The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone play "If I Had You" ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 4:21 pm    

I love playing this great tune on the guitar chord melody style, but I have never approached it on steel. I can hear it on steel and I think it would make a pretty tune on C6th especially. When I get my D10 in a couple of weeks, I am going to work it out on C6th. In the meantime, does anyone play this tune and have a version they would play via mp3 or youtube ?
Thanks !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 7:50 am    

I play it on steel while listening to Diana Krall sing it on the CD...does that count Question I know you mean instrumentally, of course, but no. Great tune though and I think it will sound great on steel. Let us hear it when you're ready.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 5:44 am    

I tabbed out this tune for E9th yesterday and it lays pretty well on there...I think it will be even better on C6th. In the meantime, I am going to put my tab out there for people to suggest alternative ways to play it...my arrangement is pretty straight forward, but it does work...haha ! BTW Jerry I love Diana Kralls music...I may go see her in concert in October in Phoenix...depends on the ticket prices ! She has had a lot of good guitarist playing with her, not sure who is doing it now, but I am sure he is a great one. She is a wonderful singer and piano picker ! Smile Jerry, I think you and I have a lot of common music taste ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 7:07 am    

I took my tab off until, and if, I make it more professional looking,,,just not worth taking up the space on the forum.

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 5 Sep 2016 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 8:54 am    

Thanks for the tab Larry. I'll be trying it soon as I get a pedal guitar set up again. JO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84dSw0oUB6E&list=RD84dSw0oUB6E&index=2

Found this version of I Had You online. I believe it's Jerry Gleason. No pedals. The comments indicate it's C13 tuning. It's Louisiana Fairy Tale first, then about 2:35, If I Had You.

What a fabulous player and delicious tone. I don't know him, but I surely enjoy his playing and choice of music.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 9:17 am    

Great find Jerry ! Wow I really enjoyed that medley...Louisiana Fairy Tail was used as a theme song for This Old House on PBS. Back in the 90s I used to communicate with Jerry...I got a CD from him where he recorded all the instruments...standards, hawaiian, christmas music, wonderful CD...his playing on both instruments is masterful...what a talented man !
Thanks for the response.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 12:36 am    

Thanks for the kind words, guys!