he was in those days and not have a big ego. Jack never came across to me as that type; he always had time to chat with anyone and was very considerate of us guys who were just "wanna be pickers". I remember him and Rick Goodman always wanted to talk about their new "Florsheim" brand of dress shoes and boots. One would pick at the other saying that they really liked the looks of "their" Florsheims better than the pair the other one happened to have on. It was a "funny" exchange of wits back and forth and everyone got a kick out of it. Tammy, from the bottom of my heart I would like to say how much I admired Jack and his ability and professionalism displayed during his time with the Goodman Family. They were at the peak of their career during the time Jack spent with them, and I always felt that Jack, along with the other great musicians in the band were HUGELY responsible for a lot of their success! Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to share with you. Good luck and may God bless you and your beautiful daughters! Roger Dillingham Smile

Tammi Smith

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2016 7:00 pm     Love the stories about Jack!

Thank you Roger for your kind words! We love to hear stories about Jack! Thank you so much for sharing....God bless you!

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2016 10:19 am    

Is this guitar still for sale? Im sorry If I missed the price. Thanks

Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 8:01 pm     Jack Smith ZUM Steel

here are some better pics of Jack's ZUM. As you may know, Bruce Zumstead is not taking orders for new guitars right now, so if you want one of the finest guitars ever built, this is a great opportunity to own a very special ZUM.

It has four pedals and 6 knee levers. Tammi is asking $4,000. Plus actual shipping cost from Phoenix, Az. The guitar is well worth that price. We need to help her find a buyer for this guitar.

Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 5:16 am    

TTT

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 6:13 pm     Jack's playing

Hi Tammy, you have my condolence first of all and I wish you the best luck with your sale. I'd love to help but am strapped myself right now for different reasons. I really want to just say how much I enjoyed the video someone posted with Jack playing steel. I'm not sure what the song at 01:50 is called but I loved the way Jack played on it and everything else I heard. Such a nice touch!! It's songs and playing like his that carry the essence of steel guitar and how beautiful someone can make it sound. It's the reason I started playing the thing myself and playing like his really hits home for me. Again, good luck with your sale....All my best...BY

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 1:55 pm     Re: Jack's playing

Barry Yasika wrote:
Hi Tammy, you have my condolence first of all and I wish you the best luck with your sale. I'd love to help but am strapped myself right now for different reasons. I really want to just say how much I enjoyed the video someone posted with Jack playing steel. I'm not sure what the song at 01:50 is called but I loved the way Jack played on it and everything else I heard. Such a nice touch!! It's songs and playing like his that carry the essence of steel guitar and how beautiful someone can make it sound. It's the reason I started playing the thing myself and playing like his really hits home for me. Again, good luck with your sale....All my best...BY

The song you mentioned in called "The Lighthouse", and it was written by Ronnie Hinson.

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 7:13 am    

is this steel still available?

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 5:35 am     Jack Smith

Hello Tammi,

I had the privilege of hearing Jack play for the Happy Goodman Family way back in the early 70's. I still listen to him play on the "100 miles outa Nashville" recording. I have listened to that recording on 8-track tape, cassette tape, long play album, and now cd. I have it in my car and listen to it often. Jack was my all-time favorite steel player. I have tried to emulate his sound, but I can't quite get there! My favorite tune is "The Old Rugged Cross." Jack also played every song on the "Leave Your Sorrows" album by the Goodmans in 1973, which I consider their very best one ever. (I have them all!) I am so sorry for your loss. Jack was so good on the steel guitar! It was as if he was "anointed" to play steel. I am so glad I found this site so I could have the honor of sending this post to you. May God Bless You Always.

Tony Edwards