The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Random underlined words
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 6:31 pm    

I'm getting random words with underlines. They are not links. I'm getting them here on the forum, and Facebook messenger. I had this issue once before and asked about it here and got it fixed. That was on my PC. Now it's on my iPad. Now I can't remember what it was. I Googled it, but never found anything that zeros in on it.

These are solid blue lines.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 6:53 pm    

It's not happening on my PC like it was the last time I experienced this.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 7:11 pm    

It's not happening to me at all, must just be your computer.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2016 6:05 am     Re: Random underlined words

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I'm getting random words with underlines. They are not links. I'm getting them here on the forum, and Facebook messenger. I had this issue once before and asked about it here and got it fixed. That was on my PC. Now it's on my iPad. Now I can't remember what it was. I Googled it, but never found anything that zeros in on it.

These are solid blue lines.

It would help if you can grab a screen capture of your browser when the underlined words appear. The easiest way is to activate the Windows Snipping Tool, via Start > All Apps > Windows Accessories > Snipping Tool. Use it to draw a box around the pertinent content, then Save to your Desktop, or Pictures. You can upload it to the forum for us to review.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2016 6:45 am    

I don't think that will work on an iPad, Wiz.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2016 10:07 am    

My girlfriend is getting it on her ipad and iphone. When I get time, I'll see if I can find something on one of the forums. It's really strange.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2016 7:08 pm    

Anybody seeing these underlined words, would you please list some of those words in a reply? It will help me analyze if it is an ad network, a Trojan, or a spell checker feature.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 12:15 pm    

It's not a spell checker thing. It is a solid blue line similar to a link, but it isn't a link. I first noticed it on the word TOMORROW. My girlfriend and I use FB Messenger to communicate a lot. It underlines Tomorrow in both hers and my posts. It happens on other random words, and even here on the forum, but only on the iOS products. My PC doesn't do it. If they are still in my messages to her, I'll try to get a screen shot somehow.

It's not critical, but an annoyance. At first I thought it was a misspelled word, or grammar issue. The word was spelled right (checked and tried to correct many times. Even looked up the spelling on the internet).

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 1:02 pm    

I took this photo of the lines on my iPad.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 2:24 pm    

Apple software often makes recognizable dates or times into active links to their calendar. The his looks like those.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 2:26 pm    

If you make reference to a date or time, your Apple device will offer to post it in your calendar. That looks like the case in your example. (looks like you beat me to it, Ken)

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 4:28 pm    

My Samsung Galaxy 5 does the same thing when I use Facebook Messenger. It underlines locations, money, dates and other items that may be useful for appointments, travel, or finances. This doesn't happen when I view the Facebook website in a browser on the phone; just the Messenger app.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 9:35 pm    

I think we have an answer. I never get the option to add anything to my (?) calendar.

Thanks everyone.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 9:37 pm    

Ken Pippus wrote:
Apple software often makes recognizable dates or times into active links to their calendar. The his looks like those.

Theses are not active links, at least on our iOS devices. I've clicked on them and they don't do anything.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 6:04 am    

I think that these computers are trying to tell us something's happening tomorrow night. Be aware.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 6:44 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Ken Pippus wrote:

Theses are not active links, at least on our iOS devices. I've clicked on them and they don't do anything.

There may be some setting to follow underlined words under the text message options.