The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stick on vinyl finish?
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 7:43 pm    

Has anyone tried some kind of stick-on or cling vinyl to temporarily or semi-permanently change the finish of their mica pedal steel? I'd like to try it, but I don't want to buy the wrong thing, and it must be reversible (no residue). Thanks for any advice!

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 10:35 pm    

Look for the stuff used by people who style their cars trying to look cool and failing miserably Winking ...
There's faux carbon, chrome, wood or, metallic and solid color vinyl tape available, not expensive, works fine on mica, is easy to apply and can be removed without any damage. Just make sure to remove the neck and keyhead before you apply the tape, otherwise it's very tricky to get a precise fit.

Here's just one example out of several hundred:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-127cm-3D-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Car-Wrap-Sheet-Roll-Film-Sticker-Decal-/381640044004?var=&hash=item58db84ede4:m:mEzFLgqd5AEehx2yBip5vyQ&vxp=mtr

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 2:13 am    

Jerry Overstreet did a Zum in orange vinyl, I talked to him about it & he gave me some pointers. Here is the thread.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=291260&highlight=

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 2:28 am    

I saw a Zum SD10 that was wrapped. Couldn't tell the difference. I know the keyhead was taken off for the wrap, neck may have been too.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 2:48 am    

I don't know whether a thin layer of vinyl will affect tone, but I guess it would be best to remove the vinyl from the neck and keyhead areas after application, so there is nothing soft between the metal and the old mica surface. Don't try to make the vinyl fit over the neck without removing it, it is extremely fiddly (have tried, and had to order new vinyl)!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 8:15 am    

Sounds like gilding a lily and white washing it after that. Whoa!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 9:14 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=255137&highlight=

John Widgren does the very nicest job covering steel cabinets. Check out the Emmons carbon fiber wrap.

I've done 2 D10's. I used Oracal 651 sign vinyl, cut out by my friend's sign shop. This product is fairly easily peeled off mica and any remaining adhesive backing can be cleaned up with ordinary alcohol.

Recommended though is the 3M auto wrap stuff. It's can be repositioned, has micro pores to let out all the air, squeegees out nicely too. As far as reversible, I don't know. You can check out the specs on 3M's website though. There have been many improvements in it since I did mine.

I removed the headstocks and necks on the ones I did and sandwiched the stuff between them. It made absolutely no difference in the sound. Both of mine were some type of faux woodgrain pattern mica. They were both much more visually appealing to me following the wrap job.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 11:40 am    

Both of the guitars look great in that thread. How is the long term wear, I wonder? Will the edges lift, peel, or start to shrink away from the edges of the chrome, etc.

Last edited by Tim Russell on 9 Sep 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 12:45 pm    

I too, have tried to refinish my steel in Vinyl. I also tried with the guitar still intact and it didn't really work out. Too hard to get tight fit without scratching original mica.
While Im in this post,
Is there anybody out there that would re Mica my G2 for me for some fast cash? I would pay a fair price. Thanks