The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Musician Identification Please!
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 7:36 pm    

I was visiting my 89 year old Dad tonight, and he pulled out some old pictures. I was hoping he came across the one of Shot Jackson standing behind me as I sat at a red Professional upstairs on Broadway in 1973. No luck there, but he did give me some that I probably took in June of 1966 at a Roy Clark show in Oklahoma City. I was thirteen, and a big Roy Clark fan.

Any of you old timers recognize anyone besides Roy?

Curt Shoemaker

Ionia, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 8:57 pm    

Kenny,

The name of the band was "The Ranch Boys" from Wichita,Ks formed by Mack Sanders, and was a part of KFRM radio. The show was sponsored by Cudahy Packing Co. also from Wichita. Tommy Boulanger on steel, Wayne Pollard on lead, Gene Morris on bass, not sure about the others.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 9:50 pm    

Curt - Thanks for the info! I'd like to know more about this show. I'm having a hard time remembering where it was for sure. I'm thinking it might have been at the Civic Center Music Hall in OKC. Being thirteen, I wouldn't have strayed far from home I know, so I'm sure it was here.

Did Cudahy do shows regionally with other artists, or just Roy Clark? Is Tommy still with us? I can't make out what steel he's playing...based on a couple of other pictures I can tell it's double neck. It also appears to have 8 pedals, but spaced in two groups of four? Or, it could have nine and the lighting is weird on the 5th one. The space appears to be wider after the fourth.

Really cool that you knew these guys! If you have more info, I would like for you to post!

Curt Shoemaker

Ionia, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 10:37 pm    

Tommy passed away a few years back. As for the show, it traveled around in a four state area. There were several performers as I recall such as Jimmy Dean, Web Pierce, Jean Shepard, Tex RItter, etc. Sanders would bring these artists here to the Midwest as a single act, then put his band behind them.

Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 3:41 am    

Hey Shoe....I remember the Mack Sanders era, as he also owned KOOO in Omaha. I was working with their band at the time. Mack would bring the same people to Omaha from Wichita.....The only name I remember was Pollard, because Mack called him "Pitiful Pollard"....Jimmy Dean was almost a regular on these shows, as I think he and Mack were pretty close....There, now I have dated myself.....PS Hope to see you in Baxter!

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 3:12 pm    

Thanks again for the information!

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 6:33 pm    

Great photos, Kenny! Before my time, but I'd almost swear that's the Farmers Market!? Maybe not, but kinda reminds me of the place...