The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Am I Getting Too Old
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 7:18 am    

I would guess the average age of steel players is about 60. If you start going to conventions and hanging out with the steel community. .. it may just be the best retirement project ever.

Nigel Mullen

Cassilis, New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 9:32 am    

I have been playing steel for about 50 years. I am 76 years old and am still playing regularly in a local country band. I purchased a 2 wheeled cart a couple of years ago to help me move my stuff around but other than that it's the same as it's always been. I really love to get out and play and meet new people etc. Go for it man you'll love it. NM

Teddy Self

Atlanta Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 6:09 pm     Not to old to play

Alan, you are never to old to play as long as you are having fun. My first time setting at a PSG was at 76 and now I'll be 81 in Dec . I play at least 5 or 6 times a week. So as long as you're still Vertical, never stop playing and making music. It helps you stay young.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 6:17 pm     Not To Old!!!! Never To Old!!!!

Been playing for 35 years. Was out of it for 7 years. My youngest daughter passed away from a terminal illness. She was incoherent and bed ridden for 6 years. I had a good friend of mine coax me into buying another PSG and getting back into it. Been playing again now for 10 years. Doing all county fairs and festivals now and having a great time. Just recently bought me a Mullen Discovery from a forum member. I am 63 years old now.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 8:40 pm    

Just got home after the second gig of the weekend. Both nights were great! Lots of fun playing and seeing all our friends and fans enjoying themselves. It so good to be doing this at my age of 67. The steel guitar, for me, is a lifetime passion. I'm hoping to do this for many years to come. And, hopefully I will.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 5:24 am    

Dave Stroud wrote:
I just started at 22.... it's never too late Very Happy

I started at 63. The age is irrelevant, the only question should be "Am I having fun?"

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 9:20 am    

Lyle makes a good point that it's a lot easier to learn nowadays with all the online resources, not least this forum. Of course you still have to put in the hours, but you have a clearer idea of what you're trying to achieve.

Alan's original post was about coming out of retirement, and I think if you can already play it would be a shame to let your knowledge go to waste. I believe in keeping the business open if you can. I thought my trombone playing days were over as no-one had asked me to play for two years - then last week the phone rang, so you never know.

As for the pedal steel, what this thread seems to say is

1. If you physically can, why not?
2. Mentally, it keeps you sharp like a musical crossword puzzle
3. What else would you be doing?

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2016 6:33 am     Great for your old brain!

My best friend is the professor of Neuro Science at Tulane, his speciality is memory. He has been telling me lately that there is a good amount of data supporting learning and memorizing of new things to help ward off Alzheimer's . Also some evidence that active musicians have a very low rate of Alzheimer's . So I suggest all of us older gents keep playing, but especially learn and memorize new things, besides that it's fun as heck!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2016 8:35 am    

I will soon be 70 and have been playing pedal steel since I was 22. I cant think of a better way to spend the day than sitting behind my steel playing. As has been stated here, it is very good for the brain to learn another instrument or to continue learning on an existing instrument that you play. Not a day goes by that I dont learn something new, but thats easy for me as I know so little ! haha
Anyway, have fun, that is the number one goal, imho !!
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2016 8:44 am    

That's encouraging, Bryan! My musical career to date has been notation-based, even on bass - so I'm not very good at remembering things because I've never had to.

But now I'm playing an instrument where most people seem to have the song in their head and their eyes on the strings, so I'm making myself do the same. I'm beginning to gain some confidence in my musical memory, but still no luck remembering where I put my glasses Smile

(Also, any tips on how to deal with a poltergeist that leaves cups of cold coffee all over the house?)

John Orr

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 6:28 am     playing for life

I played for 10 years, in my twenties then made a fool decision to practice law. At 59 I bought anoth3r double neck and it has been my passion, it gives me hope, joy and mental strength. Just like music. I am will play til it hurts. Hang in there.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 11:10 am    

I'm 70 years old. I played lead guitar for many years in bands. I started playing the pedal steel at age 63 and Am enjoying every minute of it. I learn every day and hope to keep playing for as long as I live. You're never too old!

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 12:40 pm    

Alan, I'm 84 and been playing with a great Traditional country band for 12 years and still working a couple nights a week at the VFW, so I think you have many more good years to play the Steel Guitar, go for it, Shorty

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 4:01 pm    

What have you got to lose..?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 1:57 am    

Charley, that's the best and simplest answer yet Cool

Gary Dillard

Tuscaloosa, AL
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 5:33 am    

Just have FUN!! I played 18 yrs in the pro ranks and literally got sick of it...put the steel up for 10 yrs...now, having a BLAST playing at home and entertaining my cat..she LOVES it!

Try not to get frustrated, my advice, things will come with time..again make it fun and pick up what you can from other steelers...if they do not want to show you, just consider them an a$$.

One thing I learned along lifes musical way, a TRUE pro will show you how they did a run or lick. HAVE FUN MY FRIEND!

Gibson Hartwell

Missoula, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 8:10 pm    

Maybe he'll chime in, but Louis Armentaro up here in Livingston, Montana is still playing at 93 and sounds great!

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 10:15 am    

When I was a teenager I always had dreams of being a rock and roll star. Now, coming up to 71, I think I might have left it too late.

But, with all the original rock and rollers having passed away, and so many budding rockers who became bank managers, farmers, etc., and never gave up their day jobs, but are now in retirement, can we look forward to a resurgence of would-be stars who are now ready for the limelight?

Geriatric Rock -here we come. Very Happy Cool

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 11:44 am    

At 60, I'm finding I'm a lot more susceptible to repetitive strain injuries than even a few years ago. I haven't been able to work on palm blocking for months now because it causes a flare up of tennis elbow.

Larry Welter

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 2:21 pm    

us older guys need to play and enjoy our steels today,,we are all only one stroke away,,,,, Oh Well

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 2:03 pm    

I would worry a bit more about being to young. Jay Y.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2016 10:47 am    

It has much to do with desire than age. Not having a steel is not going to inspire you. I've always wanted to play steel but wanting and not having one don't work.

Get a steel and get inspired.