The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Logic X - Amp Plug Ins
Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 11:27 am    

I've been working through the amp plug ins in Logic X and can't seem to come up with a good base amp tone . All of the presets sound pretty thin on steel even after tweaking. The Blackface seems to be ok but distorts at even at low channel gain.
Wondering if anyone has a good amp they have discovered for a big fat clean steel without all that brittle top end. That may come close to emulating a Nashville 400, Webb or Milkman Half and half, etc.
Or are the amps a lost cause and maybe just try to go effects only?

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 9:11 am    

I've had Overloud TH2 for a long time, and it works good for me. I think it's TH3 now maybe? I actually took one of the 'crunch' settings and cleaned it up to my taste. The clean models didn't seem to be that close to what I wanted, despite having the right names; 'Twin Verb' or 'Black Panel' or whatever they were called.

I've also done quite a few tracks direct with some EQ and verb, and it's viable as well IMO.. just depends on what you're looking for I suppose.

FWIW, I tried the Logic amp sims, and never got anything that I cared to try more than once. OK maybe, not great. I'm still on Logic 9 BTW, on an old Mac Pro.. Not sure how the Logic X amp sims compare.

A good friend swears by this:
https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-desktop/

I've heard him sound great on it, and they have a free demo, but I haven't really tried it yet.

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 11:09 am    

I realize that this is going to be up to whatever the player's preference is.
One player might think something sounds amazing while someone different will think it sounds like dog poo.

So...with that in mind:

After all of the experimenting I've done with different amp modeling software (Bias, Line 6 Amp Farm, Overloud,Logic Pro X,etc.) and after giving lots of praise to Bias on this very forum, I've gone back to using real amps.

I think amp modelers are great for late night practice or maybe recording a rough sketch, but they're just not the same as using a real amp.
IMO, they don't respond to touch the same way real amps do.
Plus I like being able to experiment with whatever mic I choose in whatever room I choose.
Yes amp sims have different mic models to choose from, but mic placement choices seem to be limited and I'm not all that impressed with the mic modeling.
Maybe a combination of amp modeling along with real amps for layering a guitar track could work sometimes. I'm always up for an experiment.

There's my opinion.

YMMV

Rick

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 1:19 pm    

I have the TH3 (came with Sonar Platinum) but I haven't found anything that turns me on.

For direct, I've done a lot of steel tracks with a POD X3 and a preamp program that I set up for recording.

I've tried a SansAmp, both a Bass and Guitar versions and they are not close to the POD X3 program I have. The SansAmp Bass does work well for Bass.

As noted, its personal preference. What one perceives as crap someone else may like.

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 3:16 pm    

I've used modeling technology and effect plug ins on many recordings with Electric Guitar that sounded unbelievably good.

But so far I just just can't seem to find anything that suits for a big fat clean tone for steel. The visuals and the ease of production are so tantalizing..

I just did a session today and used a Revelation into A Milkman Half and Half ...sounded killer

Best thing maybe just keep using the amps

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 7:51 am    

Charlie Thompson wrote:
I've used modeling technology and effect plug ins on many recordings with Electric Guitar that sounded unbelievably good.

But so far I just just can't seem to find anything that suits for a big fat clean tone for steel. The visuals and the ease of production are so tantalizing..

I just did a session today and used a Revelation into A Milkman Half and Half ...sounded killer

Best thing maybe just keep using the amps

If you're looking for crunch tones, you can definitely get acceptable results using amp modeling with a 6 string guitar.
Still, I can hear a little bit of "fizz" with most amp modelers when the guitar starts to decay.

Where I think amp modeling fails for both pedal steel and 6 string guitar, is when you try to create a "warm" clean tone.
The clean tones that I've been able to get so far with modelers sounds a bit brittle and sterile to my ears.

I'd stay with the Milkman if you already have one of those.
There's my .02

Rick