The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pulling strings 1 and 2
Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 5:35 pm    

Ok...got a steel that has RKL pulling string 1 from F# to a G and string 2 from D# to E. Can anyone tell me why...or what is the purpose? Usually the lever would
be pulling strings 1 and 7 to a G.
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 6:18 pm    

Derrick that first string pull normally goes F# to G# .. there is lots of uses for it but one thing it does is give you a unison note (with the lever engaged) with string 3 .... hit string 3, engage the lever then hit string 1, then let the lever off !
Same with string 2 and string 4 ...unison notes again... there is some quite common licks and and riffs using both these combinations together.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 6:27 pm    

Here's a video I did showing some uses for it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XUykptG6DBQ

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 7:16 pm     continuing

Ok..thanks already Lane and Paddy..I am still very much a beginner. this is my 4th pedal steel in a year..
my other steels pulled strings 1 and 7, which I think is a typical setup..so I was a little stumped..also when I received it..it was out of tune..string 1 was a very flat G#..so I thought it was perhaps it was supposed to be just a halfstep raise to G. So per Paddy
maybe this should be to G# instead..the important thing is this is a somewhat normal lever setup and maybe I should keep it and try it..I already talked to Jimmie Hudson who originally built this guitar about taking the raise on string 2 off and and pulling string 7 to a G as normal...how about doing strings 1,2 and 7 on 1 lever??? comments
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 8:13 pm    

If you're gonna pull only to G, you kinda defeat the purpose of the 2nd string raise.
My LKR raises 1 to G and lowers 6 to F#

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 1:24 am    

I have my Sierra RKL set up on 1 & 2 raise & 6 lower. Not the most perfect setup to drop the 6th on the same knee as raising 1 & 2, but I make it work. I can pedal on the 2nd pedal to bring the 6th back up to G# when utilizing that knee if I need to.

I set my RKR to 2nd lower, 9th lower, & 7th raise, and this works out quite well for my style of playing.

You can kinda tune a half stop into the mix with the 1/2 string raise, 6th lower & keep the F# to G#; Tune the 2nd & 6th strings to start to engage when the 1rst string reaches "G". I have done this on both of my right knees & it works out great for me.

I hope that all makes sense the way I explained it! Winking

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 3:18 am    

That change came with my Sho~Bud and I kind of like it.

When you are doing a harmonised scale all on the same fret, the last 2 steps instead of 1&2 open followed by 3&4 open, you can bend into the final one by engaging the lever on 1&2.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 5:37 am    

I have this change on my Mullen. But I got rid of the six lower and raise the 7 to a G. It also acts as a half stop for the first string. Probably not the best way to do it, but it's what works for me. I just couldn't get used to the sixth string lower. So now I raise 1,2, and 7

Steve Knight

NC
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 7:42 am    

I use the RKL to pull 1 & 2 up to G# and E fairly often. It lets you play a major scale, harmonized in 3rds on those strings up/down the neck. If you engage the lever, you have a major 3rd, if you release the lever, you're back to a minor 3rd. It's great.

I also lower 6 to F# with that lever, and have a half-stop to get the G. The full lower gives me major and minor 3rds on strings 6 & 8 (or 6 & 4), allowing me to harmonize the major scale up/down in thirds (or 6ths) on those strings.

I also have LKR set to lower 4 & 8 to D#, allowing me to have a play a" major triad with no pedals/levers on any of strings 34568 10, then engage the LKR and RKL lowers to get the "five" chord of that major chord. In other words, at fret 1 or 12, this changes between an E and B chord. This is part of the default GFI copedant. I prefer lowering 6 to F#/G vs. raising 7 to the G.

http://gfimusicalproducts.com/documentation.html#E9Copedent

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 7:49 am     basics

Ok.. to step one..should my 1st string..the F#..be raised to a G or a G#??

Bare in mind I received this steel out of tune and never had a lever raising strings 1 and 2. so I tuned the 1st string to a G with the lever raise..it may be supposed to a G# instead.

Finally I have my 2nd string going from a D# to an E..
on that lever..Is that correct?

sorry for the repeats but I just want to make sure!!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 8:15 am    

If you raise 2, raise 1 to G#. The two go together as a pair.
Is that a "correct" use of RKL? That's not the right question. It's a common use of RKL.
I prefer that change on a pedal, so as to combine it with the change I have on RKR, but a LOT of people who have that change put it on RKL.

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 9:20 am    

Ok...got it...Thanks Lane...I'll put that 1st string to a G#

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 11:07 am    

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/E9%201st%202nd%20%207th%20String%20Raise%20Tab.html

a few more uses for these changes. Just listen to the sound files to see if they interest you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger